Club derbies and rivalries

Domestic league and cup football
Esbanjador

Post by Esbanjador »

pinneaple_stu

I once watched live UCD-Shelbourne in Dublin. The field was like portuguese III Division clubs! :lol:
pineapple stu

Post by pineapple stu »

When was that? I was probably there as well! Do you mean the ground or the actual pitch? Our (UCD's) ground is rubbish (but then we're about as big as a Portuguese Third Division side anyway!), but the pitch is usually in good condition...
Lunaris

Post by Lunaris »

pineapple, just cause of curiosity, (got nothing to do with the original question)

are you still using yards and miles in ireland? i thought there was a reform there in the last decade. am i mistaken?
pineapple stu

Post by pineapple stu »

Some do, some don't. Officially, we don't. Speed limits and car odometers changed earlier this year. However, most people will still talk in miles, feet, etc. It's moving away from that, sadly...
Juventus

Post by Juventus »

In Italy the most famous derbies are:

Juventus Turin vs Turin, who is called "Derby della Mole" (Derby of the Turin's Mole). There is an ancient rivality between the two Turin's team.

Milan vs Inter Milan, who is called "Derby della Madonnina" (Derby of the Duomo's Virgin Mary). There teams are the most important in Italy, with Juventus Turin.

Juventus Turin vs Inter Milan, who is called "Derby d'Italia" (Derby of Italy). It is a most important match in Italy because Juventus and Inter, in the past were a most important team in Italy and because are only teams who are play in the Italian First Division always (Serie A).

Milan, for two years, played in the Italian Second Division (Serie B):
1980-1981
1982-1983

AS Roma vs Lazio Rome, who is called "Derby del Cupolone" (Derby of dome of St. Peter's).

Genoa vs Sampdoria Genoa, who is called "Derby della Lanterna" (Derby of the Lantern).
Last edited by Juventus on Thu Dec 08, 2005 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
Esbanjador

Post by Esbanjador »

pineaple stu,

that match was in February 1999.
The pitch was in great conditions! But there was no place to seat. I had to stand behind one of the nets. But it was cool anyway. There was a few kids trying to convince me to support any each of the teams and as I remained neutral saying that I was there just for the pleasure of the game they started to tease me. Heheheh
pineapple stu

Post by pineapple stu »

Ah yeah! We had a stand with only wooden benches in it at the time. Also, as Shelbourne are only a couple of miles up the road, there's probably have been a decent enough crowd at it. Since then, we've put bucket seats in the main stand, but still if a Dublin team visits, there's often nowhere left to sit. We're moving into a new ground in the next year or two, apparently, which will have 1500 seats (currently 848). You can kind of see the seats on FussballTempel.net
apw

Post by apw »

I saw today that Inter beat Milan 3 - 2 sounds like a good game, i think it was shown on English satelitte TV but i was working.
I just was wondering if Any Italian fans could answer the questions.
Have Inter now turned the Corner !
Also has anyone any news on Napoli, also who do Napoli class as a local Derby is it Salernitana or are they more interested in beating the hated Northern teams.
Dirkhuysmans

Post by Dirkhuysmans »

modano wrote:Because Belgium is such a small country and we've always had about 16-18 teams in our top flight, there are/were a lot of city/regional rivalries:

City derbies in the past:
Charleroi SC vs. Olympic Charleroi
FC Liège (5 times champion) vs. Standard CL (8 times champion)
FC Winterslag vs. THOR Waterschei
Union St.-Gilloise (11 times champion) vs. Daring Club de Bruxelles (5 times champion)
Lierse SK (CL in 97-98) vs. Lyra
KV Mechelen (CWC in 1988) vs. RC Mechelen

Nowadays:
FC Bruges vs. CS Bruges
RSC Anderlecht vs. FC Brussels
Antwerp FC (CWC final 1993) vs. Beerschot (7 times champion)

More on a regional level are:
RC Genk (merger of Winterslag and Waterschei and CL in 2002-03) vs. St.-Truidense VV
FC Bruges vs. AA Gent
SK Beveren (2 times champion) vs. SC Lokeren

And then there is of course the game between Anderlecht and Bruges, Belgium's 2 most successfull teams. It's not exactly a city rivalry (Brussels and Bruges are about 100 km apart), but worth mentioning, because the game is 9/10 deciding for the league title.
I agree with this but I have to add that in fact the games between Anderlecht and Standard de Liege where the Historical rivals.
Since Standard don't compete for the titel for more than 20 years this duel has become less important that the clash between anderlecht and bruges.

For a Regional derby I also Add 'SV Zulte waregem' (the former SV Waregem that defeated AC milan and such) against KV Kortrijk.
nitsansh

Post by nitsansh »

The big derby in Israel is undoubtly between the "reds" of Hapoel Tel Aviv and the "yellows" of Maccabi Tel Aviv. These 2 clubs are still the most succesful in the country's history, allthough in the last decade the "greens" of Maccabi Haifa is the #1 team. The latest big TA derby was played last Sunday, and Hapoel won 2:0.
Currently there are 3 teams from Tel Aviv in the top division (Bnei Yehuda is the other one), and there were times that as many as 5 or 6 played in the 1st division, but matches between Maccabi or Hapoel and the other teams, or between the other teams, are refered to as "small derby".
The only other city with 2 teams in the top division at the moment is Petah Tikva, who also has Maccabi and Hapoel. Hapoel used to be one of the strongest teams in Israel in the 50s and 60s, and holds the record of 5 consecutive championships between 1959 and 1963 (since then no team has managed to win the title 3 years in a row, but it seems Maccabi Haifa will do it this season), but in recent years Maccabi is the better team in the city, allthough it has failed to win a major title to add to its lone cup in 1952.
Haifa and Jerusalem used to have a tradition of big derby matches, but their 2nd teams (both Hapoel) are in the 2nd division in recent years, so such matches didn't take place.
Ramat Gan used to have 2 teams in the top division for many years, and both Hakoach and Hapoel won titles in the 60s and 70s, but they are no longer in the 1st division.
Matches between Maccabi Netania and Hapoel Kfar Sava are sometimes called "the Sharon derby" (no relation to the current prime minister, who in fact got his name from this region where he was born).

In Israel, teams from the same city usually play at the same stadium, so derby matches are played at a neutral ground.
ondrejSKS

Post by ondrejSKS »

In the Czech Republic:
Derbies:
Slavia - Sparta (100 years long hate, the most prestigious match in the country, the battle for Prague, very exciting even in ice hockey)

Liberec - Jablonec (northern Bohemian derby)

Baník Ostrava - SFC Opava (northern Moravian/Silesian derby, although Opava now plays 3rd division because of financial troubles - much more risky match than Jablonec - Liberec)

Rivalries:
Sparta - Baník Ostrava
Slavia - Sigma Olomouc
Baník - Brno
Coentje

Post by Coentje »

For the Netherlands

Historically: Ajax - Feijenoord
There is a lot of animosity between those two clubs and they have been the biggest clubs in the country for most of the history of football in NL

The last 3 decades; Ajax - PSV Definatly the two biggest clubs in dutch football at the moment even though Ajax is underachieving and Feijenoord is over achieving a bit :)

Regionally I will have to say NEC - Vitesse carries the most derby potential in it.
"You need not play well - just help your opponent to play badly."
Genrikh Chepukaitis, blitz master
Stef

Post by Stef »

As for Ukraine, the most interesting "derbies" are probably

Dynamo - Shakhtar - "country" derby

Local (city level) derbies aren't too interesting. Maybe, Metallist - FCKharkiv is becoming one.
Ukrainian football
Dirkhuysmans

Post by Dirkhuysmans »

pineapple stu wrote:Ah yeah! We had a stand with only wooden benches in it at the time. Also, as Shelbourne are only a couple of miles up the road, there's probably have been a decent enough crowd at it. Since then, we've put bucket seats in the main stand, but still if a Dublin team visits, there's often nowhere left to sit. We're moving into a new ground in the next year or two, apparently, which will have 1500 seats (currently 848). You can kind of see the seats on FussballTempel.net

Héhé, this is a great picture, it really does look like a very regional team in Belgium, as a matter of fact, the town I live in (Anzegem) has a team that plays in the 2nd provincial division (to situate this look in the topic about divisions, there it's all explained how low this is) and it has a better accomodation then what I can see here.
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

Celtic and Rangers is supposidly the most fierce derby in all of football, the religous tension and massive support between the 2 causes an unbeleivable atmosphere unrivaled anywhere in the world of football, in terms of trophies won between the 2 over the years rangers come out on top with 51 titles to celtics to celtics 40.