New Champions League at 2024 and on

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Overgame wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 13:27
Ambro wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:25
Overgame wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 02:38

"I don't see a parallel". I need to fix you comment "I don't want to see any parallel".
Football competitions involving hundred of teams, qualifying for a of 32 teams tournament with the top 2 qualifying for a cup-like tournament to win a title.
If you read my first post carefully, you would have noticed that I said: some might argue. My point was that, people who say: it's called Champions League, therefore it should be for the champions only, do have a point. Whether I agree with that or not is a different discussion. But you did jump very quickly to the conclusion that I am a strong believer of that which I found quite amusing.
They don't. And even if this had any merit, let's play along the "name matters" game: I think only Union Berlin and Braga never won any domestic title. How did I check? By reading wikipedia pages called 'List of <country> football champions"'. Hard to argue that Real Sociedad isn't a spanish champion, when they won the league in 81-82.
Now we are going for semantics?
So an European Championship shouldn't be called "European" if teams outside Europe take part? They are only UEFA members so should be only UEFA championship?
F1 championship doesn't have drivers from all around the world. Maybe there is a Samoan Verstappen. What about the US Baseball championship being called world series?

And on a more serious tone, how the heck there is a Kings League and King Charles (UK), Willem-Alexander (NED) or Filipe VI (ESP) aren't playing? Not even in the bench? That's ridiculous.
And I will tell you something, I don't think diet coke, helps my diet. Nor there is real coke inside. Outrageous!

But lets discuss how Real Madrid, Dortmund or Arsenal, aren't among best teams in Europe but Farul Constanţa, Valmieras FK or FC Ballkani.
And in case you did miss it, any of these last 3 teams played champions league this seson, them and all champions from UEFA (not europe!).
So its just "I finished the competition in 10th. Bravo. How many teams took part? well,...10." If you can't beat them your opponents, just get rid of them.
Overgame

Post by Overgame »

rpo.castro wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 19:56
Overgame wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 13:27
Ambro wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:25

If you read my first post carefully, you would have noticed that I said: some might argue. My point was that, people who say: it's called Champions League, therefore it should be for the champions only, do have a point. Whether I agree with that or not is a different discussion. But you did jump very quickly to the conclusion that I am a strong believer of that which I found quite amusing.
They don't. And even if this had any merit, let's play along the "name matters" game: I think only Union Berlin and Braga never won any domestic title. How did I check? By reading wikipedia pages called 'List of <country> football champions"'. Hard to argue that Real Sociedad isn't a spanish champion, when they won the league in 81-82.
Now we are going for semantics?
So an European Championship shouldn't be called "European" if teams outside Europe take part? They are only UEFA members so should be only UEFA championship?
F1 championship doesn't have drivers from all around the world. Maybe there is a Samoan Verstappen. What about the US Baseball championship being called world series?

And on a more serious tone, how the heck there is a Kings League and King Charles (UK), Willem-Alexander (NED) or Filipe VI (ESP) aren't playing? Not even in the bench? That's ridiculous.
And I will tell you something, I don't think diet coke, helps my diet. Nor there is real coke inside. Outrageous!

But lets discuss how Real Madrid, Dortmund or Arsenal, aren't among best teams in Europe but Farul Constanţa, Valmieras FK or FC Ballkani.
And in case you did miss it, any of these last 3 teams played champions league this seson, them and all champions from UEFA (not europe!).
So its just "I finished the competition in 10th. Bravo. How many teams took part? well,...10." If you can't beat them your opponents, just get rid of them.
I am not arguing semantics, I am toying this "argument":
Ambro wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:25 If you read my first post carefully, you would have noticed that I said: some might argue. My point was that, people who say: it's called Champions League, therefore it should be for the champions only, do have a point. Whether I agree with that or not is a different discussion. But you did jump very quickly to the conclusion that I am a strong believer of that which I found quite amusing.
Exactly like you right now :) You are pointing how ridiculous it is, I am pointing that even if it wasn't, if you go to the bottom it doesn't even hold.