2023/24 Conference League quarter-finals, semi-finals and final

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
diyx

Post by diyx »

OlliWender wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 21:02 I guess this means the possibility of finally having a non-Big 5 title winner is probably over yet again.
Btw. I don't know why everyone talks about Big 5. I don't remember French clubs winning any title this century.

I feel like UEFA is pushing hard for the narrative of Big 5, when in reality there is a clear Big 4, then after a considerable distance France, then after another distance the rest.
diyx

Post by diyx »

rpo.castro wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:44
bugylibicska wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 04:19
Lorric wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 23:24

Liverpool are a strange one. They were well up for it and kicking everybody's ass, then they have one terrible game and threw it all away. But that's how it goes sometimes.

Newcastle almost got out of the CL group of death, which proved even stronger than we thought it was at the time. Pretty happy with them.

Arsenal, can't really complain about a CL quarter final and group win on their return to the competition after a long absence.

Brighton I'm happy with, especially when you see their position in the table, on debut in Europe they won the group of death and were very unlucky for the reward for that to be Roma. The team they beat into 2nd made the semis.

United, utter dross. Looks likely they won't be in Europe next season, and we may well be better off for it.

I'd say it's an underwhelming season rather than an outright bad one. Only United I feel disgraced England. 17.375 is still better than plenty of seasons put up by the other big four leagues. Was compounded by being very unlucky across multiple draws.
I salute your patriotism and remaining optimistic, but I see dark clouds over English football. If City gets banned, England won't have a competitive team left in Europe next season. Arsenal might be heralded as the new champions, but they should prove themselves against the elite outside of England. Liverpool after Klopp will be a different story, maybe back to the not so good, old days of "massive dickhead" or will run by another bald head wacko. Aston Villa, you've seen them today, a week before and at Lille. Not good enough! Tottenham, Chelsea or MU are total disasters, only hope rests with Newcastle. Money motivates everyone, but up to a point only. Beyond that point is meaningless. Here's a good read, I think the guy hit the nail on its head:

The Premier League lie has been exposed again in European disaster

"It’s the best illustration of how we are sold an English exceptionalist lie deployed to keep us spending. Players which cost a fortune are regularly beaten by players who don’t. And some commentators are still surprised. And in the studio the pundits all agree, nodding with the sage intellect blessed upon them that yes, that’s why for me, it’s the best league in the world. Ooops we’ve lost. Yeah, for me, it’s the best league in the world. Repeat after me."

https://www.football365.com/news/premie ... -liverpool
I liked this comment by "Dave":

"Coventry beat Wolves in the FA Cup

this, does this mean the Championship is better than the premier league? No, it’s knockout football. Whilst the Premier League is very strong, it’s not so strong that the teams in it can just sweep away any others. Also, it’s not like teams such as Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or PSG are paupers is it?"

Does winning EL or ECL means so much to most english clubs and people? No.
In CL Premier League has City, had for some time Liverpool, Chelsea in the past, United during Ferguson. Countries having more than 2 real strong clubs year after year are not common. Spain had it but now only Real hold that status, Italy used to be in beginning of the century, now not even a single club, Germany even if Dortmund is crowned champions only Bayern for now holds status of favourite to win CL, so not having a dominance is not signal of failure its just signal of normal status, coming down from exceptional high.

Having a team like Olympiakos beat Aston Villa and reaching the final is amazing, its what we want: proving smaller teams with smaller budgets can compete with bigger ones. If this wasn't possible, we wouldn't need to play, just rank the teams by budget.

But not get fooled like some greek fella there, one thing is knock-out football where a team like Olympiacos or Braga can get to an European final (or teams like Porto or Steaua can be European Champions) other is being champion of a round robin competition, being better than all the other teams week after week during a whole season, not just duelling. Olympiacos won't be the greek champions will they? And Man. United eliminated Liverpool (and I think they didn't lost a match between them this season). Are they better than Liverpool? Just look at PL table.
This is quite a nuanced view, I mostly agree.

However, I feel that City's dominance starts to hurt English football. The exciting thing about the Premier League was that you couldn't predict the champion before the season. This also meant that at least the top 4 clubs (later top 6) could attract big stars with the ambition to win the title.

This starts to change. The reason Harry Kane left Tottenham was because he wanted to win a title. If he wanted to stay in England, his only good chance would have been Man City. But since they already have Haaland, there is no room for another striker. So his options were basically going to another Premier League side and risking to never win a title, or leaving the league.

I believe this motivation is similar for other players.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Greyn wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:17 Fully understandable.
I can only imagine how AEK stadium will look like after an invasion by Olympiacos fans.
Keep in mind that in Greece away fans are not allowed in derbies, so rival fans never go to the enemy's ground.

But the more AEK media make a scene, the more gleeful Olympiacos fans (and ultras become). I don't know how many vandalisms will happen, but photos, videos etc. of the Olympiacos owner, a notoriously rude vice-president, the hated club lawyer, famous ultras, the president of the amateur departments of the club (also an ultra) etc. making themselves at home and potentially celebrating there makes AEK fans sick :grin1: :grin1: :grin1:
rrey1

Post by rrey1 »

There is no "City dominance" in EPL.
They have to fight tooth-and-nail for their titles (check 2019 and 2022 vs Liverpool or last year vs Arsenal).
The "Big 6" more or less transformed into "Big 3", but it's not a "Big 1" at all.
EPL has a competency problem and player contracts are not structured very well (5-year contracts on huge wages are very difficult to discharge if a player stops performing).
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

Firnen wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 16:08
I can only imagine how AEK stadium will look like after an invasion by Olympiacos fans.
Keep in mind that in Greece away fans are not allowed in derbies, so rival fans never go to the enemy's ground.

But the more AEK media make a scene, the more gleeful Olympiacos fans (and ultras become). I don't know how many vandalisms will happen, but photos, videos etc. of the Olympiacos owner, a notoriously rude vice-president, the hated club lawyer, famous ultras, the president of the amateur departments of the club (also an ultra) etc. making themselves at home and potentially celebrating there makes AEK fans sick :grin1: :grin1: :grin1:
I remember when Marseille played their EL final in Lyon vs Atletico and I was horrified by the perspective to see them lifting the trophy and celebrating in our own stadium.
Fortunately it didn’t happen.
Don't forget to post your predictions for the new season
viewtopic.php?p=563580#p563580
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

Coming back to the English « crash » this season in Europe (as per English standards), we first have to remember I think that ManCity was eliminated on penalties and without losing a game vs Real Madrid. Had the pso been different Man City would have been the top favourite to defend their title.

It’s however true that teams like Liverpool or Aston Villa, not to speak about Man United, have been disappointing this season in Europe.
Is it the start of the decline? I don’t think so. It’s just an accident to me. The Premier League is so dominant financially speaking that they will keep on attracting all or almost all foreign stars and promising players (and consequently weaken the other leagues).

As far as the English players playing abroad are concerned, this is the best thing that can happen to English football I think. They will bring additional things as much as the foreign coaches brought something else to the Premier League.

At last the brillant results the English teams get in youth competitions let me think that new generations are coming and it will be good for the Premier League, assuming that these players are able to get an opportunity to join the first team which is not easy when your squad is full of international players (that’s the reason why the young players may have an interest to go abroad to optimize their chances to play at the best level)

So at that stage this season it’s just an accident to me. Should it happen again a couple of seasons in a row I would change my mind but it’s too far too premature in my humble opinion.
emortal

Post by emortal »

There's another angle to this.

Greek police have forbidden away fans in the league like forever and they forced the cup final to be played without (or very few) fans since 2016!

And don't get me started on their insistence for the cup final to be played in the Olympic stadium in Athens because "it's the only safe one" to police.
Meanwhile it came to light in September that its roof, built in 2004, had stability problems and was unsafe 🙄

Now they have to explain how, after all, it is safe to host Greek "away" fans for a UEFA cup final.
While a couple days later the cup final will be played without fans at all!
emortal

Post by emortal »

Lyonnais wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:14 Coming back to the English « crash » this season in Europe (as per English standards), we first have to remember I think that ManCity was eliminated on penalties and without losing a game vs Real Madrid. Had the pso been different Man City would have been the top favourite to defend their title.

It’s however true that teams like Liverpool or Aston Villa, not to speak about Man United, have been disappointing this season in Europe.
Is it the start of the decline? I don’t think so. It’s just an accident to me. The Premier League is so dominant financially speaking that they will keep on attracting all or almost all foreign stars and promising players (and consequently weaken the other leagues).
Villa elimination was also a fluke, based on the HLs and the stats of the first semi.

Not to mention that teams like Olympiakos this season are the exception.
Unless they win the ECL and/or the league, and perhaps even if they do, the team will be gutted.
They've got just 4/11 starters under contract for next year.

It's a similar situation for Dortmund (several players in their twilight years) and even teams like Atalanta/Fiorentina.

IMO the "crash" for the EPL will be financial first, the current bubble can't go on forever.
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

emortal wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:45 IMO the "crash" for the EPL will be financial first, the current bubble can't go on forever.
Possibly but the crash of the bubble will affect first intermediary leagues such as the Ligue 1
Phocea

Post by Phocea »

Lyonnais wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 09:55

I remember when Marseille played their EL final in Lyon vs Atletico and I was horrified by the perspective to see them lifting the trophy and celebrating in our own stadium.
Haha I understand the feeling, I nearly had an heart attack reading an article about Velodrome being as a potential location for the 2024 Coupe de France Final.
diyx

Post by diyx »

Phocea wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 13:36
Lyonnais wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 09:55

Haha I understand the feeling, I nearly had an heart attack reading an article about Velodrome being as a potential location for the 2024 Coupe de France Final.
Let's take a moment to think about how sad it is that people become violent because of 22 guys who no one of them even knows personally are kicking a ball around on a grass pitch.

I'm happy that here in Germany fans are more sane, even though there are exceptions here and there.
amenina

Post by amenina »

Referee teams for 2024 UEFA club competition finals announced

https://www.uefa.com/news-media/news/02 ... announced/

2024 UEFA Europa Conference League Final refereeing team

Referee: Artur Soares Dias (Portugal)
Assistants: Paulo Soares and Pedro Ribeiro (both Portugal)
4th Official: Glenn Nyberg (Sweden)
Reserve AR: Mahbod Beigi (Sweden)
VAR: Tiago Martins (Portugal)
Assistant VAR: Christian Dingert (Germany)
VAR Support: Marco Fritz (Germany)
seso

Post by seso »

A nice picture for the final by Fiorentina fans!