Post by rpo.castro »

So far as predicted
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Sweden!!!
Loreen takes it for the 2nd time.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Lorric wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 01:08 Aside from Ukraine, only Spain, Serbia and Moldova were favoured over us.

Does this mean we can all be friends now, people of Europe? :smile1:

And so, the dastardly plan against us is revealed. You get to host if you win, but Ukraine represented a unique opportunity for them to put the competition in my country without giving us a win, so they could make us bomb on home ground. :tongue: :wink:
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

The juries distort the winner as usually.

The people wanted Finland, but the jury once again hates fun songs and prefers radio-friendly pop + "lone girl singing" (look at how many points they gave Estonia, Lithuania and Spain vs the public). They also buried Norway and Croatia which were 3rd and 7th in the public.

On the other side, diaspora voting is tiring and honestly unfair. Some countries are immune to last places because they have diasporas. Look where the UK and Italy give points (10 Lithuania, 8 Poland for the UK, 12 Moldova, 8 Ukraine for Italy), where Ukraine, Poland and Albania get their points from...
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

Israel has a good song this year.
The political situation may decide, but in the end, usually good songs win.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Croatia big favourite in the bookers followed by Switzerland (37% win and 16% win)
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Portugal in the final. Luxembourg also, Slovenia, Serbia, Ukraine, Croatia, Ireland and Lituania. Can't remember the missing ones.

Since the introduction of semifinals its first time we qualify 4 times in a row for the final.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

The only surprise was Slovenia and Serbia qualifying both (instead of only 1 of them) and Poland not qualifying.

Perhaps there was neighbour voting between the 3 ex-Yugoslav countries and the Rest of the World vote, in which Bosnia and Montenegro are included.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I’m curious how the disqualification of the Netherlands is seen/handled across Europe,
In the Netherlands it was no news and only speculations since yestreday afternoon and now it only becomes a bit clear what has happened.
Dutch tv statement says that after the semifinal there was an agreement that Klein would not be filmed leaving the podium. But there was a woman filming him anyway. He asked her a couple of times to stop, but she continued and then he made an aggressive gesture in the direction of the camera (no fysical contact was made). And that is all.
If it was like this it all seems a bit overreacting, so I still wonder. And as she was filming, there must be a tape with the incident on it. I hope this will be shown one day….
I missed also any form of apology from the Dutch side to the camerawoman, so it is a one sided story and not really trying to bridge the gap.

I liked the song and enjoyed that the audience participated in it, so it’s a pity. He wouldn’t have won, so no drama in that, but still.

Now it seems there are all kind of additional problems, like a Norwegian jurymember quitting, the French act ma,ing a political statement in the middle of the song, countries not willing to participate in some presentations. Don’t know if that is like that all yhe years and you now only hear of them, or that the Eurovision idea is brokken this year…

Curious about your opinions
Phocea

Post by Phocea »

I was just watching news on French TV, they talk most about the impact of Israel Palestine war in the contest (and the double standard feeling rising with what happend with Russia). For the Dutch exclusion, they just said there was an incident but no details
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Yesterday the news were that Netherlands act was just suspended from rehearsals and presenting it to grand jury, using a taped version instead, due to "an incident". No one knew what incident was but jumped to made a connection with the question made by a polish "reporter" to israeli singer.

Today the reports are that Netherlands are suspended after a production member presented charges against Klein into Swedish police, and Swedish DA is investigating the case. EBU also said that no member from another country is involved in the "incident".

Since this is a police case, we can now understand the secretism about it.

Eurovision has been living is a bubble with lots of issues, staying inside of the bubble. I think this being happening since the contest was hijacked.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

It's really unfair, the incident was really minor, no physical violence, no slur.

EBU has created a shitshow and it's not only about the Dutch DQ.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Switzerland great winner.
Croatia 2nd (people winner)
Ukraine 3rd
France 4th
Israel 5th with massive people voting
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

Firnen wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 19:30 It's really unfair, the incident was really minor, no physical violence, no slur.

EBU has created a shitshow and it's not only about the Dutch DQ.
How do you know what really happened?

From my point of view - If there wasn't physical contact, the disqualification was too harsh. If there was a physical contact, then the disqualification was justified. I didn't like the singer attitude towards the Israeli singer, but that's not a reason to disqualify him. I liked the Dutch song btw.

About the winning song, I don't really know what to think about it. It is ok, I guess... I wasn't impressed by the Croatian song, so from these two, I think that I'm preferring the swiss one.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

The juries saved the competition from an Israel fiasco by burying it.

The people who voted Israel did it for political reasons, ballads of this style don't get 300+ points and sweep Western Europe with 12s.

Happy about Switzerland, Croatia was also very good. Ukraine was also good but boosted by refugee+political voting.

The UK didn't deserve the meme 0 televote points, it was nowhere near that bad. And Norway didn't deserve last place, but the Nordic block voting wasn't there while the Balkan was (look at the Serbian and Slovenian points, where they came from).