What other sports do you follow?

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

SimonB wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:09
BurningStorm wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 09:35 I didn't notice so far: we've won the medal table of the 'World Games 2022': "an international multi-sport event, meant for sports, or disciplines or events within a sport, that were not contested in the Olympic Games."

Did anyone watch this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_World_Games
No, but I have heard of the event, and I watched some of it in 1985 when it was hosted at Crystal Palace near London :exclamation:

I don't think most people here have heard of it, and I only found out about it because I attended an athletics event at Crystal Palace, which was at that time our National athletics stadium, and was within reasonable travelling distance for me.
Interesting. I guess it was a much smaller competition back then with only a few events?

@Lorric: Yeah, the website is not so good, but you can find a lot on Youtube. I saw this Frisbee match, very weird but interesting to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-00JQlL2wY
Not every sports events are that exotic, things like kickboxing, karate or squash could also easily be part of the normal Olympics. (edit: karate actually is)

ps: how sick is this?
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

She's not English, but still a top highlight of the games, Eilish McColgan of Scotland winning the 10,000M and breaking the Commonwealth Games record. It was an epic struggle with Kenya's Irene Cheptai for the win.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Another top highlight, Australia have dominated in the pool, we're at the end, and the England men won the 4X100M Medley relay by 0.08 seconds! Tom Dean on the final stretch led, but was overtaken by the Aussie. Thought it was over, but he found an extra gear and chased him down to scrape the win! :applause:
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

BurningStorm wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 20:20
SimonB wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:09
BurningStorm wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 09:35 I didn't notice so far: we've won the medal table of the 'World Games 2022': "an international multi-sport event, meant for sports, or disciplines or events within a sport, that were not contested in the Olympic Games."

Did anyone watch this?

No, but I have heard of the event, and I watched some of it in 1985 when it was hosted at Crystal Palace near London :exclamation:

I don't think most people here have heard of it, and I only found out about it because I attended an athletics event at Crystal Palace, which was at that time our National athletics stadium, and was within reasonable travelling distance for me.
Interesting. I guess it was a much smaller competition back then with only a few events?

@Lorric: Yeah, the website is not so good, but you can find a lot on Youtube. I saw this Frisbee match, very weird but interesting to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-00JQlL2wY
Not every sports events are that exotic, things like kickboxing, karate or squash could also easily be part of the normal Olympics. (edit: karate actually is)

ps: how sick is this?
i checked out the statistics for these events. The edition that I saw a little of was the 2nd edition, the inaugural event was in 1981 in Santa Clara.
There were 134 golds awarded at Crystal Palace compared to 224 for the most recent games that you were referring to. So, yes, it has expanded, but perhaps not such a lot when you compare with other big events such as the Olympic games themselves.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

England women with a 5-0 win over Wales in the hockey to sweep their group. :applause:

They'll get a rematch in the semis with New Zealand who beat them in the World Cup...
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Big surprise in the netball. I thought tonight's game against New Zealand would be to avoid Australia (usually the top team in this sport), but Jamaica beat Australia and won that group.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

We've got a really unique situation unfolding in the hockey. England men need to beat Canada by 14 goals to win the group, something I dismissed as impossible. With about 3mins left in Q3, the score at 5-1 England and Canada getting a red card, England pulled the goalkeeper and they think they can do it! They scored twice in the three minutes, so it's 7-1. Need 8 unanswered goals...
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

England overwhelmed Canada, but it was a ridiculous target they had to hit. A lot of fun to watch though! It ended 11-2.

England finish runner up and will face Australia in the semis. Australia are the #1 ranked team in the World and have won gold at every single prior Commonwealth Games.
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

Did anyone watch this?

Israel is 11th with 7 gold medals :applause: Amazing for such a small country, there wasn't any coverage of it that I noticed.
All of our medals came from 3 disciples: Rhythmic gymnastics, Kickboxing and Ju-jitsu :) We know how to move in rhythm and to kick ;)
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Lorric wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 17:27 Big surprise in the netball. I thought tonight's game against New Zealand would be to avoid Australia (usually the top team in this sport), but Jamaica beat Australia and won that group.
Well, both teams definitely wanted to win, but it was England who triumphed and played very well, especially in the last quarter, winning 54-44 in front of a high energy crowd. :applause:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Lorric wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 13:14 All boxing has now reached the quarter final stage. Our fighters are W12, L1 so far. The unlucky one was drawn against a Northern Irishman in the last 16, always strong at boxing.
Quarter finals are over. Big step up in difficulty, 6 of our boxers fell, but 7 advanced and thus will medal. Northern Ireland is kryptonite, 0-3 vs them, but 5-0 against other Brits. No clashes with Northern Ireland in the semis though.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Vettel (Aston Martin) out
Alonso (Alpine) replaces Vettel
Alpine anounces junior driver Oscar Piastri will replace Alonso
Oscar Piastri says he won't drive for Alpine
Alpine says "Yes you will"
Now Piastri is going to race in McLaren (FIA have cleared that Alpine has no contract with Piastri for 2023 because they had till July 31st to sign the option and Alonso only announced he would leave at August 1st).

McLaren now has 3 drivers for 2023: Norris, Piastri and the very criticized Ricciardo.
Ricciardo might end in Alpine, the team he left in a shocking way to join McLaren...

And Mick Schumacher might not get a seat next season.

And the first week of F1 summer sill season isn't yet complete.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

And we have the hopeful Nicky De Vries, who hopes to race F1 next year too…

But is McLaren a better choice as Alpine? I don’t understand what happened with Piastri. And what he wants
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Ricardo wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 15:02 And we have the hopeful Nicky De Vries, who hopes to race F1 next year too…

But is McLaren a better choice as Alpine? I don’t understand what happened with Piastri. And what he wants
He didn't like
1) being left out when in 3 consecutive years he was 3 times champions, always at 1st atempt
2) even for 2023 he wasn't the choice for Alpine. They tried to renew the contract with Alonso and put Piastri on Williams. Alonso refused 1 year extension and another on WEC, wanted 2 on F1 and only when Alonso left Alpine said, ok lets get the other guy, not even talking with.

On the other hand he has a team with the contracted drivers plus the ones in Indycar, plus Alex Palou (with valid contract with Ganassi) and says "We want you". And for the money spent, Alpine has done a very very bad job.

I don't see De Vries getting a seat. His chance was gone. Low budget teams will want a driver with big sponsors or from a huge market (China, USA). There are drivers from drivers academy without a seat. De Vries will hace to make carreer in FE, WEC, Indy, etc
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Lorric wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 13:35 England women with a 5-0 win over Wales in the hockey to sweep their group. :applause:

They'll get a rematch in the semis with New Zealand who beat them in the World Cup...
Well that was a frustrating match. England much the better team throughout but just couldn't score. Penalties...