What other sports do you follow?

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Lorric wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 20:28
Lorric wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 13:35 England women with a 5-0 win over Wales in the hockey to sweep their group. :applause:

They'll get a rematch in the semis with New Zealand who beat them in the World Cup...
Well that was a frustrating match. England much the better team throughout but just couldn't score. Penalties...
MADDIE. FUCKING. HINCH. The GOAT goalie does it again. :mol:

Three saves and one shot wide. Two of the saves were excellent. England win the shootout 2-0! :applause:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Don't normally get a chance to enjoy wrestling, lots of countries are just better at it than us, but we bagged a couple of bronze medals today, including one by pin. :smile1:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

England men's hockey team just can't win a knockout game at the Commonwealth Games. They've been to the knockouts all 7 times and lost all 7 times (6 semis and one quarter final when the tournament had that format.) This one was especially painful, losing 2-3 from 2-0 up and failing to score even once off 15 penalty corners. Going an extended period a man down and even two men down without conceding. Australia now face India to claim a 7th out of 7 golds. England can at least win the bronze medal match sometimes. They'll face South Africa.

The netball team lost to Australia. Fortune didn't favour the brave, but it didn't favour New Zealand either as Jamaica beat them as well.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

The women on the other hand can. They've never won the gold, but this will be their 4th final, and the other 3 times they won bronze. Australia again, who also won through on penalties. Australia have won gold 4/6 times. The other two times, England beat them in the semis only to lose to India, and the other, New Zealand beat them in the final.

Five English boxers will have gold medal bouts tomorrow. I'll mention we did manage to get another wrestling bronze by pin.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

England vs India is going to be the theme for the boxing, three of the finals are that match. Throughout the games, that match has happened another three times, with England prevailing twice. The other two finals are vs Northern Ireland and Samoa.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Okay here's something that might interest the rest of you, and something I hope I don't forget about (and I can watch.) Next year, it will be in progress this time next year, will be the inaugural UCI Cycling World Championships, an event planned to be held every four years, it will be the biggest ever cycling event with over 190 World Champions being crowned, and the cherry on top for me, my country is hosting it, though in Glasgow, not England.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_UC ... mpionships
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Netball team is the biggest disappointment of the games. Defending champions in a home games with superb crowd support and couldn't even medal. Limp performance in the bronze medal match.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

The women's hockey team currently lead Australia 2-0. Please don't fail.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

The England beach volleyball men, the Bello brothers, just beat surprise package Rwanda in the bronze medal match. Another sport I don't normally get to enjoy. I've had fun with it this games, the European Championships will be hot on the heels of the Commonwealth Games, which will hopefully give us all something to talk about since all your countries will be invited to that party. Beach volleyball will be contested there, but even with 32 teams per sex, there will be no British representation.

Paul Drinkhall and Liam Pitchford defended the table tennis gold they won at the last Commonwealth Games against the same Indian team as the last final with the same outcome, a 3-2 win. Very interestingly, the men's singles semis are later today, involving all four men in two further England vs India duels...
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

It's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming! Hockey's coming home!

Fans were singing that with 70 seconds left. Wonder where they got idea from? :wink:

Australia shut them up with a goal with 20 seconds left, but it was too little too late.

The 3X3 basketball gold was a wonderful surprise, but this has to be the highlight. I've waited long years to see an England Commonwealth Games hockey gold. History has been made today. :smile1: :smile1: :smile1: :smile1: :smile1:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Meanwhile, Paul Drinkhall has fallen in the first semi. It's up to Liam Pitchford to beat both of the Indians now.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Liam Pitchford won, so the duels will continue between these men! :)

Pitchford also beat the third Indian in the tournament in the quarter finals, so he could potentially wipe their whole team out himself.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Lorric wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 23:43 England vs India is going to be the theme for the boxing, three of the finals are that match. Throughout the games, that match has happened another three times, with England prevailing twice. The other two finals are vs Northern Ireland and Samoa.
India got the better of us with two wins. Northern Ireland still kryptonite. We won at Heavyweight and Super Heavyweight. The latter, the last bout of the games, was an absolute war. After losing the first round to the Indian unanimously, he dug DEEP and the two men absolutely beat the shit out of each other.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Northern Ireland won 5 golds. Scotland got 3 and Wales got 2. Pretty odd as I think we went something like 7 or 8-1 vs other Brits.

India got 3 golds and the final one went to Canada.

And England just won the women's 4X400M relay by one hundredth of a second! :o
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

What an absolute buzzkill. England got DQ'd for a lane infringement. Gold to Canada.