Portugal won the Eurovision?

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
Polak

Post by Polak »

Eurovision voting has been a joke for a long time. Lots of countries always vote for each other no matter what their songs are. That's why when they go through the results of the votes now, they don't show the votes from the people by country (they only show judges votes by country) because the audience would normally boo when they would show certain countries giving each other 12 points every year.

In this year's edition Ukraine could have put out a plank of wood with a face drawn on it for 3 minutes with no music, and still would have won. I don't much care for or respect the Eurovision song contest, but this year's was completely pointless when you knew who would win beforehand, a but like a Russian election ( :grin1: ).

What will they do now? Perhaps give Ukrainian teams in European competitions a 5-0 head start in matches, or why not just give them walkover wins?
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

@Polak, see my post of a year ago. The last 30-40 years this has not been a songcontest, but a liking contest where the story and the show are more important than the song. And so yes it was upfront already known that the story of Ukraine would win, no matter the song. That the song was not that bad is a pr0 (much better as last year winner ;)).
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

Firnen wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 23:44 I'm so over the "sad girl sings slow song" template.
You must've liked North Macedonia entry ;) It wasn't bad imo.
Firnen wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 02:01 I'm happy that the UK and Spain finished that high.
Spain wasn't that good, just a J Lo wannabe.
The UK song is really nice!
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

EarlofBug wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 18:32
Firnen wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 23:44 I'm so over the "sad girl sings slow song" template.
Firnen wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 02:01 I'm happy that the UK and Spain finished that high.
Spain was a lot about the show
UK was nice, but not special, Im not sure if there was one that really was special with different rythms. But I havent heared even half of the songs maybe I have heared too much or am just (very) old fashioned ;)
ngfsmg

Post by ngfsmg »

Ricardo wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 20:57
UK was nice, but not special, Im not sure if there was one that really was special with different rythms. But I havent heared even half of the songs maybe I have heared too much or am just (very) old fashioned ;)
This is supposed to be a song contest, with the show being an extra, not the other way around. Yes, the Spanish girl made a good show, and she showed her talent by singing and dancing at the same time, but the music was rubbish, just Google translate the lyrics if you haven't already
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

ngfsmg wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 22:04

This is supposed to be a song contest, with the show being an extra, not the other way around. Yes, the Spanish girl made a good show, and she showed her talent by singing and dancing at the same time, but the music was rubbish, just Google translate the lyrics if you haven't already
If you are in the 20th century yes its all about the song...
People vote in what they like. Its not an objective contest, its about personal likes and dislikes.
For all saying ESC is just rubbish, why do you watch?
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

rpo.castro wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 22:26 For all saying ESC is just rubbish, why do you watch?
I don’t, but as I like music very much I look at the top 3 afterwards. And as I follow the news I hear a lot about it…
I complain because I used to like it and want it like it was. Just like with European Cup 1 and 3. It used to be so good (‘vroeguh’). Times are changing. But I’d like to watch as it was, now I don’t watch it anymore. (Neither!)
ngfsmg

Post by ngfsmg »

rpo.castro wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 22:26
ngfsmg wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 22:04

If you are in the 20th century yes its all about the song...
People vote in what they like. Its not an objective contest, its about personal likes and dislikes.
For all saying ESC is just rubbish, why do you watch?
Well, I'm not a Porto fan and just wanted to distract myself...
greenbay

Post by greenbay »

ngfsmg wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 22:04This is supposed to be a song contest, with the show being an extra, not the other way around. Yes, the Spanish girl made a good show, and she showed her talent by singing and dancing at the same time, but the music was rubbish, just Google translate the lyrics if you haven't already
The Spanish girl literally showed a lot on the stage, not only talent. Traditionally this helps a lot, turning a solid song into a potential winner.
"Put it in your signature to save you the trouble of writing it over and over again."
Todor

Post by Todor »

greenbay wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 07:03 The Spanish girl literally showed a lot on the stage, not only talent.
Not in terms of clothing :D
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Ricardo wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 22:39
rpo.castro wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 22:26 For all saying ESC is just rubbish, why do you watch?
I don’t, but as I like music very much I look at the top 3 afterwards. And as I follow the news I hear a lot about it…
I complain because I used to like it and want it like it was. Just like with European Cup 1 and 3. It used to be so good (‘vroeguh’). Times are changing. But I’d like to watch as it was, now I don’t watch it anymore. (Neither!)
Well, people usual say "it used to be good", or even often "in my time" (are they dead? isn't the present their time?) like all in the past used to be good and glistering, like in a golden bubble. Well its not.
I can't remember European cups being as good as they are now, with lots of match holding your breath till last minute and with lots of skills. When you re-watch matches from that time, quality was nothing related to nowadays. And the same to ESC. This edition was the most solid as I can remember with lots of good songs that could get (and got) high scores, with a lot of different styles. There was almost a music for everyone to like. So, no, it wasn't better in the past.
Polak

Post by Polak »

By the way apparently the entry for Belgium was a football player who plays in the Belgian 2nd division.
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

I liked the six songs in the final, but none of them were among the leaders. :dontknow: Czech Republic,Romania, Germany,Netherland,Poland and Estonia was the best for me. :applause: :banana:
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

My favourites were Sweden, Spain and Serbia in that order, and they all made it into the top 5, so quite happy with the overall result. Not particularly unhappy about Ukraine winning, and it's still quite a bit better than some of the worst winners in my time (Azerbaijan 2011 + Latvia 2002 come to mind).
Like I wrote last year, I really like where the show has been at these last 5-10 years with high quality + many varied style of performances. This year was no different. There was probably a bit too many male ballads in the final this year, as the juries had dragged boring songs like Switzerland and Azerbaijan (zero televote points in the semi) along to the final. But other than that I really enjoyed it again.

Interesting where it will end up being hosted in 2023. I'm guessing Ukraine won't be in a state, where you can conceivably pick a city there to host it, as the decision probably needs to be made by september/early october. One guess could be Poland because that's where there is the most Ukrainian refugees and it's a neighbouring country, while another good guess is probably UK as 2nd placed country + very supportive of Ukraine.
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

Polak wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 18:05 By the way apparently the entry for Belgium was a football player who plays in the Belgian 2nd division.
He is a goalkeeper for Excelsior Virton