Club derbies and rivalries

Domestic league and cup football
skivaz

Post by skivaz »

Juventus,
you forgot the derby of Verona, between Hellas Verona and Chievo.

by the way seems that next year there will be only 1 derby played between Inter and Milan, infact Juventus and Turin, Roma and lazio, Genoa and Sampdoria and Chievo and Verona all will play in different series...
badgerboy

Post by badgerboy »

In England there are a huge number of derby matches. The biggest are probably already well known but there are many others that are of just as great importance to the local population.

Manchester - United v City
Liverpool - Liverpool v Everton
North London - Arsenal v Tottenham
West London - Chelsea v Fulham
South London - C.Palace v Millwall
Tyneside (North-East) - Newcastle v Sunderland (+ Middlesbro)
South Coast - Portsmouth v Southampton (+ my team Brighton)
Birmingham - Birmingham v A. Villa
Black Country (Midlands) - Wolves v WBA (+ Walsall)
Sheffield - United v Wednesday
Bristol - City v Rovers
Lancashire (North-West) - Blackburn v Bolton
Potteries (Midlands) - Stoke v Port Vale
South West - Plymouth v Exeter (+ Torquay)
Nottingham - Forest v Notts County
East Anglia - Ipswich v Norwich

In addition to the South Coast derbies mentioned above my team Brighton also have a (less clearly defined geographically) derby against Crystal Palace. Similar rivalries exist between amongst others) Swindon and Oxford (+ Reading), Luton & Watford and Bristol (especially City) and Cardiff.

Of course there are also many other - slightly less local matches - that are also classed as derbies. Liverpool v Man Utd, Leeds v Man Utd, any Birmingham team vs any Black Country team, any meeting between London teams...
Executor

Post by Executor »

Excuse me, badgerboy, I'm terrible curious: Does the name "Anglia" really exist in English? Because this is how we, Romanians, call England.
badgerboy

Post by badgerboy »

Executor

The word (or name) Anglia exists in the English language only - as far as I know - in the context in which I have used it.

The region of East Anglia is named after the ancient kingdom of the Angles. The Anglo-Saxons (Angles, Saxons and a few other related peoples) ruled England prior to the Norman invasions of 1066.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Yes, that term exists, Merriam-Webster is testimony to this - http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/anglia
I'd be more interested to know how often it's used.
In Romanian the term 'Anglia' means 'England', so are there any more languages that have this name? I know in other langauges it's called "Angleterre" or "Inglaterra", but never "Anglia".
Last edited by Giuseppe on Wed Jul 19, 2006 13:55, edited 3 times in total.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

deleted - oops! Accidentally pressed quote instead of edit ;)
badgerboy

Post by badgerboy »

Giuseppe

According to Wikipedia Anglia is the "mediaeval and Late Latin name for England" and is also the name for England in Romanian, Polish, Russian, Bulgarian, Hebrew and Hungarian languages.
badgerboy

Post by badgerboy »

Actually Wikipedia has it's own interesting list of Derby matches. Here's a link

Some it includes which contributors to this thread (from countries covered) so far haven't include:

Grazer AK v Sturm Graz (Austria)
Aalborg v Aarhus (Jutland-Denmark)
Viborg v Midtjylland (Central Jutland - Denmark)
Ajaccio v Bastia (Corsica - France)
Ankaragucu v Genclerbirligi (Ankara - Turkey)
Goztepe v Altay (+ Karsiyake) (Izmir - Turkey)
Maritimo v Nacional (Madeirense - Portugal)
Braga v Guimaraes (Minhoto - Portugal)
Palermo v Catania (Sicily - Italy)
Messina v Reggina (Derby dello Stretto - Italy)
Brescia v Atalanta (North Derby - Italy)
Bari v Lecce (Puglia - Italy)
Fiorentina v Bologna (Appennino - Italy)
Napoli v Roma (Derby of the Sun - Italy)
Cagliari v Palermo (Derby delle Isole - Italy)
Pisa v Livorno (Derby del Tirreno - Italy)
Sparta v Feyenoord (+ Excelsior) - (Rotterdam - Holland)
Groningen v Heerenveen (North - Holland)
NAC v Willem II (Streekderby - Holland)

Most of these are obviously more obscure than the more traditional ones named but I would be interested in any info. on any of them.

Giuseppe - For Romania the list includes one derby that you haven't - the Ploiesti derby between Petrolul and Astra. From this and looking at the romaniansoccer.ro site you told me about before I see that both these teams (formerly briefly merged) played in the same section of Divizia B last year as did Juventus Colentina Bucuresti. Romaniansoccer.ro gives the foundation date of the Juventus club as 1924 (the same as the historic Juventus Bucharest) but the historic club is written in Wikipedia as having moved to Ploeisti in 1952 and become Petrolul. Was anything made of this historical question when the two teams met?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

I don't think Petrolul - Astra was ever considered much of a derby, even on a local level. Astra has very few (if any) supporters of its own.
Well Juventus Colentina (Colentina is a quarter of Bucuresti) has nothing to do with the old Juventus Bucuresti, as the Colentina team was founded after 1990.
Although on paper the succesor of Juventus, no one really considers Petrolul as being the same team as Juventus Bucuresti. At any rate this is a disputed thing and it's hard to give an 100% accurate answer.

Edit: I've started a thread on a forum regarding the Juventus - Petrolul identity problem; hopefully someone will have a better answer and when I get it I'll post it here.
Last edited by Giuseppe on Wed Jul 19, 2006 15:43, edited 2 times in total.
apw

Post by apw »

Badgerboy :

Although Chelsea v Fulham is geographically an important derby, it means a whole lot more to Fulham fans than those of Chelsea, likewise with QPR who historically hate Chelsea.
From a Chelsea supporters point of view, there will always be more passion to a Chelsea v West Ham or Tottenham fixture and more recently Arsenal.
West Ham generally have the same situation with Leyton Orient who are their nearest rivals but whose paths have crossed so few times that Millwall, Chelsea & Tottenham are always the real deal for them.

One derby not mentioned and probably not known about but all the same fiercely fought is Darlington v Hartlepool in the North East :lol:

Also Badger i seem to remember about 20 - 30 years ago Brighton having a big rivalry with Crystal Palace !
badgerboy

Post by badgerboy »

apw

You haven't been paying attention much :wink_anim: My earlier post does indeed mention the Brighton - Crystal Palace issue. Not being from the area I could never really work it out but I suppose they are geographically close. The rivalry hasn't been much in recent years because they haven't played each other much but it's still great enough that Brighton rush-realised a video (or presumably DVD!) after they beat them in the league last year. I believe it was a scrappy 1-0 so I didn't invest!

I also know a bit about Darlington-Hartlepool. For some reason I've never been able to fathom a bunch of my friends from around here (Buckinghamshire) have adopted Hartlepool as their second team and go and watch them play two or three times a year.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Just as I thought - Juventus Bucuresti and Petrolul Ploiesti should be considered different teams because:
a) they changed names
b) they changed cities
In statistics Petrolul Ploiesti isn't given the national title that Juventus won in the '30. The only ones that support the theory that the two are the same team are a few Petrolul sites and forums that do this in order to give their own club a richer history.
panda

Post by panda »

I'm from East Anglia - there's kind of a regional identity (flat countryside, lots of wheat growing (Ipswich nickname is Tractor Boys), it's sort of cut off from rest of country.

Otherwise I agree with badgerboy's English derby list. As lubomir25 says, in Scotland Celtic v Rangers is much bigger than any other derby (e.g. the 2 Edinburgh sides, hearts v hibernian, or dundee v dundee utd.)
Executor

Post by Executor »

What a coincidence! I'm from Ploieşti and I can tell you everything you want to know about Petrolul.

Juventus Bucureşti was renamed Flacăra Bucureşti and in 1952 was moved from the capital to Ploieşti, renamed into Flacăra Ploieşti and later Petrolul. I don't know when Juventus Colentina was founded, but I don't see any connection with Petrolul.

About Petrolul-Astra, it was a derby. Not big, because Petrolul was a giant compared to Astra (record-wise), but it was. And Astra had quite a lot of supporters. It was a "neighbourghood" team and those people didn't have anything else to do :wink:
There were so many protests (almost a revolution) in Ploieşti when those two merged.... (that was also the moment I stop following the team.... :cry: )
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

badgerboy wrote:Actually Wikipedia has it's own interesting list of Derby matches.

Ajaccio v Bastia (Corsica - France)
I would not qualify this one as a big derby, not even as a small derby.

First because although both located in Corsica, these 2 cities are not that close to each other (around 150 km difference and about 3 hours drive or train).
Second because this "derby" has no history (Bastia historically is "the" club of Corsica as Ajaccio has a very recent history).
Third because there is no real rivalry between these 2 clubs.

To me, the real derby for Bastia or for Ajaccio is Nice. They really don't like each other :wink:

By the way, it is interesting to notice that although the average attendance in Bastia is very low (around 5,000 when they played in Ligue 1), Bastia has (had) the second or third largest market share in France terms of pay-per-view subscriptions.
They have a large and faithfull fan base all over the country (obviously all Corsicans living "in the continent" + all those living in Corsica but unable to attend the games as transportation time is always high in Corsica because of the mountains, etc;)

Coming back to the derbies, it is generally accepted that Lyon-St Etienne is the biggest one in France. Nancy-Metz, Nimes-Montpellier and to some extent Lens-Lille or Rennes-Nantes are the other local derbies (although I am personnally not convinced that for the 2 last ones fans really dislike each other).
Don't forget to post your predictions for the new season
viewtopic.php?p=563580#p563580