Neverending Football Quiz

For all predictions and games.
Bruno

Neverending Football Quiz

Post by Bruno »

I noticed that the Games section of this forum is almost entirely devoted to prediction games. What I miss here, is a football quiz (where only knowledge is important, no luck factor involved). Therefore I am happy to present a new initiative : The Neverending Football Quiz.

Concept

Test the football knowledge of your fellow forum members !

This game is cyclic, the same pattern will be repeated continuously.

1. Question - A forum member (say A) posts a question.
2. Answer - Other forum members (anyone) can post their answer in this thread. Whoever gives the right answer first, wins.
3. Confirmation - Member A posts a confirmation if someone (say B) has posted the right answer. He can also give additional hints if a question has been unanswered/incorrectly answered for a long time.
4. New question - After confirmation, Member B can post a new question, as a reward for his own correct answer.

The same pattern Question-Answer-Confirmation-Question-Answer-Confirmation-Question-… will keep repeating itself, thus creating a neverending quiz.

Additional rules

1. I would ask everyone not to look up answers on the Internet/in books/whatever other source. This game is about football knowledge, not about using Google. I hope everyone is wise enough to follow this rule. Of course no one can check this, just be fair. :wink:
2. If a question remains unanswered or unconfirmed for 24 hours, the thread is considered to be open : anyone who wants can post the next question.

Questions

We will restrict the questions to football and anything related to football. Players, coaches, clubs, matches, stadiums,cups, both in the past and at present. In this way anyone on this forum can join the game, as you can expect that visitors of this forum have a sound knowledge of football history.

Scores

No scores will be kept in this game. Your only reward for a correct answer is that you have the right to ask a new question to test your fellow forum members.
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

I will kick off with the first question then ! :D

In football history, only 4 players managed to score in two different World Cup finals. Name one of these players.
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Pelé- 1958 and 1970…

Zidane- 1998 and 2006...

Vavá- 1958 and 1962?

And I’m not sure about the 4th… not even about Vavá to be honest… I think the 4th is Breitner- 1974 and 1982?
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Dragonite wrote:Pelé- 1958 and 1970…

Zidane- 1998 and 2006...

Vavá- 1958 and 1962?

And I’m not sure about the 4th… not even about Vavá to be honest… I think the 4th is Breitner- 1974 and 1982?
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Perfect, you gave all four players (with the correct dates !)

Dragonite, it's your turn to ask a question :wink:
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Question 2: Name a player that played for 5 former Champions Cup/League winners without ever winning the CC/CL himself.
dzomba

Post by dzomba »

Ronaldo - (Brazilian) - PSV, Barcelona, Real, Inter, Milan

I am not sure if he was in the team or not when Real won CL ...
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

:applause: :applause: :applause:

That’s correct!

Dzomba, it’s your turn to ask a question

Note: Ronaldo joined Real Madrid in 2002/2003, after the win of “the ninth”. He still played the 2002 Intercontinental and probably European Super Cup too, but not the 2001/2002 CL. He also joined AC Milan 1 season after “the seventh”, and hasn’t played a single minute for them in the 2007/2008 CL. He also played for Inter, PSV and Barcelona; although for these last 2 he never played any CL edition (he did won the Cup Winners Cup for Barcelona in 1996/1997).
dzomba

Post by dzomba »

Question: When did Brasil and Germany play their first World cup encounter ?
bbi

Post by bbi »

Hanover 26 - 06 - 1974(edit: in 64 there wasn't even a world cup): Brasil defeated 1 - 0 East Germany in the second round group stage
Yokohama 30 - 06 - 2002: Brasil won the World Cup Final 2 - 0 against Germany

so only 2 encounters between the teams that have a total of 8 trophies.
Last edited by bbi on Tue Oct 28, 2008 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
FORZA STEAUA! FORZA MILAN!
badgerboy

Post by badgerboy »

bruno wrote:Additional rules

1. I would ask everyone not to look up answers on the Internet/in books/whatever other source. This game is about football knowledge, not about using Google. I hope everyone is wise enough to follow this rule. Of course no one can check this, just be fair.
Hmmm. I'm wondering if everyone read this rule.

Knowing that East Germany played Brazil prior to the meeting between Germany & Brazil in the 2002 Final is quite impressive (I certainly didn't remember it) but knowing the exact date & location of the match (all be it 10 years out but I assume that's just a typo)...
Stef

Post by Stef »

It's much more interesting not to ask people not to use Google but to create google-protected questions; the one's which can't be found easy in Google.
And not because the facts are rare but because the answer requires several associations which lead to searches and therefore can't be found that easy.
Ukrainian football
bbi

Post by bbi »

badgerboy wrote:
bruno wrote:Additional rules

1. I would ask everyone not to look up answers on the Internet/in books/whatever other source. This game is about football knowledge, not about using Google. I hope everyone is wise enough to follow this rule. Of course no one can check this, just be fair.
Hmmm. I'm wondering if everyone read this rule.

Knowing that East Germany played Brazil prior to the meeting between Germany & Brazil in the 2002 Final is quite impressive (I certainly didn't remember it) but knowing the exact date & location of the match (all be it 10 years out but I assume that's just a typo)...
of course I didn't see(at least remember) the rule. I remembered that the final between Germany and Brazil was a special game, but I wanted to make sure. So I checked wikipedia and found the East Germany game too which I am not sure if it's considered as an official encounter between Brazil and Germany is it? Dzomba just post another question and sorry again for not paying to much attention.
FORZA STEAUA! FORZA MILAN!
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

The correct answer to dzomba’s question was the 2002 World Cup final. Now dzomba or bbi should post another question.

And DON’T FORGET that you aren’t supposed to use google, books or any other “help”, other than your MEMORY.
badgerboy

Post by badgerboy »

bbi

I'd give you the point (well credit for the right answer - I don't think there are points) just for being first with the 2002 answer. But that's obviously up to dzomba as he set the question...

Edit: But it does make the game a bit slow - having to wait for the person who set a question to come back & confirm it.
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Stef wrote:It's much more interesting not to ask people not to use Google but to create google-protected questions; the one's which can't be found easy in Google.
And not because the facts are rare but because the answer requires several associations which lead to searches and therefore can't be found that easy.
I see your point, Stef, but asking only google-protected questions is difficult. I think we just have to trust each other that we're not looking up answers. Because, what do you win by cheating (looking up answers) ? It's just a game, just testing each other's football knowledge !

badgerboy wrote:But it does make the game a bit slow - having to wait for the person who set a question to come back & confirm it.
As many users only visit this forum once or twice a day, the game can indeed become a bit slow. We could also say that any "third party" (any user reading this thread) can look up the right answer and than confirm (in case of a right answer) or give an extra hint (in case of a false answer). This would make the game faster.