2023/2024 Conference League Group D: Club Brugge - Bodo/Glimt - Besiktas - Lugano

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
bjkman1903

Post by bjkman1903 »

Dragonite wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 18:03 Is it important to finish above Lugano? I think it is. It's one thing to finish 3rd in this group being the pot 3 team, according to seeding they're the 3rd best team here, so they're not supposed to finish above the two highest ranked teams, but they're supposed to finish above the lowest ranked team. It is a totally different thing to finish bottom of this group. That stain won't disappear easily, in 10 years no matter what they do they'll still be "the team that finished bottom of a Conference League group". :sigh:
It doesn't matter if you finish 3rd or 4th, you're still out of the competition. It's pointless to try to be the best amongst the worst teams of the competition. Especially for Besiktas, this is already a huge failure - that "stain" is already upon this team (we even managed to lose all 3 home games :exclamation: ) and won't disappear for many years.
This is only Conference League, not Champions League nor Europa League - it's hard to explain this failure since even a random Turkish team would have showed a better performance.

This Besiktas team is one of the worst teams I have ever seen in my life and I am glad that the season is already over.
Black Eagles 1903
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

bjkman1903 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 16:40
Dragonite wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 18:03 Is it important to finish above Lugano? I think it is. It's one thing to finish 3rd in this group being the pot 3 team, according to seeding they're the 3rd best team here, so they're not supposed to finish above the two highest ranked teams, but they're supposed to finish above the lowest ranked team. It is a totally different thing to finish bottom of this group. That stain won't disappear easily, in 10 years no matter what they do they'll still be "the team that finished bottom of a Conference League group". :sigh:
It doesn't matter if you finish 3rd or 4th, you're still out of the competition. It's pointless to try to be the best amongst the worst teams of the competition. Especially for Besiktas, this is already a huge failure - that "stain" is already upon this team (we even managed to lose all 3 home games :exclamation: ) and won't disappear for many years.
This is only Conference League, not Champions League nor Europa League - it's hard to explain this failure since even a random Turkish team would have showed a better performance.

This Besiktas team is one of the worst teams I have ever seen in my life and I am glad that the season is already over.
They could really use the coefficient points though. Besiktas are now down to 11.500.
bjkman1903

Post by bjkman1903 »

Lorric wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 17:03 They could really use the coefficient points though. Besiktas are now down to 11.500.
1 win wouldn't make any difference. Besiktas would still be unseeded even in Conference League PO.

After this season's performance, I don't even want us to qualify for European competitions in a while in any case.
Black Eagles 1903
TommyChat

Post by TommyChat »

Lorric wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 17:03
bjkman1903 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 16:40

They could really use the coefficient points though. Besiktas are now down to 11.500.
A win will only get them to 12.000 since for this season they have the 2.5 minimum and 1 earned
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Firnen wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 19:34 Prediction

1. Club Brugge
2. Bodo/Glimt
3. Besiktas
4. Lugano
Hah, I got a perfect one here!
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Congratulations Club Brugge for winning the group! :applause:

They were the second best team in the Conference League group stage, only behind Viktoria Plzen.
Dragonite wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 14:12 Prediction:
1. Besiktas
2. Club Brugge
3. Bodo/Glimt
4. Lugano
I was right about Lugano last, and wrong about everything else.
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
Polak

Post by Polak »

Initial prediction
Club Brugge were great in the CL last season and still have a strong team this season. They already knocked Osasuna out in the qualifiers. Besiktas should be 2nd. The other two can just try to get a few coefficient points.

1. Club Brugge
2. Besiktas
3 Bodo/Glimt
4. Lugano
Actual table
1. Club Brugge
2. Bodo/Glimt
3. Besiktas
4. Lugano
1st and 4th place as expected but Bodo/Glimt managed to finish in 2nd which I find surprising.