What is it like to visit a football stadium in your country?

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
saras21

Post by saras21 »

In Israel it is safe to go to stadiums, except for big matches between the big teams: Maccabi, Beitar, Hapoel and Haifa. I would say that the derby of Tel Aviv is the most dangerous because of the fanatic fans. Beitar fans are even more fanatic. There are a lot of problems with the police here and the fans hate them and even singing about them. Dangerous...
BigJohnD

Post by BigJohnD »

Over the last 40 years or so, I've been to some 50 stadia in England, including Anfield, Maine Road(!), Hillsborough, The Reebok, Goodison, Stamford Bridge, Wembley and even Old Trafford. Not been to the Emirates yet. I've been to Hampden, Heysel, Nou Camp, Werder Bremen and the Ataturk in Istanbul.

My favourite by far is the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. This is how stadia should be built. Access and egress is well controlled, and the city welcomes everyone.

My worse experiences have been at Old Trafford where the Manchester fans on the tier above spit on the visiting fans below, throw coins, litter and other things and are generally abusive and hostile. Complaints to the stewards are ignored as they are Mank fans too, and they take no action. The police there are agressive towards visiting fans, and I'm sure if they had tear gas they'd use it. I shan't be going there again. It's also far too expensive.

I went to Heysel after the disaster (friends were there in 85), and despite a new stadium on the old site, it's still a dump. Avoid.

I was disppointed at the Nou Camp - it may have iconic status, but there's no atmosphere from the fans. It's led by the PA which is totally patronsing - the fans can work it out for themselves.

The Ataturk is in the middle of nowhere, but has lots of room.

My favourite is still Anfield, but then I would say that wouldn't I?
The local Anfield pubs refuse admission to visiting fans before the match, which I find unfriendly. I was talking to a big group of PSV fans in Oakfield Road before the recent match, and the police wouldn't let them into the Sandon. So we went inside and got the beer for them!

As for Turkey and Galatasaray; well you've clearly never been to the Grafton on a Friday night!
You'll never walk alone…