Greek Football Season 19/20

Domestic league and cup football
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

Firnen wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 21:10 Aris who had no players on the bench except for the GK (0-0).
Mad.How is this team expected to play in Europe? They could be a really good draw for some unseeded teams (i assume they are seeded but i may be wrong).
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Bulgarian wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 01:44
Firnen wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 21:10 Aris who had no players on the bench except for the GK (0-0).
Mad.How is this team expected to play in Europe? They could be a really good draw for some unseeded teams (i assume they are seeded but i may be wrong).
Nope, Aris will be unseeded.
Also, this situation is because they are under a double transfer (and contract renewal) ban. The 1st transfer ban will be delayed until their CAS appeal is tried. They claim that the 2nd will be solved in August by achieving deals with the players to which they owe money from before they changed "tax ID" when they got relegated to the 3rd division. If this happens they will be able to make transfers and be prepared for when the FIFA transfer ban is finally enforced (they do not have real chances in CAS, they went there simply to get the postponement).
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Greek Cup Final heading to..postponement, since the Police told them what they should already know, that the chosen stadium of Rizoupoli (home ground of Apollon Smyrni) is not safe enough. Now they do not have time to reschedule it and there are scenarios that it will be played in the end of August.

All this could have been avoided if the Federation had chosen a suitable stadium, but some "circles" wanted a small stadium with bad pitch conditions...

Edit : 30/8 it is. Obviously the teams will play with the new season rosters.
shineB4
Location: spaceship somewhere in some kind of suspended animation

Post by shineB4 »

Greek Cup final postponed after gasoline bombs discovered
ball_web
TAGS:Soccer, Crime

The Greek Cup final has been postponed because of fears of organized fan violence after police found gasoline bombs and wooden bats hidden near the stadium where the match was scheduled to take place.

AEK Athens and Olympiakos were to meet in the final on Sunday at Georgios Kamaras Stadium in northern Athens. But the Greek soccer federation postponed the match and said a new date and possible new venue would be found.

On Monday, police announced the discovery of 18 gasoline bombs and 12 large wooden bats hidden in a park near the stadium.

Soccer games in Greece have been held without fans since the lockdown was lifted last month. [AP]
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Aris transfer ban lifted, the owner reached a settlemnt with the players to whom the old "tax number" of the club owed money to, and Aris can make transfers normally.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Damir Canadi returns to Atromitos, so Atromitos will be a contender for European ticket next year.
og2002gr

Post by og2002gr »

Firnen wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 14:11 Damir Canadi returns to Atromitos, so Atromitos will be a contender for European ticket next year.
Maybe it is time to open the new season's thread?

I opened this one with my wondering how Lucescu left a successful PAOK for an exotic destination. He answered this afterwards (problems with the club owners and not the money).

Now I am wondering the opposite: how Rapids idol/captain Stefan Schwab is leaving a successful team for declining PAOK?
fewer spots :arrow: weaker leagues :arrow: fewer spots :arrow: weaker leagues :arrow: fewer spots :arrow: weaker leagues

http://kassiesa.net/uefa/forum2/viewtop ... 52#p359852
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

og2002gr wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 20:24
Firnen wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 14:11 Damir Canadi returns to Atromitos, so Atromitos will be a contender for European ticket next year.
Maybe it is time to open the new season's thread?

I opened this one with my wondering how Lucescu left a successful PAOK for an exotic destination. He answered this afterwards (problems with the club owners and not the money).

Now I am wondering the opposite: how Rapids idol/captain Stefan Schwab is leaving a successful team for declining PAOK?
From what I have read, money. PAOK is giving him 400.000 per year, Rapid was way lower.
Funkmaster

Post by Funkmaster »

The reason is money. Covid-19 hit Rapid hard, the club is dependent on the money from spectators, no wonder when you have nearly 20000 spectators every game. Schwab was a very important player for Rapid, but the club didn‘t want and wasn‘t able to pay him more, because he wont become better in the future
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Funkmaster wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 20:33 The reason is money. Covid-19 hit Rapid hard, the club is dependent on the money from spectators, no wonder when you have nearly 20000 spectators every game. Schwab was a very important player for Rapid, but the club didn‘t want and wasn‘t able to pay him more, because he wont become better in the future
What are his traits? I have read that he is quite threatening and creative but very slow, is it true?
Also , what is Rapid's level overall? Having Fountas as top scorer makes me doubt how good they really are.
Funkmaster

Post by Funkmaster »

Firnen wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 20:36
Funkmaster wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 20:33 The reason is money. Covid-19 hit Rapid hard, the club is dependent on the money from spectators, no wonder when you have nearly 20000 spectators every game. Schwab was a very important player for Rapid, but the club didn‘t want and wasn‘t able to pay him more, because he wont become better in the future
What are his traits? I have read that he is quite threatening and creative but very slow, is it true?
Also , what is Rapid's level overall? Having Fountas as top scorer makes me doubt how good they really are.
He scores a lot of goals and assists for a mitfielder. During his six years at Rapid he scored 51 goals and 51 assists in 241 games. He is very "physical" as well but he is also definitely (very) slow and sometimes need a lot of time to think and play the right passes.

Schwab´s dream was always to play in Italy sometimes in his career. He stated that in several interviews, his wife is italian and he speaks italian fluently. He has/had an offer from Lecce, but he won`t go to Serie B. So he has to wait if they get relegated or not and it looks like if Lecce gets relegated he will go to PAOK, his "Plan-B". But I have no doubt that he would become a regular very soon at PAOK and he would fit into a league with quite a similar strength of Austrian Bundesliga very well.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Funkmaster wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:07
Firnen wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 20:36
He scores a lot of goals and assists for a mitfielder. During his six years at Rapid he scored 51 goals and 51 assists in 241 games. He is very "physical" as well but he is also definitely (very) slow and sometimes need a lot of time to think and play the right passes.

Schwab´s dream was always to play in Italy sometimes in his career. He stated that in several interviews, his wife is italian and he speaks italian fluently. He has/had an offer from Lecce, but he won`t go to Serie B. So he has to wait if they get relegated or not and it looks like if Lecce gets relegated he will go to PAOK, his "Plan-B". But I have no doubt that he would become a regular very soon at PAOK and he would fit into a league with quite a similar strength of Austrian Bundesliga very well.
Given that Mauricio is probably leaving, I think he was bought for his place. I am surprised though that PAOK opted again for a slow player, I think this was a weakness of their CMs this year.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

The Cup Final is postponed AGAIN because Maxi Lovera of Olympiacos has covid.

This Final is a monument to the Federation's total incapability to act like a Federation and not a bunch of uneducated villagers that happened to find a well-paid position.
seso

Post by seso »

The Greek Cup final (AEK vs Oly) will be played on 12 September.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

The 19/20 season ended today with Olympiacos winning the double, after taking down AEK 1-0 in the Cup Final.

AEK can feel quite lucky that the score was only 1-0, with (usually cynical) El Arabi wasting a penalty and 2 one-on-ones.

The Federation tried to cause disturbance and "weird conditions" once again by handing invitations to the criminal-mayor of Volos Beos and a bunch of hooligans, but luckily the state intervened and under the pretext of coronavirus healthy measures did not allow them in the stadium after all.