Euro 2020

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

3 matches behind closed doors for Hungary, but the penalty stands for UEFA competitions, not FIFA.

So Hungary will have a crowd in the World Cup Qualifiers. They won't have in any of their next Nations League matches.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

air wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 19:52 2+1 matches with closed doors for Hungary after "racist and discriminative behavior against France". (If I understand well, it is valid for the UEFA NL games.)

What else to say? Go and fuck yourself UEFA you real piece of shit, you enemies of supporters and free speech and you tiny bastards who want to look imporant all the time.
https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer ... ilerSga3tB

Yes, that should be correct. It says "UEFA competition games". World Cup is FIFA, so it should be your first two Nations League games which begin after UEFA WCQ ends. The +1 goes away in 2 years if not triggered.

There's also a €100,000 fine and UEFA has also ordered the Hungarian Football Federation to display a banner with the wording "Equal Game" during its upcoming matches without spectators in the stadium.

My head is disappointed it won't come down on our WCQ, but my heart wants to see the spectacle of England stepping into that place with the same crowd as in Hungary's Euro games.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

air wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 20:10 This is ridiculous, this is double standards. In München faggots can walk on the pitch during the Hungarian National Anthem without sanctions. Orbán was the first supporting Uefa against SuperLeague. These people are simply stupid as hell to politics and see only short term, money to steal.

From today I support Superleague and any initiative of regional leagues, first of all a Central European league. We will fuck these bastards.
I know it hurts, but it's not double standards. They shut down the protest the Germans wanted to make against Hungary's new law. This kind of stuff for fan behaviour has been on UEFA's books for a long time.
air

Post by air »

Lorric wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 20:35
air wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 20:10 This is ridiculous, this is double standards. In München faggots can walk on the pitch during the Hungarian National Anthem without sanctions. Orbán was the first supporting Uefa against SuperLeague. These people are simply stupid as hell to politics and see only short term, money to steal.

From today I support Superleague and any initiative of regional leagues, first of all a Central European league. We will fuck these bastards.
I know it hurts, but it's not double standards. They shut down the protest the Germans wanted to make against Hungary's new law. This kind of stuff for fan behaviour has been on UEFA's books for a long time.
I am sure that legally or even morally the decision can be justified. There is no absolute dimension to compare monkey chants of some people (no idea, how many, not going into guessing) and showing disrespect to an anthem. Or to compare with what happened outside the venues in some Western countries.

The decision is surprising after Budapest was the venue which gave the real football atmosphere to this tournament, and after the Hungarian government supported UEFA not just against Superleague but anytime when they needed third parties to help out during covid, in international cups.

Lessons learned, I am curious if our government will take up the glove. No question that they have the support.
matt

Post by matt »

48 hours.
International break hater
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

nogomet wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:25 Funny, when VAR called up the referee to overturn his decision and give Czechia a penalty against Croatia for Lovren's elbow, slow motion was used instead of normal speed.
I didn't follow every match closely, so I didn't know. That sucks and is incorrect. Who was the referee? Did he get several more matches?
greenbay wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:30 To keep things stupid simple: VAR is rubbish. I told you so before. From long experience as an NFL fan. Even in American Football, as sports way better suited for the use of reviews, most times such review won't make the game more fair. What does not work in the NFL, can't work with football. With a game play way more complex than just those NFL game plays hardly lasting longer than 5 seconds. So in football in the old days, we have argued about wrong penalty decisions. Now it's even worse. We're arguing about wrong penalty decision AND on top we are arguing about why the VAR didn't overturn the wrong decision. Rubbish! Told you so before.
Come on man, you sound like a sour Vikings or Lions fan! :degsmile:

Joking, I assume you're a Packers fan for obvious reasons.

But seriously, it's not VAR who is at fault by the controversies growing in number in the last few years; if that was the case, why were they few and far between in the 2000's decade? Instead, the culprit is the NFL's insistence on fixing what ain't broken regarding the already complicated rules on penalties and catches. The rulebook is now bloated and open to more interpretations than ever, so every perceived unfair call that isn't reversed gets amplified anger now.

The existence of VAR has not and will never be controversial in American football, it lends itself to it with all the pauses. In association football though, it needs to be adjusted way beyond its current form to reach that state.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Lots of stats comparing England to Italy over the tournament:

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-re ... assing-xg/

Some interesting things to talk about.

You can see England's high % chances prioritisation philosophy at play here. Italy have taken 98 shots to England's 50, but despite almost double shots, only 2 more goals (12 to 10), 5 more shots on target (26 to 21) and 1.2 more XG (8.8 to 7.6). Italy took about 60% of shots in the box to about 75% for England. England also got 4 shots in the 6 yard box to Italy's 2.

England's defence has been stronger. 1 goal conceded vs 3. XG against 3.4 vs 5.5. Both teams have substantially overperformed their XG both for attacking and defending.

Both teams are almost exactly the same for passing accuracy, Italy just 0.1% more accurate at 86.9%. England have enjoyed a little more possession at 54.2%, 1.9% more than Italy. England cross the ball somewhat more and are also a little better with their % of successful crosses. England are far superior at taking the ball in the tackle, Italy successful in the tackle 28.4% of the time, England 62.3%.
seso

Post by seso »

Very much looking forward to the final tomorrow! I have enjoyed very much Euro 2020 so far! Teams without big stars, nice matches etc! I did not mind VAR! I did not like the multiple venues and the qualification of teams from the Nations League. Also 24 qualified teams is too many for a European competition final stage imo; 18 would be better. Let's see which team will lift the trophy tomorrow!!
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

England got fined 30,000 euros for the incidents they were charged with.
matt

Post by matt »

A good thing is that EUROs don't have the useless final for the third place like the FIFA World Cup.
International break hater
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

matt wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 16:19 A good thing is that EUROs don't have the useless final for the third place like the FIFA World Cup.
They tend to be good matches though. Copa America just had Colombia beating Peru 3-2. I'd watch a 3rd place Euro playoff. Nations League has one.

I'm glad you don't lose FIFA points in KO rounds. In the Elo Ratings system, England got to the World Cup semi finals and ended up with less points than they started the tournament with. They only lost to higher ranked teams too, beating lower ranked ones.
ultra2013

Post by ultra2013 »

This final will be the 11th final in this century between world champions.

World Cup:
2014 Germany-Argentina
2006 Italy-France
2002 Brazil-Germany

EURO:
2021 Italy-England
2012 Spain-Italy
2000 France-Italy

Confederations Cup:
2013 Brazil-Spain
2005 Brazil-Argentina

Copa America:
2021 Argentina-Brazil
2007 Brazil-Argentina
2004 Brazil-Argentina
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

air wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 19:52 2+1 matches with closed doors for Hungary after "racist and discriminative behavior against France". (If I understand well, it is valid for the UEFA NL games.)

What else to say? Go and fuck yourself UEFA you real piece of shit, you enemies of supporters and free speech and you tiny bastards who want to look imporant all the time.
UEFA always trains rigor in Eastern European countries. In Croatia, the national team has played with closed doors several times, as have clubs. Joe Simunic ended his career prematurely due to UEFA sanctions. UEFA doesn't seem to know who invented Nazism, fascism and racism, so they always push it to Eastern Europe. :down:
subway14

Post by subway14 »

babaluj1 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 22:54

UEFA always trains rigor in Eastern European countries. In Croatia, the national team has played with closed doors several times, as have clubs. Joe Simunic ended his career prematurely due to UEFA sanctions. UEFA doesn't seem to know who invented Nazism, fascism and racism, so they always push it to Eastern Europe. :down:
wtf does it matter who invented it Image it's who practices it what is important
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Last time Italy hosted a major tournament, Germany stole the trophy.
Last time England hosted a major tournament, Germany stole the trophy.
Today ... Italy ... stealing it from England? Football's going Rome? :grin1:
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."