Euro 2020

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Overgame wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 13:56
shnura wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 18:39 The problem with the Italians according to Economist - their squad is too Italian :sigh:
https://headtopics.com/us/italy-s-gover ... s-20917986
To the extent that any sporting event can have an impact on politics, this one unquestionably favoured the right—and not just the League, but the even harder-right Brothers of Italy party, which is in opposition. The most striking aspect of Italy’s 26-man squad before it took to the pitch was that, alone among the main contenders,it did not include a single player considered as being of colour
Did yo read past this tweet? No? So don't talk about it.
Geez, this is getting annoying.
I read it. There's a salient point about Italian citizenship in there, and it did surprise me that it works that way, but it seems like such a minor thing compared to how much they're trying to blow it up as in this article. I don't think missing out on a handful of U national caps before you turn 18 is going to have much effect on your career. If indeed you want to play for Italy.

You'd never see anyone talking about non-white countries lacking ethnic diversity. Most of them are homogenous.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

mspm89 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 22:48
Lorric wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 21:22 Yes, I was saying I'd take 5 League Cups over 4 FA Cups.
Of course, who wouldn't? But that doesn't apply to the question of CL vs EL, or Euro vs NL: the difference in importance is way smaller in the first case.
I take it you mean my post as the first case?
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Dragonite wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 20:51
greenbay wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 20:22
Dragonite wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 15:39Two semifinals: 2018 World Cup + current Nations League. :wink:
Nations League = Micky Mouse Cup. Like the League Cup in England or France. A trophy but of no value. Every major country will easily trade in five NL wins for one Euro win.
To trade five NL wins for something else, first you need to get 5 NL wins.

Portugal, Belgium, France, Netherlands, England and Spain have 5 NL wins.

They can say what they'd trade them for: a Buggs Bunny carrot perhaps?

Others that don't have five NL wins can't trade them for anything until they reach five wins first.
Not 5 games. 5 trophies. Any major team easily trade in 5 NL trophies for 1 Euro trophy. Like the English teams would trade in 5 League Cups for 1 FA Cup or 1 PL title.
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
Overgame

Post by Overgame »

Lorric wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 16:04
shnura wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 18:39 The problem with the Italians according to Economist - their squad is too Italian :sigh:
https://headtopics.com/us/italy-s-gover ... s-20917986
I read it. There's a salient point about Italian citizenship in there, and it did surprise me that it works that way, but it seems like such a minor thing compared to how much they're trying to blow it up as in this article. I don't think missing out on a handful of U national caps before you turn 18 is going to have much effect on your career. If indeed you want to play for Italy.

You'd never see anyone talking about non-white countries lacking ethnic diversity. Most of them are homogenous.
The article is about which party will take advantage of that win ...
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Overgame wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 03:18 I'd take a NL win over a WC final.
You're from Belgium. 1980 Euro final and maybe a couple of semis every now and then. You'd trade in anything for finally having "Belgium" engraved on some trophy, even if it's the Mickey Mouse Cup. But no one in Italy will take 5 NL wins in exchange for the 2021 Euro silverware.
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

greenbay wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 17:27
Overgame wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 03:18 I'd take a NL win over a WC final.
You're from Belgium. 1980 Euro final and maybe a couple of semis every now and then. You'd trade in anything for finally having "Belgium" engraved on some trophy, even if it's the Mickey Mouse Cup. But no one in Italy will take 5 NL wins in exchange for the 2021 Euro silverware.
In case you don't realise, Italy didn't just make to the final. They won. And nobody would trade a Grade A tournament win.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Overgame wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 17:27
Lorric wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 16:04

The article is about which party will take advantage of that win ...
And so what if they do? What, should Italy lose? Should we put some token ethnics in the team and rob people who deserve it of playing for their country?

Article's garbage. Hand wringing, race baiting garbage. Everything in it but the citizenship aspect basically just makes me think "So what? Who cares?"
Arges Pitesti

Post by Arges Pitesti »

Overgame wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 01:11
Arges Pitesti wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 21:15 This english motto has turned into a sweet sentence for italian people. I'm so glad that we had won: a third lost euro-final in 20 years would have been too heartbreaking to bear. As a kid back in the 90s, I grow up with the idea that italian NT was the one that used to loses at PSO, despite of plenty of talent: now it's fun (and sweet...) to think that in last 15 years we won both WC and EC at PSO! (First team ever to win 2 games, SF and finals, at PSO in the same tournament, I guess...).

(...)

So yeah, when in 2006 the final started with a PK gift to France, I was already prepared. Even after the 1-1. Toni hits the bar, and then Zidane saw red. Everything was set for another PSO loss. That day, I was watching the game with friends and I left the house during the PSO.

(...)

Born in 1982. :wink:

I remember all the moments you mentioned in this beautiful post.

Maybe in Coverciano, at some point, they started to teach players how to shoot penalties! :dontknow:

I would add a thing: in 2006 WC final, Toni has scored a goal in regulation, but it has been disallowed for a non-existent offside (hard times for refs, before the VAR era...)
"Better lose one match 5-0 than five 1-0" W. Boskov
Polak

Post by Polak »

Lorric wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 16:04 You'd never see anyone talking about non-white countries lacking ethnic diversity. Most of them are homogenous.
Or indeed racism by non whites.

https://news.sky.com/story/tokyo-2020-g ... e-12357784

This for instance, won't be talked about for long, because it wasn't done by white Europeans.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Polak wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 20:49
Lorric wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 16:04 You'd never see anyone talking about non-white countries lacking ethnic diversity. Most of them are homogenous.
Or indeed racism by non whites.

https://news.sky.com/story/tokyo-2020-g ... e-12357784

This for instance, won't be talked about for long, because it wasn't done by white Europeans.
This is funny because one famous slur by Mexican online fans to refer to the Honduran players is "hondunegros", because of its (perceived or not) overpopulation of black players, mostly from Afro-caribbean heritage.

This doesn't ashame me, it just amuses me.
matt

Post by matt »

One week ago right now all Italy was celebrating. For me it looks like already a month ago, not seven days ago.
International break hater
MartinW

Post by MartinW »

One small point to note is that England kept its undefeated home record when hosting major tournaments.
Combined home results from 1966, 1996 and 2021 (all matches at Wembley) are P17, W11, D6, L0, goals for 26, goals against 8.
3 of the draws were in group matches, the other 3 were in KO games which went to penalties.
5 games went into extra time resulting in 2 wins aet, 1 PSO win (Spain) and 2 PSO losses (Germany, Italy).
MartinW

Post by MartinW »

greenbay wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 06:19
Lorric wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 20:22But this system took us to only our second final ever ...
On second thought: There won't be another Wembley final that soon. So don't get your hopes up to high... :grin1:
It's quite possible that the next Wembley final will be in 9 years time when up to 15 of the current England squad could potentially still be involved. 12 outfield players born after Dec 1995 would still be 34 or younger, plus the 3 GKs would be 37 or younger.

The next 3 world cups in 2030, 2034, 2038 are very likely to be in UK/Ireland, Uruguay/Argentina and China but it's uncertain what the eventual hosting order will be. It's never been more than 12 years with the WC outside Europe, so that favours 2030 being a Uefa nation host. If given to a different confederation, then you'd expect 2034 would certainly be hosted within Uefa.
fabiomh

Post by fabiomh »

matt wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 00:16 One week ago right now all Italy was celebrating. For me it looks like already a month ago, not seven days ago.
me too!
... strange time perception

I would like to add... I saw too much crowd without masks while celebrating.
Hope everything will go OK.
Hope for more partecipants in the next Prediction Game
Polak

Post by Polak »

I think people had to have evidence of vaccination or a negative Covid test before entering the stadium.