Battles for important ranking positions 2022-2023

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
Fotcalc

Post by Fotcalc »

Yes, that might be the case. We will need to wait and see.
amenina

Post by amenina »

Fotcalc wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 16:09 UEFA has removed Russia coefficient points for this season

on their website!
https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/

I have not found any more info on this.
While I don’t believe Russia will receive 0 coefficient points for 2022-23, let’s just for a moment believe it is true. The biggest implication to the 2024-25 access list is that Sweden now enter CL-Q2 while Russia would have to enter CL-Q1.

I can almost imagine some sort of deal between UEFA and Russian Football Union that “hey your clubs can return for the bigger and richer new version of CL, but your club has to start from the earliest possible round.”
Fotcalc

Post by Fotcalc »

That might the case. But I think this explains it. Have they changed the text slightely?
bert.kassies

Post by bert.kassies »

Fotcalc wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:14 That might the case. But I think this explains it. Have they changed the text slightely?
Lol, the decision of the Executive Committee in 2022 was "... for the purpose of points calculation for the 2022/23 season". Now uefa.com changed it to "... upon completion of the 2022/23 season".
UEFA European Cup Football for all UEFA coefficients and rankings
Fotcalc

Post by Fotcalc »

I wonder why they changed the timing of when they would give Russia their points.

Maybe it was to make it look less controversial. When UEFA gave Russia their points in the begining of this season, many people reacted to it. Now, less people will notice it.
bert.kassies

Post by bert.kassies »

Fotcalc wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 13:21 I wonder why they changed the timing of when they would give Russia their points.

Maybe it was to make it look less controversial. When UEFA gave Russia their points in the begining of this season, many people reacted to it. Now, less people will notice it.
The decision of the Executive Committee is not changed. It's just uefa.com (UEFA Media) that tries to dress things up. Apparently, it's sensitive matter. They also tried to give little publicity to the exclusion of Russian clubs for next season.
UEFA European Cup Football for all UEFA coefficients and rankings
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

bert.kassies wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 14:25
Fotcalc wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 13:21 I wonder why they changed the timing of when they would give Russia their points.

The decision of the Executive Committee is not changed. It's just uefa.com (UEFA Media) that tries to dress things up. Apparently, it's sensitive matter. They also tried to give little publicity to the exclusion of Russian clubs for next season.
That they've nailed to the tee. It was in essence swept under the rug
amenina

Post by amenina »

Obviously not an important ranking position, but it is now official that Germany finish 3rd ahead of Italy in the final UEFA Country Ranking 2023.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/crank2023.html