Portugal won the Eurovision?

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
Thunder_PT

Portugal won the Eurovision?

Post by Thunder_PT »

Major off topic, I know, but can we have a moment?

How did this happen? I didn't even know it was on, didn't watch it. We only have one neighbour and they never vote for us. What's going on?

I swear this is the last thing I ever expected Portugal to win. If someone told me one of two would happen in the next 50 years, Portugal will win the Eurovision or single handedly defeat invading more advanced technologically aliens, I'd bet the latter.
spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Congratulations to Portugal! I always like it when an outsider wins and hosts Eurovision for the first time.

As for the winning song... I have to say that I didn't follow the show very closely, and the Portuguese entry was so low-key that I didn't even notice it. My favourites were Belgium (a catchy modern pop song) and the yodeling song from Romania. :grin1:
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

For some reason the Portugal entry was promoted too much this year. Eurovision is trying to sell a "serious" profile the last years, with the juries doing their best to push down classic pop and dance songs and to promote the type of songs like Portugal this year or Ukraine last year. People also have started voting more..randomly, by taking in factor things like politics (ukraine 2016), messages (Austria, 2014). I think that the portuguese singer has a serious heart condition AND was talking about the refugees in the press conference. So not much of a surprise.

SInce I ve mentioned it, these juries need to go. They keep disrupting the standings with giving points to songs the people dont like (this year Austria and Australia, last year Malta etc) and destroying popular songs (last year the Polish were furious because their song was 4th in televoting and 25th in the juries).
seso

Post by seso »

Congratulations to Portugal for winning the European Championship in 2016 and the Eurovision song contest in 2017, the two most important competitions in life! I hope they are celebrating as the Greeks did in 2004 and 2005! :thumbs: :wink1:
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

Firnen wrote:I think that the portuguese singer has a serious heart condition AND was talking about the refugees in the press conference. So not much of a surprise.
As neither the song nor the performance deserved points, that's a very likely explanation for what has happened.

But anyway, the 2017 edition was a new low for the contest. In most year, I have three or four songs that I like. This year, there was no song at all that I liked. Moldova was the only entry that I could at least like a bit, for the sax solo. Unfortunately, they ended up only third.
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

seso wrote:[...] the European Championship in 2016 and the Eurovision song contest in 2017, the two most important competitions in life!
And the World Cup of course only number 5 after Snooker and Curling... :D
Maribor

Post by Maribor »

Eurovision is still political, the fact Russia didn't enter because there entrant was banned from Ukraine is an example of this.

I wish we would refuse to enter this stupid competition, I don't want us to win it or to host it here as it costs far too much money and i'd rather that money was used on other things like Slovenian people who are struggling in life or the high unemployment amongst our youth for example.
All i'm saying is I would prefer a better quality of life for our citizens than a few days being happy because we won Eurovision.
Only Slovenian Team to Reach Champions League and Europa League Group Stage.
levski.bg

Post by levski.bg »

Congratulation to Portugal. :applause:

With a few gaps in the timeline I enjoy Eurovision, since 80s.

Behind the Iron Curtain, the only way to see it was to catch TV channel from Jugoslavia (it was Radio Televizija Beograd I think), which fortunately was able to be catched with of some bigger TV antennas (at least in the western parts of my country).

With my understanding that neighbor/friends voting is not fair, but I guess inevitable, the only thing that bother me is the feeling sometimes that some countries try real hard to win it, spending lot of resources which, I guess aim sometimes politic purpose.
I have a blue house with a blue window.
Blue is the colour of all that I wear.
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too.
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue.
Maribor

Post by Maribor »

Levski the countries behind the "iron curtain" of the 1970's had their own singing contest, Yugoslavia entered for the first competition and then left after one year. I can't remember the reasons they left because I was very young when that was happening but there was a contest in 2008 to celebrate 40 years or something since the first contest.

I saw a BBC documentary a few years ago where they talked about how the voting for the contest was done via people switching the lights on and off when they liked a song and the electricity activity was how they decided the winner :lol:.
Only Slovenian Team to Reach Champions League and Europa League Group Stage.
levski.bg

Post by levski.bg »

Yes Maribor, I guess you talk about Intervision. I remember it. For some strange reason, because obviously both contests was some sort of politically divided, I remember that Finland participate in Intervision, but maybe they wanted to participate on them both.

I saw some YouTube video from voting in the early years, where country announcer has told that is not ready with the points and still wait for them. :lol:

Btw, the Slovenian announcer was very nice guy. I remember that he always made few jokes that "brakes" the form of point announcing. But from a few years, I think he left.
Maribor wrote:Levski the countries behind the "iron curtain" of the 1970's had their own singing contest, Yugoslavia entered for the first competition and then left after one year. I can't remember the reasons they left because I was very young when that was happening but there was a contest in 2008 to celebrate 40 years or something since the first contest.

I saw a BBC documentary a few years ago where they talked about how the voting for the contest was done via people switching the lights on and off when they liked a song and the electricity activity was how they decided the winner :lol:.
I have a blue house with a blue window.
Blue is the colour of all that I wear.
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too.
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue.
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

Yoohoo! :)
We won the Eurovision!
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Firnen wrote:For some reason the Portugal entry was promoted too much this year. Eurovision is trying to sell a "serious" profile the last years, with the juries doing their best to push down classic pop and dance songs and to promote the type of songs like Portugal this year or Ukraine last year. People also have started voting more..randomly, by taking in factor things like politics (ukraine 2016), messages (Austria, 2014). I think that the portuguese singer has a serious heart condition AND was talking about the refugees in the press conference. So not much of a surprise.

SInce I ve mentioned it, these juries need to go. They keep disrupting the standings with giving points to songs the people dont like (this year Austria and Australia, last year Malta etc) and destroying popular songs (last year the Polish were furious because their song was 4th in televoting and 25th in the juries).
Sounds like it's even more of a farce than it was when I last watched it a lot of years ago.
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

Lorric wrote: Sounds like it's even more of a farce than it was when I last watched it a lot of years ago.
Actually, it was a very nice contest. The Eurovision becomes more seriously arranged contest every year. Yes, it's kitschy and very pop-cultury competition, but it's maticulously arranged to the very small details.

About Israel, we may suck in football, but at least we know how to sing! :)

BTW, it was nice to see that the NCIS chick is portuguese. Very beautiful women there :)
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

EarlofBug wrote: BTW, it was nice to see that the NCIS chick is portuguese. Very beautiful women there :)
A friend of mine who was there on vacation for some weeks was disappointed. But it was his view, so no offense, I like Portugal as a country, and maybe he just picked the wrong areas :wink:

Didn't watch the show. Germany 4th is okay, we usually send unknown amateur singers. I checked a few songs on youtube, I really like the Hungarian song , should have won (forget the haircut) ! :applause:
Carson

Post by Carson »

I heard that we were well revived by the judges but the public voted us last haha.