2023/24 Conference League quarter-finals, semi-finals and final

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Fiorentina go to Athens deservedly, Brugge can only blame themselves. A pity for the clownery in the last 10 minutes. :down:
zender

Post by zender »

Over 2 games Fiorentina deservedly go through to the final.
They had this bit more compared to Bruges in almost all aspect of the game. Whenever they decided to initiate their turbo, Bruges struggled hard.
Either way, it has been a good European season for Bruges and may Fiorentina win the final this time!
Gorandinho

Post by Gorandinho »

Brugge looked tired. It was their 59th game of the season. I don think there is a team in Europe that has played more games than Brugge.
OlliWender

Post by OlliWender »

I guess this means the possibility of finally having a non-Big 5 title winner is probably over yet again. Even if Olympiacos should be able to hold the adavantage against Villa, I think their chances against Fiorentina will be small, especially because of their fragile defense.

Very real chance for Italy to have 9! teams in Europe next season...
fabiomh

Post by fabiomh »

OlliWender wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 21:02 ...

Very real chance for Italy to have 9! teams in Europe next season...
Only if Fiorentina win Conference League AND finish 9th behind Napoli.
If I am not wrong, if they finish 8th, there will be "only" 8 teams in any case.
Hope for more partecipants in the next Prediction Game
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

Whats the record for most participants from one country? 8? A bit of off-topic.
naaba

Post by naaba »

Bulgarian wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 21:12 Whats the record for most participants from one country? 8? A bit of off-topic.
I believe France had up to 10 clubs during Intertoto days.
berntie

Post by berntie »

I didn't realize that the 2nd leg of this semi-final was today. Does anybody know why this wasn't played tomorrow (on a thursday) as always?
naaba

Post by naaba »

berntie wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 22:04 I didn't realize that the 2nd leg of this semi-final was today. Does anybody know why this wasn't played tomorrow (on a thursday) as always?
Major​ religious event in Brugge tomorrow (expecting over 10k people I believe). Security not available for both events.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

berntie wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 22:04 I didn't realize that the 2nd leg of this semi-final was today. Does anybody know why this wasn't played tomorrow (on a thursday) as always?
Google Holy Blood Brugges.
berntie

Post by berntie »

naaba wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 23:15
Major​ religious event in Brugge tomorrow (expecting over 10k people I believe). Security not available for both events.
Ah, you probably mean that procession. Thanks :thumbs:
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Brugge was by far the worse team in this tie, they were lucky to hold on for that long. I had expected a more balanced tie.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Olympiakos - Aston Villa for me. Last chance saloon for the English to salvage something from the season, but huge opportunity for the Greeks. Man City, Liverpool both failed as top favourites, will Villa follow them? I see a decline in the English clubs, after a longer period of dominance the future don't look so bright. Something wrong with their management, their best players are playing abroad: Kane, Bellingham, Sancho...
rrey1

Post by rrey1 »

EPL teams tend to hire foreign managers who prefer foreign players (on the other hand, they see what were Lampard results when he prioritized English players to everybody else ...). So, if you are a promising English player and can't get to Man City or Liverpool then the best option is to go abroad.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

rrey1 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 20:05 EPL teams tend to hire foreign managers who prefer foreign players (on the other hand, they see what were Lampard results when he prioritized English players to everybody else ...). So, if you are a promising English player and can't get to Man City or Liverpool then the best option is to go abroad.
Arsenal in the mix too: Saka, White, Rice.