CL matchday 5

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

Michele wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 23:13
Dragonite wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 16:38 Copenhagen is a case of mismanagement.

Perhaps @Diouf or @Michele can post their opinions about what's happening.

They spent 15.2M€ in imports.

The most expensive was Cornelius, 6M€, started the first match, wasn't even in the subs bench for the second, was an unused sub for the third, wasn't even in the subs bench for the fourth, and this week was a used sub and played the last 18'.

In theory he should be playing every game and scoring goals, but actually he's only the 17th most used player (108').

Second most expensive was Amoo, 4.3M€. Playing time: 0'.

Third most expensive, Mukairu, 1,9M€. Playing time: 42' (21st most used player)

Fourth most expensive, Karamoko, 1.5M€. Playing time: 46' (20th most used player)

Fifth most expensive, Sorensen, 1M€. Playing time: 39' (22nd most used players)

Sixth most expensive, goalkeeper Ryan, 0.5M€. Started the first two matches with manager Jess Thorup, then Jacob Neestrup became the manager and Grabara has been his choice ever since then.

And that's how they spent their money, in a striker that they rarely use, in another player they haven't used yet, in another three players that they barely use, and in a goalkeeper that they're not using anymore.

Maybe this would still be enough to survive Conference League groups with PAOK, Slovan Bratislava and Lincoln Red Imps, but it's not enough to survive CL groups. :dontknow:

EDIT: By the way, they also sold Boving to Sturm for only 2.2M€ and now he's a key player there. Wouldn't it have been smarter to keep Boving and not sign Amoo? They'd end up 2.1M€ richer and with a better player in their squad.

It's because of choices like this that clubs have bad results. It's never just one or two bad decisions, but the combination of several decisions.
Bad management indeed. Last winter all attackers were sold and new ones acquired. Unfortunately none of them are any good, so that’s a lot of money wasted right there. Injuries play a big part too as Cornelius has been injured almost since his return and Pep Biel who used to play striker and played every match was sold just before transfer deadline. So a direct replacement, but much less available. With all the injuries (Cornelius, Falk, Zeca, Vavro, Boilesen, Grabara, Karamoko and Amoo) and all the bad acquisitions (Amoo, Mukairu, Karamoko, Babacar) playing the youngsters isn’t so much a case of creating a showroom, but rather using the best players available. Fortunately the academy is very good these years, otherwise there would be no bright spots.
That's my worry for Celtic next season, we haven't got good results but we played well and look like we will get better, but if we sell our best players we'll be back to square one next year
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Teams finish 3rd will play with teams finish 2nd in the EL:

Ajax PSV
Atletico Madrid(Leverkusen) Fenerbahce(Rennes)
Barcelona Roma(Ludogorets)
?Frankfurt? (all 4 could finish 3rd) Union Berlin(Braga)
Salzburg MU
Shakhtar ?Sturm Graz?(or other)
Sevilla Qarabag(Nantes)
Juventus Monaco(Trabzonspor)

Very strong CL dropouts, few from the EL have a chance, maybe MU, Roma etc.
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

OlliWender wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 17:12 This is indeed something I've noticed too. With the increasing amounts of money that's brought into the transfer market, especially by the English clubs, the top teams from the likes of Denmark, Belgium or Netherlands have also started to regularly make transfers in the range of 5-10 mio € trying to buy "complete" players instead of solely developing talents. In Copenhagen's case this might have failed, While Club Brugge on the other hand was very smart and successful in replacing de Ketelaere.

Another transfer I didn't understand and that's looking like a total flop, has been Lucas Ocampos to Ajax. Zero goals or assists in the little playing time he got. I know they couldn't get Ziyech, but even back then Ocampos looked like a desperation signing that was totally unnecessary at the same time.
many drop outs at FCK which decreases certainly their performance. But still I am asking myself why FCK does not give young good players with potential a real chance to play from beginning and not just one two matches if at all. Obviously they had them (Höjlund, Böving...). FCK would not go for a big risk but these players would increase quickly their value and could have been sold for better by letting them play more matches.
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

Lubomir25 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 23:25
Dragonite wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 16:38 Copenhagen is a case of mismanagement.

Perhaps @Diouf or @Michele can post their opinions about what's happening.

They spent 15.2M€ in imports.

The most expensive was Cornelius, 6M€, started the first match, wasn't even in the subs bench for the second, was an unused sub for the third, wasn't even in the subs bench for the fourth, and this week was a used sub and played the last 18'.

In theory he should be playing every game and scoring goals, but actually he's only the 17th most used player (108').

Second most expensive was Amoo, 4.3M€. Playing time: 0'.

Third most expensive, Mukairu, 1,9M€. Playing time: 42' (21st most used player)

Fourth most expensive, Karamoko, 1.5M€. Playing time: 46' (20th most used player)

Fifth most expensive, Sorensen, 1M€. Playing time: 39' (22nd most used players)

Sixth most expensive, goalkeeper Ryan, 0.5M€. Started the first two matches with manager Jess Thorup, then Jacob Neestrup became the manager and Grabara has been his choice ever since then.

And that's how they spent their money, in a striker that they rarely use, in another player they haven't used yet, in another three players that they barely use, and in a goalkeeper that they're not using anymore.

Maybe this would still be enough to survive Conference League groups with PAOK, Slovan Bratislava and Lincoln Red Imps, but it's not enough to survive CL groups. :dontknow:

EDIT: By the way, they also sold Boving to Sturm for only 2.2M€ and now he's a key player there. Wouldn't it have been smarter to keep Boving and not sign Amoo? They'd end up 2.1M€ richer and with a better player in their squad.

It's because of choices like this that clubs have bad results. It's never just one or two bad decisions, but the combination of several decisions.
Bad management indeed. Last winter all attackers were sold and new ones acquired. Unfortunately none of them are any good, so that’s a lot of money wasted right there. Injuries play a big part too as Cornelius has been injured almost since his return and Pep Biel who used to play striker and played every match was sold just before transfer deadline. So a direct replacement, but much less available. With all the injuries (Cornelius, Falk, Zeca, Vavro, Boilesen, Grabara, Karamoko and Amoo) and all the bad acquisitions (Amoo, Mukairu, Karamoko, Babacar) playing the youngsters isn’t so much a case of creating a showroom, but rather using the best players available. Fortunately the academy is very good these years, otherwise there would be no bright spots.
That's my worry for Celtic next season, we haven't got good results but we played well and look like we will get better, but if we sell our best players we'll be back to square one next year
If this Celtic side had a Larsson or a Hartson or anyone half as good at scoring they'd have qualified with ease. Carved up so many chances, took sod all of them. Rangers were clearly overmatched with a bad draw against 3 superior sides, Celtic have been very frustrating to watch.
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

Michael S Collins wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:13
Lubomir25 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 23:25

If this Celtic side had a Larsson or a Hartson or anyone half as good at scoring they'd have qualified with ease. Carved up so many chances, took sod all of them. Rangers were clearly overmatched with a bad draw against 3 superior sides, Celtic have been very frustrating to watch.
I think even Kyogo from last season would have taken those chances, he seems to be massively off form atm. Hopefully we can find a gem and invest in the squad in Jan and come back stronger next year
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Diego Simeone said he wants to continue working in Atletico.
It's the hardest moment but I'm going to continue insisting on this club to get something we need, such as the Champions League.
According to THIS article, this early exit from the Champions League will cost the club around €15-20M.
HugoBenfica12

Post by HugoBenfica12 »

Greyn wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 20:09 Diego Simeone said he wants to continue working in Atletico.
It's the hardest moment but I'm going to continue insisting on this club to get something we need, such as the Champions League.
According to THIS article, this early exit from the Champions League will cost the club around €15-20M.
well he ended up became like arsene wenger and have an dinosaur tactics
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

HugoBenfica12 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 20:36
Greyn wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 20:09 Diego Simeone said he wants to continue working in Atletico.
I think you are too harsh for him, I don't think he is done. They are unbeaten in the La Liga since September 18 and occupy 3rd place, which is according to the preseason expectations and the team potential. Every club has a bad season from time to time in some competition and it was only 2nd elimination after the GS in the CL in the last decade for Atletico. His "problem" is that Atletico played above expectations and, thanks to good tactics, richer clubs with better players in terms of individual quality had hard time playing against Simeone's team.

I was only wondering if he should continue his work in Atletico or try his luck in some other club after 11 years spent in Madrid.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Yes, they're disappointing to a certain degree during this CL campaign, but let's not forget if they convert that penalty in the 99th minute they're still only a win away from qualifying.
HugoBenfica12

Post by HugoBenfica12 »

Greyn wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 02:55
HugoBenfica12 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 20:36

I think you are too harsh for him, I don't think he is done. They are unbeaten in the La Liga since September 18 and occupy 3rd place, which is according to the preseason expectations and the team potential. Every club has a bad season from time to time in some competition and it was only 2nd elimination after the GS in the CL in the last decade for Atletico. His "problem" is that Atletico played above expectations and, thanks to good tactics, richer clubs with better players in terms of individual quality had hard time playing against Simeone's team.

I was only wondering if he should continue his work in Atletico or try his luck in some other club after 11 years spent in Madrid.
well he always helped Real and Barcelona dominace the La Liga and now Porto is winning Atletico by 2-0