New Champions League at 2024 and on

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
erdinc

New Champions League at 2024 and on

Post by erdinc »

A Turkish paper passed this news this morning referring to the Bild newspaper:
"Alexander Ceferin will explain the general status of the competitions at UEFA Congress at May 17 Budapest.
UCL will be League 1, UEL will be League 2 and UEL2 will be League 3.
Starting from 2024 League 1 will be played by 32 clubs - 4 groups with 8 clubs each.
2020-2024 performances will decide the participants. Max 5 clubs for one country. They will play 14 matches within the group.
Four group winners will proceed to Semi-Finals and the Final - both knock-out style.
The others will play to find out 4 clubs to relegate.
Top 24 clubs will play at League 1 next year again, no matter how they did in their national leagues.
8 clubs will get promoted to League 1 - 4 from League 2 and 4 from the national leagues.
League 2 will also play with 32 clubs and 4 semi finalists will get promoted to Ligue 1.
League 3 will have 64 clubs and the group winners will get promoted to League 2."

That was all in the news.
Lots of unknown information to speculate.
Prediction Game: 2010 FA - 2012 CL, Davis, Div 2, Intertoto
FEPG: 2009 Overall, League Cup, Div 2 - 2014 Nations, 2017 Nations, Div 2
Intertoto Cup: 2017 Predictions, 6 of 11 Cups
WC2014Q: Oceania
2013 Top 4 - Bottom 3: Portugal, Greece
Gorandinho

Post by Gorandinho »

I despise it already
sinanberksaglam

Post by sinanberksaglam »

Which news published this?
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

I think there'll be a drastic reduction in my enjoyment of this competition if it goes through. But at least the method of deciding the participants is probably the best it could be. If it's club coefficient for 2020-2024. However, if there's a hard limit of 5 teams from the same country per league, what happens to the rest? I can't imagine a big six PL team getting relegated, they've been bottom of a CL group before on rare occasions, thus would be bottom 8, but I can't see it happening over 14 games. So would five big six teams be in league 1 and the sixth be locked out of league 1 forever?
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

Lorric wrote:So would five big six teams be in league 1 and the sixth be locked out of league 1 forever?
I guess either the rule of maximum 5 is only for the start, or will be deleted later. Or in the rules some sort of rule will be listed for a default relegation of the worst of the 5 if another team is promoted, or some sort of play-off match.
How that would work if the 6th team is a winner of the QR's would be a question however.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

I've been thinking some more and it might not be so bad. I'll miss the qualifying rounds, but I expect I'll get to watch English teams play in those slots instead.

The problem is there'll be so many dead rubbers later on, and there won't even be coefficient points to make dead rubbers matter like they do now anymore.
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

If England has 5 teams in the CL in the first season, e.g. Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man United, and they all avoid relegation to EL, and the EPL that year is won by Chelsea, they will not have an opportunity to play in the CL because of the 5-team limit?
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

nogomet wrote:If England has 5 teams in the CL in the first season, e.g. Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man United, and they all avoid relegation to EL, and the EPL that year is won by Chelsea, they will not have an opportunity to play in the CL because of the 5-team limit?
Like I said, I guess there will be some rule to allow new teams in even if all 5 are not relegated. For example a default relegation of the worst of these 5 when a 6th team is promoted from EL or wins the CL-Q.
Or more likely they will let go of the maximum of 5 soon after it started. Hope not, but money rules. :(
JK

Post by JK »

It is not like even only the EL winner will get a spot in the CL.

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/11 ... 04/photo/1

All four semi finalists will get into the CL next year. It could be theoretically possible that 4 English teams are there with how the whole league system with promotions and relegations is set up, if there is not also some kind of maximum rule for teams of the same nation in the EL, too. So just image there are 5 teams among the best 24 CL teams and we have 4 English teams in the EL semis. Will they really force nearly all of the previous CL clubs to go down? I just can't imagine that. Those will be the biggest English clubs and the whole point of this whole new setup is, that the biggest teams will always be in the CL without any kind of real risk of ever not playing in the CL anymore.

So I also have my doubts it will remain at a maximum of 5 teams. They would just have to force English and Spanish teams among the best 24 CL teams to go down all the time. Both nations are just too dominant and I don't see it changing. With a regular big income some of the teams in Germany behind Bayern might also get more steady and the same for Italy. The whole current top 4 countries might run into the maximum of 5 teams per nation problem about who will get that CL spot and who not.
Last edited by JK on Sun May 12, 2019 01:29, edited 2 times in total.
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

Well, I indeed can't imagine that 4 out of 5 would be forced to relegate. But 1 is an option, and then if there are more clubs from that country that are promoted, only the best of these is allowed to promote.
vkgz

Post by vkgz »

intereting...may be good...
21/5000
Why expected 2024
Pete Wisdom

Post by Pete Wisdom »

I like it, because not being interested in international club football anymore will save me quite a lot of time for more rewarding stuff.
vkgz

Post by vkgz »

participants should be determined according to local league rankings
Overgame

Post by Overgame »

vkgz wrote:participants should be determined according to local league rankings
Sure, your FA should abolish the top national league and only use a competition for your best regional teams.
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

Overgame wrote:
vkgz wrote:participants should be determined according to local league rankings
Sure, your FA should abolish the top national league and only use a competition for your best regional teams.
I think that was just a translation error. I think vkgz meant to say national league rankings and not local league rankings.