Post by Juliusz »

First legs attendances

Aston Villa - Lille 37,220
Olympiacos - Fenerbahçe 32,000
Club Brugge - PAOK 19,917
Viktoria Plzeň - Fiorentina 11,470
seso

Post by seso »

OK results for Greek clubs and Greece is very close to the Netherlands in UEFA Country Coefficients 2023-24. No interesting battle in UEFA Country Ranking 2024 though for the moment... Looking forward to eye's interesting graphics!
naaba

Post by naaba »

Since Igor Thiago signed at Brentford (he goes there this summer), he's been a ghost. He is suspended and won't be missed in Thessaloniki.
I don't know why Hans Vanaken didn't take the penalty. Either he was afraid to take it (possible) or he wanted to help Thiago get his mojo back. But when your level of confidence is down the abyss, you are very likely to miss a penalty. Guess what : he missed it.

No threat from PAOK, should have been 2-0 but also could have been 3-0. 1-0 is a very annoying result for Brugge.
It will of course be a different game in Toumba Stadium, but Brugge showed they can control the game. And the atmosphere is not going to traumatize themn although it's a great chance for PAOK to join their first ever semi-final, so I believe the stadium will be packed.

Brugge will qualify with 2 out of 3 outcomes (draw, victory) and I can't fathom them losing by 2 goals margin though. Worst case it goes extra time. And the miracles maker (Simon Mignolet) should be fit for return game. After this weekend Brugge could be 2 points away from Champions League qualifiers, or even 3 points away from Group Stage. Brugge hasn't played a semi-final since 1992 so I hope they will go all in.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Fiorentina v Viktoria Plzen 1.33 4.40 8.00
Lille v Aston Villa 2.20 3.50 2.80
Fenerbahce v Olympiacos 1.53 4.20 4.75
PAOK v Club Brugge 1.85 3.60 3.50
seso

Post by seso »

PAOK vs Club Brugge is sold out.
rrey1

Post by rrey1 »

The events of the last week might have significantly changed the calculus for Aston Villa.
As they are ahead of Tottenham in EPL and England seems very unlikely to get the 5th UCL spot, Aston Villa may be better off prioritizing EPL over ECL. I won't be surprised if they field reserves tonight, at least initially.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

rrey1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 16:03 The events of the last week might have significantly changed the calculus for Aston Villa.
As they are ahead of Tottenham in EPL and England seems very unlikely to get the 5th UCL spot, Aston Villa may be better off prioritizing EPL over ECL. I won't be surprised if they field reserves tonight, at least initially.
Aston Villa is coached by Unai Emery, who is known for taking every European cup seriously. Secondly, I am not sure that people in the club are aware of the circumstances you mentioned. They should be, but I am not sure that they are. At least in Poland, people working in the football clubs from 1st tier are clueless or almost clueless about coefficients, rankings, etc.

So, to sum up - I think AV will field their best possible line-up vs Lille.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

The positive of England losing the 5th CL spot is that MU surely won't pass both Aston Villa and Tottenham. Ideally, it would be fitting for them to qualify for the Intertoto Cup. :degsmile:
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Yazici scores and 1:0 Lille!
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Ball across goal banged in. Tie level. Do not fail Villa. You're our only realistic hope.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Greyn wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 16:39
rrey1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 16:03 The events of the last week might have significantly changed the calculus for Aston Villa.
Aston Villa is coached by Unai Emery, who is known for taking every European cup seriously. Secondly, I am not sure that people in the club are aware of the circumstances you mentioned. They should be, but I am not sure that they are. At least in Poland, people working in the football clubs from 1st tier are clueless or almost clueless about coefficients, rankings, etc.

So, to sum up - I think AV will field their best possible line-up vs Lille.
First team for Villa.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Big save by Martinez. Lille are better,
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

bugylibicska wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 17:55 The positive of England losing the 5th CL spot is that MU surely won't pass both Aston Villa and Tottenham. Ideally, it would be fitting for them to qualify for the Intertoto Cup. :degsmile:
Not if they win the FA Cup though. They should see off Coventry to reach the final.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Lorric wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 19:16
bugylibicska wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 17:55 The positive of England losing the 5th CL spot is that MU surely won't pass both Aston Villa and Tottenham. Ideally, it would be fitting for them to qualify for the Intertoto Cup. :degsmile:
Not if they win the FA Cup though. They should see off Coventry to reach the final.
City will beat them in the final.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Martinez is a clown, deserved yellow for him.