UEFA Nations League 2022/23

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

bugylibicska wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 23:02 This Serbia could be a formidable opponent to any team at the WC and Milinkovic- Savic was missing. They have at least 4-5 truly world class players.
They would have to beat Switzerland to advance though, something even elite teams have trouble doing.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

If none of the League B Group Winners qualify for the Euro, the ties would be Israel-Scotland (YES) and Bosnia-Serbia...which is not allowed by UEFA. What would UEFA do in such a scenario?
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Firnen wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 23:11 If none of the League B Group Winners qualify for the Euro, the ties would be Israel-Scotland (YES) and Bosnia-Serbia...which is not allowed by UEFA. What would UEFA do in such a scenario?
Make them play the other two surely? But then, what if they reached the final...
Last edited by Lorric on Tue Sep 27, 2022 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Lorric wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 23:18
Firnen wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 23:11 If none of the League B Group Winners qualify for the Euro, the ties would be Israel-Scotland (YES) and Bosnia-Serbia...which is not allowed by UEFA. What would UEFA do in such a scenario?
Make them play the other two surely?
And if they both win their ties? Wouldn't they still have to face each other for the League B spot?
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Firnen wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 23:18
Lorric wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 23:18
Make them play the other two surely?
And if they both win their ties? Wouldn't they still have to face each other for the League B spot?
Heh. I just edited my post to ask the same question. However, the final is less problematic as it's not mandated to be played in a certain country by seeding, only luck of the draw. So they could say before that draw that it's automatically a neutral closed doors venue, whatever they need it to be, before the final.

If they absolutely can't play each other, then I guess either a coin toss would decide it, or they'd give it to the higher seed, Bosnia.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

The C playoff path last time was Scotland vs Israel and Norway vs Serbia.

Scotland are lined up against Israel if they miss the Euro and Serbia just dealt with Norway, as they did back then, to put themselves in the guaranteed picture.
amenina

Post by amenina »

Bosnia vs Serbia IS allowed by UEFA.

The ties not allowed by UEFA for Euro 2024 are:
Armenia vs Azerbaijan
Belarus vs Ukraine
Gibraltar vs Spain
Kosovo vs Bosnia
Kosovo vs Serbia

https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/02 ... 115210.pdf
xavier_

Post by xavier_ »

Some stats looking briefly at the overall table of this competition:

- Sweden is the first nation to have 2 consecutive relegations, now they are in League C. That's the biggest surprise for me of this edition to be honest.

- On the other hand, no nation achieved a consecutive promotion this time around.

- Bosnia H. and Armenia are the yo-yo nations, either promoted or relegated in all 3 editions.

- Out of the 10 relegated nations of the previous edition only Bosnia H., Estonia and Turkey managed to get promoted on this edition.

- Poland and Germany are the only nations on League A to never have faced relegation or qualify for the final 4. Consistency I guess.

- Malta, Andorra, San Marino and Liechtenstein are also quite consistent, but on staying firmly on the League D.

- Latvia will happily leave that group, has they will play outside the League D for the first in the next edition.
Last edited by xavier_ on Wed Sep 28, 2022 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
ultra2013

Post by ultra2013 »

Ed wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 22:46 The overall UNL ranking 2022/23 after the group stage is completed tonight ...
Poland shouldn't be in Pot 1, but given that Germany is host for next EURO, Poland takes the Pot 1 spot of Germany. Poland was lucky with the draw in the World Cup play-offs. I wonder if they will avoid again France and England like they avoided Italy and Portugal?
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

ultra2013 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 00:17
Ed wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 22:46 The overall UNL ranking 2022/23 after the group stage is completed tonight ...
Poland shouldn't be in Pot 1, but given that Germany is host for next EURO, Poland takes the Pot 1 spot of Germany. Poland was lucky with the draw in the World Cup play-offs. I wonder if they will avoid again France and England like they avoided Italy and Portugal?
Poland, Finland, Armenia, North Macedonia and Malta are the teams that "won" a Pot because of Germany not competing in the Qualifiers.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Firnen wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 23:11
bugylibicska wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 23:02 This Serbia could be a formidable opponent to any team at the WC and Milinkovic- Savic was missing. They have at least 4-5 truly world class players.
They would have to beat Switzerland to advance though, something even elite teams have trouble doing.
Draw might suffice, but agree Serbia are in a tough group with Brazil, Switzerland and Cameroon.
soyderedstarbelgrade

Post by soyderedstarbelgrade »

We've always had them. What we lacked is world class player, one of the best Balkan has ever produced, great person, authority, as the National coach, which we finally got in one and only Dragan Stojković Piksi!
Volim je do ludila
Kjello

Post by Kjello »

xavier_ wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 00:13 - Poland and Germany are the only nations on League A to never have faced relegation or qualify for the final 4. Consistency I guess.
Both were last in their groups in the first Nations League. But were saved by the expansion from 12 to 16 teams in League A.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

So, who would I like for England in the next Nations League? I think we have to go to the three team group first. It's not just that no Russia probably elevated these teams, but England dealt with both in recent times, two wins over Albania in WCQ and two wins over Iceland in the previous Nations League. Finally, Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan normally don't do anything, this is the first time they did something. And since Slovakia just crumbled and Belarus got crippled their main competition was Azerbaijan, so they might not even have raised their level at all to have achieved this.
soyderedstarbelgrade

Post by soyderedstarbelgrade »

One thing I should not forget to highlight is Mitrović's 50th goal for the National team...in 76 games...
Messi needed 107, Ronaldo 114.
Volim je do ludila