keano tribute

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
Lubomir25

keano tribute

Post by Lubomir25 »

this thread has been created for thos e wishing to pay tribute to one of the worlds greatest ever footballers who retired today.
seso

Post by seso »

I would also like to say that John Cleese (from the Monty Pythons) has also retired.
panda

Post by panda »

Good stuff on Roy Keane in today's Times - almost certainly available on-line also.

It's a great shame he could not have had anopther season with Celtic.
apw

Post by apw »

Great Player for United ( if you were a United Fan) however ironic he should announce his retirement during the World Cup, Considering he walked out on his country at the last World cup.

There are also quite a lot of negative points to his career, like Stamping on an opponent in an FA Cup Final, The Alf - Inge Haaland Challange, 13 Career Red Cards and the above desertion of his country.

By all means label him a great player, but in like Billy Bremner, Dennis Wise for example he will probably only be a great in the eyes of supporters whose clubs he served :rupor: :umnik:
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

pfft chelsea fans get on my nerves sometimes
apw

Post by apw »

Lubomir :

No offence meant to Celtic ( who i have an affection for ).
Just curious why ( although i think i probably know the answer) Celtic fans hold such an affection for Keane.
He was a United Legend and a big name for Ireland until 2002.
I know from my relatives in Dublin and Doneagl that many forgave Keane for 2002, but there are many that didn't.

It is always Sad to see top players retire through injury and i hope He has a succesful career in whatever he decides to do next !
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

united are my second team and despite keanes flaws he was one of the best players to grace european football. hence the thread
apw

Post by apw »

Point taken !
I wish him well in his chosen path !
sgtcecil

Post by sgtcecil »

great player to grace scotland but too late in his career and didn't add much to the game up here. instead of clubs in scotland squandering money on veterans winding down their career, we should continue to give youth a chance (not saying celtic dont- maloney, mcmanus et al)
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

i understand what your saying but at the same time if you want to work with youth instant success doesnt always come, and this in turn may end up causing scotland to fall in europes rankings making it harder to keep the players if they become world class.