UEFA Champions League 2022/23 Group Stage

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

Dinamo Zagreb becomes the first club in the history of European football to beat four teams from London in UEFA competitions. And they've done it in the time span of only 7 years.

2015: 2-1 v Arsenal (CL-GS)
2021: 3-0 v Tottenham (EL-R16)
2021: 1-0 v West Ham (EL-GS)
2022: 1-0 v Chelsea (CL-GS)

Mislav Orsic scored all 5 goals in the latter three games.

SimonB

Post by SimonB »

nogomet wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 08:24 Dinamo Zagreb becomes the first club in the history of European football to beat four teams from London in UEFA competitions. And they've done it in the time span of only 7 years.

Interesting statistic, and very well done, but to put it into more context do you know how many teams have had the opportunity over the years to play against 4 or more London teams. I imagine for example that some of the really big teams who mainly inhabit the CL might only have encountered 3 or fewer London teams over the years.
Oldelpaso

Post by Oldelpaso »

nogomet wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 08:24 Dinamo Zagreb becomes the first club in the history of European football to beat four teams from London in UEFA competitions. And they've done it in the time span of only 7 years.

There's also Juventus (Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Fulham). If you count the Fairs Cup then Barcelona have a London XI in addition to Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs.
No to Superleague
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

Oldelpaso wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 15:56

There's also Juventus (Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Fulham). If you count the Fairs Cup then Barcelona have a London XI in addition to Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs.
Thanks. Didn't fact-check the Croatian media, but I'm not surprised they got it wrong.
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

SimonB wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:30 Interesting statistic, and very well done, but to put it into more context do you know how many teams have had the opportunity over the years to play against 4 or more London teams. I imagine for example that some of the really big teams who mainly inhabit the CL might only have encountered 3 or fewer London teams over the years.
I found a few clubs that met 4 different teams from London (Fairs Cup included). The results are the same like @Oldelpaso's. Juventus beat all of their 4 opponents. If we count Fairs Cup, Barcelona beat 4 too.

Dinamo is the only team to meet 5 different teams from London BTW.

Code: Select all

Dinamo Zagreb		5	Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham, Fulham, Chelsea
Basel			4	Arsenal, Tottenham, Fulham, Chelsea
Olympiacos		4	Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham, Chelsea
Eintracht Frankfurt	4	Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham, Chelsea
Anderlecht		4	Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham, Chelsea
Barcelona		4	Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, City of London XI
Atlético		4	Arsenal, Tottenham, Fulham, Chelsea
Juventus		4	Arsenal, Tottenham, Fulham, Chelsea
Shakhtar Donetsk	4	Arsenal, Tottenham, Fulham, Chelsea
Sevilla			4	Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham, Chelsea
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Juliusz wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 17:16
SimonB wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:30 Interesting statistic, and very well done, but to put it into more context do you know how many teams have had the opportunity over the years to play against 4 or more London teams. I imagine for example that some of the really big teams who mainly inhabit the CL might only have encountered 3 or fewer London teams over the years.
I found a few clubs that met 4 different teams from London (Fairs Cup included). The results are the same like @Oldelpaso's. Juventus beat all of their 4 opponents. If we count Fairs Cup, Barcelona beat 4 too.

Dinamo is the only team to meet 5 different teams from London BTW.

Code: Select all

Dinamo Zagreb		5	Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham, Fulham, Chelsea
Basel			4	Arsenal, Tottenham, Fulham, Chelsea
Olympiacos		4	Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham, Chelsea
Eintracht Frankfurt	4	Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham, Chelsea
Anderlecht		4	Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham, Chelsea
Barcelona		4	Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, City of London XI
Atlético		4	Arsenal, Tottenham, Fulham, Chelsea
Juventus		4	Arsenal, Tottenham, Fulham, Chelsea
Shakhtar Donetsk	4	Arsenal, Tottenham, Fulham, Chelsea
Sevilla			4	Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham, Chelsea
Thanks for that.
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

Amazing work @Juliusz and @Oldelpaso .
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Polak wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 13:20
greenbay wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 18:54 Finally a group that Bayern will not win after MD 4.
I don't know I still think they could.

Unbelievable. After 2 MDs, they might be halfway there. Two wins overs Plzen while Barca and Inter exchange two draws, er voila.
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

I found this interesting (in my opinion) map for the European Cup and the Champions League. It presents the all-time best achievement by country in these competitions combined.

For Poland: Polish club reached the semi-finals of the European Cup twice:
1. Legia Warszawa in the 1969/70 season, eliminated by Feyenoord (Legia - Feyenoord 0-0, Feyenoord - Legia 2-0)
2. Widzew Łódź in the 1982/83 season, eliminated by Juventus (Juventus - Widzew 2-0, Widzew - Juventus 2-2)