2023/2024 Conference League Group G: Frankfurt - PAOK - HJK - Aberdeen

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
Dragonite

2023/2024 Conference League Group G: Frankfurt - PAOK - HJK - Aberdeen

Post by Dragonite »

Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Frankfurt

Road to Conference League:
Conference League Playoff: Levski Sofia:bigcheck:

PAOK

Conference League QR2: Beitar Jerusalem :bigcheck:
Conference League QR3: Hajduk Split :bigcheck:
Conference League Playoff: Hearts :bigcheck:

HJK

CL QR1: Larne :bigcheck:
CL QR2: Molde :bigcross:
EL QR3: Qarabag :bigcross:
Conference League Playoff: Farul Constanta :bigcheck:

Aberdeen

EL Playoff: Häcken :bigcross:

Prediction:
1. Frankfurt
2. PAOK
3. HJK
4. Aberdeen
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
Jua Ferreira

Post by Jua Ferreira »

Prediction

Frankfurt
Paok
Aberdeen
Hjk
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Prediction

1. Eintracht Frankfurt
2. PAOK
3. Helsinki
4. Aberdeen
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

1.PAOK
2.Eintracht Frankfurt
3.Aberdeen
4.HJK Helsinki
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

1. Frankfurt
2. Aberdeen
3. PAOK
4. Helsinki
betrayor

Post by betrayor »

Lubomir25 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 23:57 1. Frankfurt
2. Aberdeen
3. PAOK
4. Helsinki
Is Αberdeen that much better than hearts?
I dont know much about scotish teams othen than Rangers and Celtic.
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

betrayor wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 00:06
2. Aberdeen
3. PAOK
4. Helsinki
They are slightly better imo and I wasn't impressed by PAOK at Tyncastle. Hearts let themselves down massively.

Aberdeen are capable of winning home and away against Helsinki and if they play to their best I believe they can beat PAOK in the home game leaving it in the balance. I've decided to be optimistic in my predictions
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

2. Aberdeen
3. PAOK
4. Helsinki
They are not.
But Lubomir also believed Hearts would beat PAOK :grin1:
I don't blame him, he just supports his country's clubs and tries to be optimistic about them.
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

Firnen wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 00:09
2. Aberdeen
3. PAOK
4. Helsinki
They are not.
But Lubomir also believed Hearts would beat PAOK :grin1:
I don't blame him, he just supports his country's clubs and tries to be optimistic about them.
I felt Hearts lost it when they didn't win the home tie. I think PAOK were better than Hearts but their inexperienced and poor manager appointment made the gap seem bigger than it was
emortal

Post by emortal »

I had the following dialogue with the Scottish fellas after the first leg of the Hearts-PAOK tie.
emortal wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 23:36
matt wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 23:19
Lubomir25 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 23:10 Hearts are still in their tie but I fear they needed a win. Hopefully they can turn it around and Scotland can celebrate 4 teams in the groups
I catched a bit of the second half: Hearts scored a great goal, offside, then PAOK scored. It's the kind of luck needed in these kind of games, for Hearts it wasn't meant to be.
Luck? Seriously?

Anyone who watched more than 10' of the game would note the difference in quality between the two teams.
There's no comparison.

Not to mention that PAOK was playing without the main LB (Baba), without the main CF (Samata - injured) and only two midfielders (Ozdoev wasn't granted a visa by the UK 🙄) !
Return leg was a 4-0 that could've been 6-0.

And PAOK will be stronger in autumn, out of the players missing in Tyncastle only Baba/Ozdoev played in Toumba.

Midfield will be massively upgraded (Meite/Marcos Antonio instead of Tsingaras/Schwab).
And frontline as well (Samatta/Despodov incoming).

PAOK played 17 y.o. Tzimas FFS, who was utilized a grand total of 20' last year by Lucescu ...
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

emortal wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 08:47 I had the following dialogue with the Scottish fellas after the first leg of the Hearts-PAOK tie.
emortal wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 23:36
matt wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 23:19

I catched a bit of the second half: Hearts scored a great goal, offside, then PAOK scored. It's the kind of luck needed in these kind of games, for Hearts it wasn't meant to be.
Luck? Seriously?

Anyone who watched more than 10' of the game would note the difference in quality between the two teams.
There's no comparison.

Not to mention that PAOK was playing without the main LB (Baba), without the main CF (Samata - injured) and only two midfielders (Ozdoev wasn't granted a visa by the UK 🙄) !
Return leg was a 4-0 that could've been 6-0.

And PAOK will be stronger in autumn, out of the players missing in Tyncastle only Baba/Ozdoev played in Toumba.

Midfield will be massively upgraded (Meite/Marcos Antonio instead of Tsingaras/Schwab).
And frontline as well (Samatta/Despodov incoming).

PAOK played 17 y.o. Tzimas FFS, who was utilized a grand total of 20' last year by Lucescu ...
I doubt if all the new replacements will lead to the desired effect. Greek and Turkish clubs just focus on individual quality (and often enough on players in their last period of career which causes the eventual problem that they do not give their last pensum anymore but are very amuzed about the paycheck granted to them).
It looks like special teamwork along with appropriate playstyle is not so important than rather to satisfy their supporters or medias. But even without new signings PAOK should go through in this groop without bigger problems.
emortal

Post by emortal »

Club-Mate wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:35 I doubt if all the new replacements will lead to the desired effect. Greek and Turkish clubs just focus on individual quality (and often enough on players in their last period of career which causes the eventual problem that they do not give their last pensum anymore but are very amuzed about the paycheck granted to them).
It looks like special teamwork along with appropriate playstyle is not so important than rather to satisfy their supporters or medias. But even without new signings PAOK should go through in this groop without bigger problems.
I agree with the general remark, but PAOK is not any Greek club.

While this is spot on for Panathinaikos (what didn't we see written when they signed Bernard/Sporar last year ...) and Olympiakos (at least last year's version with Marcelo), I wouldn't apply this to PAOK or AEK.

The latter clubs have "given the keys" to their respective coaches (Lucescu's fifth season, Almeida's second) who have imbued their playstyle on the teams.

As far as PAOK is concerned, Lucescu does not care about age.
Only about current quality and fit with the team.

PAOK lined up against Hearts with 4 players under the age of 24, 3 of which homegrown !
Koulierakis (CB,19), Konstantelias (OM/LW,20), Kotarski (GK,23) and Tsingaras (DM,23)

And subbed in Vrakas (RW,22) and Tzimas (CF, 17 !!!)

That said only a madman would go with an entire team composed of homegrown players and unproven talents for an entire season in 3 competitions (45+ games).

Finally, I disagree that we got players in "their last period of career".

Yes, they're not spring-chickens anymore, but they're all 30 and under:
Troost-Ekong (CB,29) replaces Ingason (CB,29)
Ozdoev (CM,30), Meïté (CM,29) and Marcos Antonio (CM,23) replace Kurtic (CM,34), Douglas (CM,26) and Dantas (CM,22)
Samatta (CF,30) replaces Oliveira (CF,31)
Despodov (RW/LW, 26) replaces Biseswar (OM/LW,35) and Narey (RW/LW, 29)
Baba (LB, 29)
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

emortal wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:07
Club-Mate wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:35 I doubt if all the new replacements will lead to the desired effect. Greek and Turkish clubs just focus on individual quality (and often enough on players in their last period of career which causes the eventual problem that they do not give their last pensum anymore but are very amuzed about the paycheck granted to them).
I agree with the general remark, but PAOK is not any Greek club.

While this is spot on for Panathinaikos (what didn't we see written when they signed Bernard/Sporar last year ...) and Olympiakos (at least last year's version with Marcelo), I wouldn't apply this to PAOK or AEK.

The latter clubs have "given the keys" to their respective coaches (Lucescu's fifth season, Almeida's second) who have imbued their playstyle on the teams.

As far as PAOK is concerned, Lucescu does not care about age.
Only about current quality and fit with the team.

PAOK lined up against Hearts with 4 players under the age of 24, 3 of which homegrown !
Koulierakis (CB,19), Konstantelias (OM/LW,20), Kotarski (GK,23) and Tsingaras (DM,23)

And subbed in Vrakas (RW,22) and Tzimas (CF, 17 !!!)

That said only a madman would go with an entire team composed of homegrown players and unproven talents for an entire season in 3 competitions (45+ games).

Finally, I disagree that we got players in "their last period of career".

Yes, they're not spring-chickens anymore, but they're all 30 and under:
Troost-Ekong (CB,29) replaces Ingason (CB,29)
Ozdoev (CM,30), Meïté (CM,29) and Marcos Antonio (CM,23) replace Kurtic (CM,34), Douglas (CM,26) and Dantas (CM,22)
Samatta (CF,30) replaces Oliveira (CF,31)
Despodov (RW/LW, 26) replaces Biseswar (OM/LW,35) and Narey (RW/LW, 29)
Baba (LB, 29)
yes sorry I have generalized it too much and I put all clubs in one pot. However thanks for these infos, ones never stop learning!
dons18

Post by dons18 »

Aberdeen can't even win a league game in Scotland this season so don't see them finishing 2nd. 3rd would be realistic if playing well.