Scottish Football 2023/24

Domestic league and cup football
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Rangers beat St. Johnstone 2-0. That's one of the games in hand dealt with, but they will not get to play the other before visiting Celtic Park.

There's an interesting article about the other teams in the SPL here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67759351

Most of the other teams are playing a 3-5-2 formation that turns into a 5-3-2 on defence. England did something like that earlier on in Southgate's tenure which was responsible for much of the negative stereotyping because it was the other way around, a 5-3-2 that turns into a 3-5-2. But it gave us real advantages both defending and attacking, those wing backs could run up and down the pitch all day. As for that scathing interview, I looked it up:
'One of the worst games I've ever seen'
Derek Adams slammed the standard of Scottish football after his Ross County side lost to Dundee in the Premiership with the last kick of the game.

Joe Shaughnessy's dramatic 96th-minute winner gave Dundee victory, but Adams took aim at the quality on show in the entire division, as well as lamenting his side's performance.

"The standard is shocking. It's one of the worst games I've ever seen," Adams told BBC Sportsound.

"I've been back and I see the standard and I think 'wow - any chance?' If I'm a spectator watching this today, I'm thinking 'is this what Scottish football is all about?' It needs to up its game."

County were unlucky to fall to defeat as Shaughnessy diverted Alex Samuel's clearance towards goal in the 96th minute after Luke McCowan's free-kick hit the post.

Adams added: "I've left a team down in League Two that's miles better than this team. Miles. That's saying something. We had the bottom budget in League Two, and they were 100 times better than this."
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

Lorric wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 01:45 Rangers beat St. Johnstone 2-0. That's one of the games in hand dealt with, but they will not get to play the other before visiting Celtic Park.

There's an interesting article about the other teams in the SPL here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67759351

Most of the other teams are playing a 3-5-2 formation that turns into a 5-3-2 on defence. England did something like that earlier on in Southgate's tenure which was responsible for much of the negative stereotyping because it was the other way around, a 5-3-2 that turns into a 3-5-2. But it gave us real advantages both defending and attacking, those wing backs could run up and down the pitch all day. As for that scathing interview, I looked it up:
'One of the worst games I've ever seen'
Derek Adams slammed the standard of Scottish football after his Ross County side lost to Dundee in the Premiership with the last kick of the game.

Joe Shaughnessy's dramatic 96th-minute winner gave Dundee victory, but Adams took aim at the quality on show in the entire division, as well as lamenting his side's performance.

"The standard is shocking. It's one of the worst games I've ever seen," Adams told BBC Sportsound.

"I've been back and I see the standard and I think 'wow - any chance?' If I'm a spectator watching this today, I'm thinking 'is this what Scottish football is all about?' It needs to up its game."

County were unlucky to fall to defeat as Shaughnessy diverted Alex Samuel's clearance towards goal in the 96th minute after Luke McCowan's free-kick hit the post.

Adams added: "I've left a team down in League Two that's miles better than this team. Miles. That's saying something. We had the bottom budget in League Two, and they were 100 times better than this."
Derek Adams is a twat and has done the team talk for every team in Scotland. He will be sacked before February.

But where Adams' words don't wash with some is the fact they came after a defeat, his second in five games since returning.
There was no ranting after a goalless draw with Kilmarnock, or the wins over St Mirren and Motherwell.

The remarks also came just days after Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen all earned impressive victories in Europe. They also came just minutes after Heart of Midlothian left Celtic Park with three points on Saturday.

Adams also claimed fans would be questioning their attendance at games given the product on view. Would diluting quality really make you love your club, or the madness of Scottish football, any less?

There's no evidence to suggest it would. Attendances increased by about 6% last season and those crowds are again watching another season of extremely competitive Premiership football, regardless of the standard on show.

Even at the very top of the table, an absolute ding-dong of a title race seems to be unfolding, with Rangers just five points behind a Celtic side who have played two games more. At this stage last term, the leaders were nine clear.

Meanwhile, five points separate third and seventh - and there are six between the bottom five, which follows a similar pattern to recent seasons.

A four-point gap separating seven teams on the final pre-split matchday of 2021-22 comes to mind.

On Saturday's Sportscene, James McFadden said Adams is "miles off it" with his remarks.

"We have a good product up here," the former Scotland forward added. "We have really good players in this league."

In defence of the Premiership's standard, McFadden's comments will be backed up by many. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Can it be better? Yes.

But that should never take away from the raw authenticity of this league. The sheer bedlam that comes along with that is something to be treasured in equal measure.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Rangers are back in the situation they were in before because the storm today blocked their match while Celtic won yesterday. Celtic vs Rangers is next...
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

I don't get why this guy doesn't get more respect. He's been banging in the goals consistently for years in Scotland. Yet neither Celtic or Rangers seem to be interested in him at all. Maybe that will change this window?
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

Lorric wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 17:45 Image

I don't get why this guy doesn't get more respect. He's been banging in the goals consistently for years in Scotland. Yet neither Celtic or Rangers seem to be interested in him at all. Maybe that will change this window?
There's strong rumours he is going to Rangers and is a Rangers fan. Celtic have been linked with Miovski. Both are miles better than Celtics back up striker Oh and all of the current Rangers strikers
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Bernardo hammers in a volley on a corner to give Celtic the lead! Got booked for celebration, long way to go...

But it's an unusually clean game between these two. Not that it's any less fierce, it's a very fast paced end to end game with both teams pressing high.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Kyogo slams into the top corner from outside the box, 2-0 Celtic!
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

Lorric wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 14:40 Kyogo slams into the top corner from outside the box, 2-0 Celtic!
I wonder if Rangers will still sign Shankland as suggested as they just signed Silva on loan from Wolves.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Lubomir25 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 14:57
Lorric wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 14:40 Kyogo slams into the top corner from outside the box, 2-0 Celtic!
I wonder if Rangers will still sign Shankland as suggested as they just signed Silva on loan from Wolves.
They don't have an option to buy as Wolves just want him getting game time, not to sell. So they'll end up back where they are now for the start of next season. If they're interested in Shankland, do they still go for him, or risk waiting till next season?
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

Lorric wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 15:00
They don't have an option to buy as Wolves just want him getting game time, not to sell. So they'll end up back where they are now for the start of next season. If they're interested in Shankland, do they still go for him, or risk waiting till next season?
The biggest problem is Hearts will want a decent fee and rumours are Rangers don't have a lot of cash either
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Lubomir25 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 15:02
Lorric wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 15:00

The biggest problem is Hearts will want a decent fee and rumours are Rangers don't have a lot of cash either
Beale spent a lot of money and no CL, so it wouldn't surprise me.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Tavernier thunders in a free kick, 2-1. 2mins left...
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

8mins injury...
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Just noticed Rangers got a red at '71, I'd had to step away away a few minutes then. Balogun off.