What book are you reading?

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

ignjat63 wrote:Like Michael I am also reading a football book (actually I have just gotten it so I will be starting to read it on the morrow)

Inverting The Pyramid: The History of Soccer Tactics by Jonathan Wilson

Ah, I do like Wilson's books. If you enjoy that, which is very much his tactics geek-ery book, then he did a really good book about football in Eastern Europe. Behind the Curtain.
Executor

Post by Executor »

I like reading a lot. In recent years I've only read SF books/anthologies (like the one of Gardner Dozois) or occasionally historic short stories.

This month I've started Peter F. Hamilton's The Night's Dawn Trilogy and I reckon it will take a lot of months to finish as it comprises of 3 parts x 3 books each, so 9 books in total, each with ~600 pages (it was a birthday gift from my work colleagues :) )
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

I am only a light reader of fiction normally, used to be almost exclusively non-fiction, the last book I have completed was "The Luminaries" by Eleanor Catton that won the 2103 Man Booker Prize. Well over 800 pages it has a very complex plot and I believe that the BBC plan to make a serial out of it in the next year or so. The reason that I bought it was because I noticed that it was centered around a tiny New Zealand community that I had visited on a tour of the South Island so I thought that it might be interesting, it jumps about frequently in different timelines so it needs a little concentration.

Otherwise I like other travel themed books as I am keen on travel myself, and I have read all of the Michael Palin travelogues for example.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

SimonB wrote:I am only a light reader of fiction normally, used to be almost exclusively non-fiction, the last book I have completed was "The Luminaries" by Eleanor Catton that won the 2103 Man Booker Prize. Well over 800 pages it has a very complex plot and I believe that the BBC plan to make a serial out of it in the next year or so. The reason that I bought it was because I noticed that it was centered around a tiny New Zealand community that I had visited on a tour of the South Island so I thought that it might be interesting, it jumps about frequently in different timelines so it needs a little concentration.

Otherwise I like other travel themed books as I am keen on travel myself, and I have read all of the Michael Palin travelogues for example.
I also like Michael Palin, he is great, also Michael Portillo. I've watched their travel adventures on PBS, but Rick Steves is terrible. He thinks eating is the biggest adventure, what a bore.
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

bugylibicska wrote:
I also like Michael Palin, he is great, also Michael Portillo. I've watched their travel adventures on PBS, but Rick Steves is terrible. He thinks eating is the biggest adventure, what a bore.
Ditto regarding Michael Portillo although I didn't much care for him as a politician he is a good presenter. Haven't heard of Rick Steves before, maybe he is not available to watch where I am.

By the way, just caught up with one of the football threads from the other evening where I had logged off before your posting concerning the accident, so add my good wishes and hope your wife recovers swiftly.

Back to the football now...
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

SimonB wrote:
bugylibicska wrote:
Ditto regarding Michael Portillo although I didn't much care for him as a politician he is a good presenter. Haven't heard of Rick Steves before, maybe he is not available to watch where I am.

By the way, just caught up with one of the football threads from the other evening where I had logged off before your posting concerning the accident, so add my good wishes and hope your wife recovers swiftly.

Back to the football now...
Oh, thank you. Rick Steves is an American, thought he's British, too.
mj2017

Post by mj2017 »

I only read Archie pocket books.
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

bugylibicska wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 17:30
SimonB wrote:I am only a light reader of fiction normally, used to be almost exclusively non-fiction, the last book I have completed was "The Luminaries" by Eleanor Catton that won the 2103 Man Booker Prize. Well over 800 pages it has a very complex plot and I believe that the BBC plan to make a serial out of it in the next year or so. The reason that I bought it was because I noticed that it was centered around a tiny New Zealand community that I had visited on a tour of the South Island so I thought that it might be interesting, it jumps about frequently in different timelines so it needs a little concentration.

Just to revisit this topic after a long absence, and a bit later than I should have provided an update, given that "The Luminaries" is finally being shown and is now part of the way through a six-part serial on BBC1. It has already aired in New Zealand and I don't know when or if it will be available on other networks. It does follow the book quite well but not in the same time-frame order or perspective, it couldn't really it would have been baffling to audiences, and is not as good as the book, but still worth watching in my opinion.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Nearly finished with it, thoroughly enjoyed it and the second book arrived yesterday, The Falling Sword.

It has an unusual style, and I like it. The book focuses on a few specific people on each side, and each chapter is focused on one of them before jumping to another. The passage of time is rapid as well between visits to these characters, many months can go by before we see the same person again. The chapters are in the moment, and the time passes between chapters.
KyCoo

Post by KyCoo »

It's been so long since I logged in. How things have changed. I hope you're all safe and well. I'm not that big a reader, and the lockdown early this year convinced me that I had to make room for reading in my life. Thankfully some of my friends are serious readers, and they've helped me with recommendations and by lending some books. These past couple of weeks, however, I've been reading about data models and projections. I get statistics is an integral part of epidemiology, but I don't think statisticians who don't understand epidemiology get why data models often, if not always, give us wide ranges. I'm now reading about the z-score formula to understand how number crunching, epidemiology, and public health interact.

On the other hand, I'm hoping Liverpool beat Chelsea today, but I'm also conflicted because that would give Utd more of a chance for top 3. At least the title is done and dusted for us.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

I am looking for some (good) book about Valeriy Lobanovskyi since after a long research I could not find anything worth to buy. It must be in English and there is even one book on amazon available to buy, but after reading reviews I am not interested to buy it. Would be nice if author of the book is Ukrainian or Russian, but as I wrote, book should be in English. All books I found which are worth to read are written in Russian or Ukrainian and I don't speak these languages. Reading a book in English would be already a big challenge for me.

If anyone could help in this matter, I would be really grateful.

EDIT: I found a tool to search books in English and seems like that book available on amazon is the only one written in English and dedicated to
V. Lobanovskyi, unfortunately.