cycling

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
NederPAOKtzis

Post by NederPAOKtzis »

MATHIEU VAN DER POEL !!!!!!!
PAOK is not a club. PAOK is a cultural phenomenon.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Another great day with 5 more golds and 2 more silvers! :applause: :applause: :applause:

The highlight was the Women's B Sprint. These para events can have large gaps between riders, so after we lost the first race pretty comfortably to the Aussies, I expected a silver. But the second race, being roared on by the home crowd, with a mighty effort, they managed to scrape a very narrow come from behind win in the second race. The third race was much more comfortable, and the gold was theirs. Was also a little extra sweet to beat Aussies after the netball final. :smile1:

Other medals:

Gold, Women's C1 Individual Pursuit
Gold and silver, Men's C3 Individual Pursuit
Gold, Women's C4 500M Time Trial
Gold, Men's C4 Scratch Race
Silver, Men's Individual Pursuit (this one was gutting after having a wide lead closed down to a loss by 0.054 seconds.)
matt

Post by matt »

I saw the World Cup (the main race). Good try by Italy with Bettiol, great win for VDP. I was hoping for a Pogacar win, he arrived third, not bad at all just two weeks after an exausting Tour de France.
International break hater
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

Lorric wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 22:51 Another great day with 5 more golds and 2 more silvers! :applause: :applause: :applause:

The highlight was the Women's B Sprint. These para events can have large gaps between riders, so after we lost the first race pretty comfortably to the Aussies, I expected a silver. But the second race, being roared on by the home crowd, with a mighty effort, they managed to scrape a very narrow come from behind win in the second race. The third race was much more comfortable, and the gold was theirs. Was also a little extra sweet to beat Aussies after the netball final. :smile1:

Other medals:

Gold, Women's C1 Individual Pursuit
Gold and silver, Men's C3 Individual Pursuit
Gold, Women's C4 500M Time Trial
Gold, Men's C4 Scratch Race
Silver, Men's Individual Pursuit (this one was gutting after having a wide lead closed down to a loss by 0.054 seconds.)
Watched the last bit of the races. Is there any sport you don't follow? 😀😝
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Kieran Reilly took the men's elite BMX freestyle park for the first gold, while Ethan Vernon kick-started the track team with gold in the men's elimination race.

In the men's B sprint, para-cyclist Neil Fachie eased to victory with pilot Matthew Rotherham.

Neah Evans and Elinor Barker were crowned world madison champions.

Jack Carlin took bronze in the men's elite sprint as he defeated Polish rider Mateusz Rudyk.
I was watching what happened on the track yesterday. Unfortunately I had to take a difficult phone call throughout the elimination race, the elimination race is my favourite event, and not only did we win it, our man Ethan Vernon, through no fault of his own, was brought down with about 8 riders left. And he got up with the damage to his suit and body, got back in the race, and won the gold! What a champion! :mol:

I really wish I could have experienced that race with my full attention.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Yesterday's medals:

Gold, Women's C1 Scratch Race
Silver, Men's Madison
Gold, Mixed B Team Sprint
Silver, Mixed C Team Sprint

Para track cycling is over, we utterly dominated, I don't think we were far off from having more golds than the rest of the World combined!

We're top of the able table as well with 4 events left tonight. 4 golds, which I know is tied with someone else with 4, but we're top.

EDIT:

Last edited by Lorric on Wed Aug 09, 2023 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

That Para track medal table, we had 18 golds, 9 silvers and 3 bronze. Next best was France, 7 golds, 2 silvers, 5 bronze. There were 48 events total.

We've topped the able table too with 5 golds, 3 silvers and 1 bronze from 22 events. Netherlands were 2nd with 4 golds and 1 silver.

The new gold was in the Women's Sprint.

On the road, we got a bronze in the Men's Individual Time Trial and another bronze in the Trials Mixed Team.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Remco Evenepoel is the new TT World Champion, the first Belgian and the second to win both World titles (the first was the Spanish Abraham Olano).
Filippo Ganna was second, Joshua Tarling third, Nelson Oliveira 6th while Pogaçar only 21st and João Almeida 23rd.

Today Volta a Portugal stage 3, flat stage in the heat of Alentejo and Algarve.
NederPAOKtzis

Post by NederPAOKtzis »

I was delighted with the performance of Tarling. The lad is just 19 y.o. leaving the other big names of TT in recent years behind him. A great prospect for GB's cyclinh
PAOK is not a club. PAOK is a cultural phenomenon.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

I just want to add that we've still been collecting numerous medals, including several golds, since the track cycling ended.

I've still been watching some of it, but I've found it hard to follow without a schedule detailing specific start times and the presence of British riders or not like I normally find with these big multi-medal sporting events. I'm also unfamiliar with what some events even are. There's a variety of bicycle-wheeled contraptions being raced here.
NederPAOKtzis wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 13:11 I was delighted with the performance of Tarling. The lad is just 19 y.o. leaving the other big names of TT in recent years behind him. A great prospect for GB's cyclinh
And yes, this deserves a mention, and is one of the things I saw live. The BBC had advertised this as our other rider, Geraint Thomas, "Going for gold", with no mention of this kid making his senior debut. Since I'm not familiar with these kinds of events, I thought Tarling must have been our gold medal hope, until I saw Thomas roll across the line and remembered it was his name I saw advertised.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Looking around at the coverage, I caught the medal presentation for the Men's U23 Road Race. It's the first one I've seen of these championships, don't know if other events might be different, but these are BIG medals! The biggest I've ever seen!
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Tom Pidcock won a mountain bike gold, so I checked out his medal ceremony. He gets a BIG gold medal too, and highland cow plush that every medalist gets.

Here's some medalists with their medals and plushies:

rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Lorric wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 18:25 Tom Pidcock won a mountain bike gold, so I checked out his medal ceremony. He gets a BIG gold medal too, and highland cow plush that every medalist gets.

What are they? Goats?
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

rpo.castro wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 18:47
Lorric wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 18:25 Tom Pidcock won a mountain bike gold, so I checked out his medal ceremony. He gets a BIG gold medal too, and highland cow plush that every medalist gets.

What are they? Goats?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_cattle
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Lorric wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 18:48
rpo.castro wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 18:47

What are they? Goats?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_cattle
:up: