Battles for important ranking positions

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

quelhar wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 09:53
dnina10 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 23:47
Lubomir25 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 22:40

There's a high chance Scotland will fall down the rankings this year then. We really needed 3 in the GS and the "seeded" cup winners have to play NC drop outs from the Champions league. The system is a joke, they should make it an open draw.
I wouldn't panic too much yet. As I was telling quelhar earlier, this is the type of system that'll screw you over at some point and at another point be to your benefit, so don't panic yet. Adding Hibs win the cup, they're in Q3. They've had a wonderful season, and with the right draw, would definitely stand a chance. Aberdeen got screwed as well resulting from this, but not a whole lot changes for them
I am absolutely looking forward to the epic battle Jablonec - Hibernian in EL Q3 which will finally settle the eternal question which league is better, Czech or Scottish, and in the process also determine which of these clubs will play group stage of european cups :o)
I can honestly say nobody in Scotland is asking that question or cares about who's league is stronger. The only thing that matters is where we are in the coefficient table at the end of each season.
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

Lubomir25 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:06

I wouldn't panic too much yet. As I was telling quelhar earlier, this is the type of system that'll screw you over at some point and at another point be to your benefit, so don't panic yet. Adding Hibs win the cup, they're in Q3. They've had a wonderful season, and with the right draw, would definitely stand a chance. Aberdeen got screwed as well resulting from this, but not a whole lot changes for them
I am absolutely looking forward to the epic battle Jablonec - Hibernian in EL Q3 which will finally settle the eternal question which league is better, Czech or Scottish, and in the process also determine which of these clubs will play group stage of european cups :o)
I can honestly say nobody in Scotland is asking that question or cares about who's league is stronger. The only thing that matters is where we are in the coefficient table at the end of each season.
And it's actually very obvious that teams from 3rd and below in Scotland would be mid-table in Czech Republic at best... One 2-leg match won't change it.
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

If Scotland does not enter the group with the third club next season, Scotland has a great opportunity in the 2022/23 and 2023/24 seasons when their third club will surely play in the EL. It is important that this club is strengthened before the season itself, in order to earn as much money and better coefficients in EL as possible. :D
wannabeontop

Post by wannabeontop »

Having 3 teams in GS is really asking for it though. Maybe 1 can go to ECL.
In Game of Thrones conquerors always say to the defeated side: "Bend the knee and you''ll live". As if they weren't alive right now.

I'm smarter than it shows. Just don't want to discourage anyone.
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

wannabeontop wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 08:22

What are you on about? The old firm only need to win one tie to make a group stage and until recently we thought our CW were guaranteed group football. That's 18 chances to pick points up. So who's "asking for it?"
wannabeontop

Post by wannabeontop »

Lubomir25 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 23:32
wannabeontop wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 08:22

What are you on about? The old firm only need to win one tie to make a group stage and until recently we thought our CW were guaranteed group football. That's 18 chances to pick points up. So who's "asking for it?"
Okay.
In Game of Thrones conquerors always say to the defeated side: "Bend the knee and you''ll live". As if they weren't alive right now.

I'm smarter than it shows. Just don't want to discourage anyone.
Jamie222

Post by Jamie222 »

Denmark really should get 4 teams in GS next season.
Brondby (CLQ4) and Randers (ELQ4) are safe.

Midtjylland enter CLQ2, will likely face Sparta Praha or Celtic.
If they loose, they will face either Anorthosis Famagusta, St. Johnstone or Jablonec in ELQ3. Should get the win there.

Copenhagen ECLQ2 - seeded to GS.
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

Jamie222 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 22:46 Midtjylland enter CLQ2, will likely face Sparta Praha or Celtic.
If they loose, they will face either Anorthosis Famagusta, St. Johnstone or Jablonec in ELQ3. Should get the win there.
Or Luzern (if Manchester United wins the EL).
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

Of course, "just" two games in the last week--at least we had teams from two countries win points :arrow:

1. England------------3/7 = .428
2. Spain--------------1/7 = .142

England ends the season with a record 24.357 points--Chapeau :exclamation:
Spain finishes the season almost five points back, with 19.500.
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Andorra overtakes Estonia from the 1st match of the season !

Estonia is now 2nd to last, above only San Marino !
seso

Post by seso »

Iceland must improve this season in Europe otherwise they will drop even further! Their last two seasons were terrible, San Marino-level.
FrancoisD

Post by FrancoisD »

I propose we start a new thread for the 2021-2022 edition of the Battles for ranking positions. The details of which positions are important in the new format are buried in the middle of this thread, and could make interesting "first thread message" of a new thread. What do you think ?
Pirovatis

Post by Pirovatis »

Agreed.

As an alternative the first post in this thread could be updated.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Switzerland approaching Belgium - Belgium has 4 clubs but 1 of them will collect very few points (Club Brugge).

Israel with good results getting them closer to the top 20.

Mirrored results for Portugal and France.

Austria gets a point, Ukraine gets a point, Russia doesn't in the 8-11 fight.
Dragan Mance

Post by Dragan Mance »

Extremely imporant win for Young Boys.

Unfortunately for Serbia, no way they will be last in group now.