UEFA Nations League 2022/23

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

anty1975 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 23:36 Well done Italy, one of those very rare examples when I wanted Italy to win :grin1:
at least one of our neighbours is working well. The absence of Italy at WC plays those nations into the hands which never could beat Italy in any WC or even EC mainly England and Germany and this almost since 100 years. Publicly they regret the absence of Italy for Qatar but secretly they are very happy about it! that's called hypocrisy.
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

bugylibicska wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 21:18 I'll never understand this idea of bringing the ball up from behind without possessing the technical skills. Hungary paid the price for fucking around with the ball until somebody screws up. Stupid! 0:1.
:plus1:

Just the latest trend, I have yet to be fully convinced that playing this way has a net positive impact even with teams who are good at it. Pope concerns me in this regard for England too, he could easily have cost us another goal in the match last night.
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Firnen wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 22:24
Lorric wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 22:22
Firnen wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 22:21

The national team is not an island. Southgate has this weird idea that club performances don't matter, but they do, a lot. Especially in a World Cup in the middle of the season.
Players change clubs and change their performance level massively. If he does well for you and your system, who cares if not for someone else?
In this case, we're talking about the biggest meme player in recent memory. Keep playing him, see how it turns out :grin1:
If domestic performances shouldn't be taken into account then dare we call this the "Southgatonite Theory"
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

SimonB wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:11
bugylibicska wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 21:18 I'll never understand this idea of bringing the ball up from behind without possessing the technical skills. Hungary paid the price for fucking around with the ball until somebody screws up. Stupid! 0:1.

Just the latest trend, I have yet to be fully convinced that playing this way has a net positive impact even with teams who are good at it. Pope concerns me in this regard for England too, he could easily have cost us another goal in the match last night.
I don't understand why teams seem to have all of a sudden decided to take men off posts at corners. Dykes put a header in at the far post against Ukraine, and they still didn't put a man there and he did it again!
Todor

Post by Todor »

Lorric wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 13:10

I don't understand why teams seem to have all of a sudden decided to take men off posts at corners. Dykes put a header in at the far post against Ukraine, and they still didn't put a man there and he did it again!
I guess they need them to mark the opponent's players. Probably they can't afford two players to mark the posts :).
Last edited by Todor on Tue Sep 27, 2022 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

Todor wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 13:20
Lorric wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 13:10

I guess they need them to mark the opponent's players. Probably they can't allow to lose two players to mark the posts :).
Ukraine decided not to do that either lol
YAYgee

Post by YAYgee »

If the NL remains unchanged the 3rd pot for the next NL edition is shaping up to be very kind to Poland. They already avoid being drawn into the same group as Germany and France. And if the Swiss can overtake Spain then Poland won't have to face Spain either.

Meanwhile the pot with the runners-up would include Hungary, Denmark, a Belgium side on the way down and (in case they jump over Spain) Switzerland.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Even though England U21 are kicking off with these matches, I've been the most interested beyond England by the Iberian battle to win their group and the excellent football played by Portugal. And with that game available to me on TV and being able to official stream the England game, it's too good an opportunity to ignore.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Club-Mate wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:30
anty1975 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 23:36 Well done Italy, one of those very rare examples when I wanted Italy to win :grin1:
at least one of our neighbours is working well. The absence of Italy at WC plays those nations into the hands which never could beat Italy in any WC or even EC mainly England and Germany and this almost since 100 years. Publicly they regret the absence of Italy for Qatar but secretly they are very happy about it! that's called hypocrisy.
The last six games, including our win after penalties at the EURO '16:

Your so called well working neighbour lost 2-5 here three months ago, you genius. And btw, every German fan is concerned if we even make it to the KO stage this time, I doubt that anyone thinks "oh our historically most difficult opponent isn't there, that's our chance!". Not in this situation with a German team with maybe the worst mentality ever and without a real striker in the box.

PS: no comment about Austria? :cry:
Mack

Post by Mack »

Getting ready for the battle of the 9´s. Haaland vs Mitrovic.
Polak

Post by Polak »

Mitrovic is fantastic. How does he play for Fulham while Vlahovic plays for Juventus? Should be the other way around.
Mack

Post by Mack »

Haaland with massive chance after 20 seconds. Good save by keeper.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

I wanna see the Mitrovic, Vlahovic duo in action, so Norway - Serbia.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Greece takes the lead vs Northern Ireland!

Currently Northern Ireland is bottom of the Group with Cyprus 3rd.

Edit: not for long, NI equalize.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Slovenia lead in Sweden. Swedes in serious danger now. Ireland btw are winning their relegation battle 1-0.