2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
mavano

Post by mavano »

I believe they use total medals in the US where the rest of the world generally counts gold, then silver, then bronze. But that wasn’t really the point. I

Gracenote is also in part behind euroclubindex. They do a lot of forecasting and modeling stuff for media and others.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Gold counts first, in case of same number of golds you count silver, and in case of both being tied you count bronze (so, total).
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

I didn't notice that OG had already began.
Vee_1

Post by Vee_1 »

Football and Softball both started today the official opening ceremony isn't until Friday.
Vee_1

Post by Vee_1 »

Hockey starts on Saturday Red Lions play Netherlands in the first game which is No 2 in the World vs No 3. Be interesting to see how Japan fair as there a complete minnow when it comes to Hockey.
subway14

Post by subway14 »

Lorric wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 18:00
Well at least it seems there'll be no taking the knee or black power fists either. It is forbidden. Get politics out of sport. :up: :clapping:

The IOC's Rule 50 forbids any kind of "demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda" in venues and any other Olympic area and the Games body concluded the rule should be maintained following an athlete consultation.
didn't age well Image
US and Team GB women's football teams take the knee before their opening Tokyo 2020 matches - but Olympic social media teams 'are BANNED from showing it'
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

subway14 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 22:27
Lorric wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 18:00
Well at least it seems there'll be no taking the knee or black power fists either. It is forbidden. Get politics out of sport. :up: :clapping:

The IOC's Rule 50 forbids any kind of "demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda" in venues and any other Olympic area and the Games body concluded the rule should be maintained following an athlete consultation.
didn't age well Image
US and Team GB women's football teams take the knee before their opening Tokyo 2020 matches - but Olympic social media teams 'are BANNED from showing it'
Yeah, I know. Rules got relaxed after further consultation with athletes.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Well, the Olympics just produced the most ridiculous example of cancel culture or opinion necromancy or whatever description fits this the best.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57924885

Opening ceremony director sacked a day before the ceremony.

For holocaust jokes. As a comedian.

In the nineties. :roll:

There'll be people here who haven't even been alive that long.

There's another one in there about someone, okay they didn't get fired they stepped down, but after it came up they were a school bully. Now I hate bullies. And schools are way too lenient / can't be bothered with them, which is why it's so prevalent, but at what point do we let this stuff go? Why are we punishing an adult for what they did when they weren't an adult? Might as well just throw everyone who's a bully on the scrapheap now if it's going to stop them being able to have jobs as adults. What's the point of growing and improving yourself if it means nothing?
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Already 2 Dutch sporters tested positive and have seen their olympics go up in smoke :(
Unclear how they got it. They are al ready a few days in Japan, so have been tested before the last days.....
I hope Corona will not be spreading through the olympic village, such a sad story.
It is better to not qualify and not go at all, then to be there and only then hear that you can not compete. :( :(
Vee_1

Post by Vee_1 »

It's really tough on the Athletes who have trained for years. Sadly don't think the Netherlands will be the only country effected by COVID.
ultra2013

Post by ultra2013 »

subway14

Post by subway14 »

Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Lorric wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 17:54 Well, the Olympics just produced the most ridiculous example of cancel culture or opinion necromancy or whatever description fits this the best.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57924885

Opening ceremony director sacked a day before the ceremony.

For holocaust jokes. As a comedian.

In the nineties. :roll:

There'll be people here who haven't even been alive that long.

There's another one in there about someone, okay they didn't get fired they stepped down, but after it came up they were a school bully. Now I hate bullies. And schools are way too lenient / can't be bothered with them, which is why it's so prevalent, but at what point do we let this stuff go? Why are we punishing an adult for what they did when they weren't an adult? Might as well just throw everyone who's a bully on the scrapheap now if it's going to stop them being able to have jobs as adults. What's the point of growing and improving yourself if it means nothing?
Let's just say now that I've seen the opening ceremony, the tone of it, I'm much less surprised by this.

If you're planning on watching the ceremony some time later, save yourself the trouble.

An enormous disappointment.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Have to admit though as a gamer that hearing video game music as the athletes come out is amazing. It actually works really well on its own merits.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

This one male and one female flag bearer thing actually doesn't work. Because they both hold one flag, they can't wave it, so it just hangs there limply.