Royal League

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
Ricardo

Royal League

Post by Ricardo »

I' missing Michele's excellent report on the Royal League, so I hope to provoke to post it anyway.

After the groupstages a pretty even group of teams came out of it. 2 Norwegian teams won their group, Valerenga and Lillestrom neither of the teams suffered a loss in the groupstage. OB Odense were the 3rd groupwinner.
With 3 Norwegian, 3 Danish and 2 Swedish teams qualifying it seemed pretty even.
But then the 1 match knock quarterfinals appeared:
Valerenga lost at home from Helsingborg, Lillestrom lost away on penalties from OB Odense (how can it be that 2 groupwinners meet??)
and the 3rd Norwegian team Brann were beaten by Brondby.
In the 4th QF Kopenhavn won in and agasint Elfsborg.

So now we have 3 Danish and a Swedish team in the semi's:
Brondby-OB Odense
Kopenhavn-Helsingborg

To be played 8 March...
Michele

Post by Michele »

Aha, I actually considered doing a thread on Royal League at some point, but came to the conclusion that the readers of this forum didn't take it anymore seriously than it appears the organizers do, so I decided not to.
But, after your request, I will do a bit on it.

The format was slightly changed this year (again). QF's and SF's would only be played over 1 match instead of the home/away legs last year. Furthermore, the schedule was pushed forward with all group matches played in the fall and a final already next Thursday after only one round in the Danish league and several weeks before Norway and Sweden kick off. However, the schedule had to be changed a bit because of FC København and OB's qualification for European group phases. This meant that two of OB's and 3 of FCK's matches were moved to February, including the two "new firms" against Brøndby. I saw this as a great advantage since matches a month before the beginning of the season are a lot more valuable than matches at the end of November.

Anyway, as you mentioned, Ricardo, Vålerenga, Lillestrøm and OB won their groups, continuing the great form shown in the group stages by Norwegian teams in previous seasons. And, as you also said, the QF's consisted of 3 Danish, 3 Norwegian and 2 Swedish teams. AIK dropped out as worst 3rd placed team along with group 4's Viborg, Hammarby and Rosenborg who only managed one point in the six group matches.

The setup for the QF's were a very complicated matter since no two teams from the same groups could face each other as well as teams from the same country were separated. Furthermore, a maximum of two QF's could be played in any one country and Brann and Helsingborg had requested away matches because of poor pitch conditions. And one last rule, the team with the most points should play at home with no regard to final position in the group.

With all these regulations, of course it turned out to be impossible to make 4 QF's, so some of the regulations were slackened in order to make it work. This meant that Elfsborg with 8 points got home advantage against FCK with 9 points. However, FCK were 3rd in their group with Elfsborg finishing 2nd in theirs, so no great injustice. Vålerenga played Helsingborg home, Brøndby got Brann at home and, strangely, the second best team from the group phase, Lillestrøm, got a very tough away match against another group winner, OB.

Last Thursday, Helsinborg surprised me beating Vålerenga 2-1 away despite falling behind early and conceding a red card near half time. The same day, Brøndby took advantage of their home advantage and the fact that they are a lot closer to kick off by beating 9-man Brann 3-0, apparently finding a bit of the form they so severely lacked in the league in the fall.

On Sunday, the two remaining QF's were played. OB had home advantage against Lillestrøm, but fell behind early on. It didn't take them long, however, to equalize and the match went to extra time. Once again, OB fell behind, but managed to equalize and bring the match to penalties. Here, OB were clearly the better team scoring on all four attempts while Lillestrøm missed two of their three. So three Norwegian teams all losing out in the quarters and it was no longer considered playing the final in Norway as it otherwise would have been, had a Norwegian team made it so far.

In the final match in Borås on artificial turf, København managed to get away with a 2-1 win despite playing horribly for most of the second half. Jesper Grønkjær got sent off a few minutes before the final whistle, but, despite heavy pressure and 11-0 in corners for Elfsborg, København scraped through.

In the semis, we now have three Danish teams plus Helsingborg, who has asked to play away. So they get a short trip over the bridge to face København whereas Brøndby get home advantage against OB, another example of the worst team from the groups getting home advantage against a better team. These matches will be played on Thursday at 4.55 and 7 respectively, a schedule that has made me wonder how many people will come to the first match in Copenhagen, when a lot of people are still at work. Furthermore, the police had requested not to have two games played in Greater Copenhagen on the same day because of the riots experienced during the past week, but this hasn't been taken into consideration, apparently.

The final will be played next Thursday in Denmark and, most likely, in Brøndby or Odense, since Helsingborg can still not play at home and the final was played in Parken, Copenhagen last season. Even if it means that Brøndby will play all three play off matches at home, I think this will be the outcome, but it won't officially be decided until Friday when the finalists are known.

I hope this makes up for my previous negligence of the cup, Ricardo, and don't worry, I will update you on the outcome of the three remaining matches as they are played.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I will do a bit on it.
I wouldn't call this a bit. Thanks a lot for this post!
MalcolmW

Post by MalcolmW »

Michele

Given that Larsson's last game for ManU is an 'exhibition' match on Tuesday 13 March, do you think Helsingborg will use him (possibly on the bench) if they reach the final?
Michele

Post by Michele »

I'd like to say that that's a hypothetical question and that Helsingborg will no doubt be out tomorrow :D But since FCK is missing Linderoth, Allbäck and Grønkjær and because, in general, anything can happen, of course, Helsingborg has a chance of reaching the final.

I don't know how Larsson's loan deal at Man U is put together, but if it ends next Tuesday or Wednesday, I don't see any reason not to use him in the final. First of all, he is probably the best attacker in a Scandinavian club, second he is in great form after having played top matches in January and February and, third, I think Stuart Baxter would like to have his first team play together as much as possible before the season starts. These three factors, combined with the fact that they don't have too many attackers in Helsingborg, make me think that Larsson will at least play some of the final should they make it so far.
MalcolmW

Post by MalcolmW »

[
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to say that that's a hypothetical question and that Helsingborg will no doubt be out tomorrow
quote]

Actually I think the loan period ends on Monday - he is due to play for Europe XI against ManU on Tuesday. Presumably he may withdraw if there is a final for him on Thursday.[/quote]
Michele

Post by Michele »

Today it's been decided definitively that the final will be played in Odensen or Brøndby ie, the winner of the all Danish semifinal. This means that Royal League puts weight on historical fairness compared to present tournament fairness.

What I mean by this is that Brøndby will play at home in the QF, SF and in the final if they make it so far whereas FCK will have only played at home in the semifinal. Helsingborg is a different case since they have requested to play away games only. The reason why FCK cannot play at home is that the final last season was played in FCK's stadium, Parken. And, apparently, it's more important to have the final played on different stadia every year than to distribute home and away games equally. But hey, this is Royal League so anything can happen...
Michele

Post by Michele »

Half time in the first semi final. It's very easy for FCK. 3-1 and a missed penalty. Helsingborg scored after a goalkeeping mistake and has had a shot on the cross bar. København has had numerous semi-big or big chances. FCK has had 11 shots, Helsingborg only 2
Michele

Post by Michele »

Not much to say about 2nd half. FCK stopped playing and made some big mistakes in defence, but Helsingborg didn't have the quality to profit from it, so it finished with a 3-1 win for FCK. They reach their third final in the third edition of Royal League :roll:
Michele

Post by Michele »

Extra time in the second semi final. A huge blunder by Brøndby's keeper gave OB the lead, but Brøndby managed to equalize 10 minutes before full time

edit: Brøndby scored in extra time to record a 2-1 win and set up yet another match with København. This will be the fifth match between the two clubs this season and there's yet another one waiting in April. And this is the only one of the past three seasons when the two clubs didn't meet in the cup :roll:

The Final will be played next Thursday in Brøndby.
Severin

Post by Severin »

How many penalty goals did Martin Ericsson really scored this season? It feels like everytime Brøndby plays, Ericsson score.
Michele

Post by Michele »

Oh yeah, I sure lost interest again quickly, but here is the final update on the tournament.

The final was played yesterday between the two danish "giants", Brøndby and FC København. Brøndby played at home and won the game 1-0. it wasn't a very good game and very few chances were created throughout the match. The winner came from a penalty scored by Martin Ericsson on a penalty 5 mins before half time (as Severin said). In the penalty situation, there was a clear shirt-pull by Jesper Grønkjær, but you don't see many penalties like that given in big international finals.

From the line ups it was clear that Brøndby put more effort into this game than their opponents as they fielded their strongest available team whereas the Copenhageners fielded three reserves in addition to the forced absence of Tobias Linderoth and Marcus Allbäck.

During the 2nd half, FCK put on some of the regular starters and applied a decent pressure on the Brøndby defence, but never managed to create any open chances. The closest was a shot off the bar by Michael Silberbauer just after half time.

A bit of statistics from the tournament:
top scorers: Martin Ericsson, Brøndby and Jan Derek Sørensen, Vålerenga, 6 goals As far as I could work out, Ericsson scored on 3 penalties, 1 direct free kick and 1 fast break. The last goal I'm not sure about.

most goals (team): Brøndby and OB, 16

Most yellow cards: Brøndby, 22

Biggest crowds: Brøndby - FCK X2 + FCK - Brøndby, between 18496 - 17071, the final was only the second most visited match! Apart from these three matches, only one other match had more than 10000 spectators.