Battles for important ranking positions

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

og2002gr wrote:That's not so easy.
Many teams can reach top15 when they have only 4 teams and easy points in the first QR.

But it gets more difficult to fight with #12 leagues who start with 2-3 teams already in GS.
Scotland will have to put unseeded Aberdeen in GS through many rounds just neutralize Lugano, Jablonec, Wolfsberger etc
It depends how far the Old Firm go, back in the mid to late 00s Scotland were top 9-12 with only the odd season where another team helped out
og2002gr

Post by og2002gr »

Ι guess this isn't so easy anymore.
Current access list gives many direct EL GS spots to top12.
fewer spots :arrow: weaker leagues :arrow: fewer spots :arrow: weaker leagues :arrow: fewer spots :arrow: weaker leagues

http://kassiesa.net/uefa/forum2/viewtop ... 52#p359852
Funkmaster

Post by Funkmaster »

Lubomir25 wrote:
Many teams can reach top15 when they have only 4 teams and easy points in the first QR.

But it gets more difficult to fight with #12 leagues who start with 2-3 teams already in GS.
Scotland will have to put unseeded Aberdeen in GS through many rounds just neutralize Lugano, Jablonec, Wolfsberger etc
It depends how far the Old Firm go, back in the mid to late 00s Scotland were top 9-12 with only the odd season where another team helped out
Celtic would need to improve a lot to make Scotland a top12/15 contender. Now they are far below clubs like Ajax, PSV, Salzburg or Olympiakos. Rangers would need to improve also, they didn‘t look that good last season in GS.

Many countries have the potential to join top15 for 1-2 seasons. But it takes more to stay there. When you look back the past 5 years 13 of the 15 countries in the top15 stayed the same.
There were only 2 changes: 3 years ago Austria replaced Romania in top15 and this year Croatia Switzerland. Coincidence? I think not. Top15 stays pretty much the same.
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

Funkmaster wrote:
Lubomir25 wrote:

Celtic would need to improve a lot to make Scotland a top12/15 contender. Now they are far below clubs like Ajax, PSV, Salzburg or Olympiakos. Rangers would need to improve also, they didn‘t look good last season in GS.

Many countries have the potential to join top15 for 1-2 seasons. But it takes more to stay there. When you look back the past 5 years 13 of the 15 countries in the top15 stayed the same.
There were only 2 changes: 3 years ago Austria replaced Romania in top15 and this year Croatia Switzerland. Coincidence? I think not. Top15 stays pretty much the same.
I disagree with your observation all those teams are miles ahead., AEK were the greek champions least year, and they deserved to knock Celtic out but there was not a lot in it. I would also fancy Celtics chances against the swiss champions Young boys - Basel just knocked PSV out.

Ajax and Salzburg are clearly better teams by a lot more than PSV and Olympiacios.

I am aware how good teams need to be to stay top 12 - Scotland spent a long time there.

Rangers are improving year on year and with that push Celtic will as well - unlike Austria i think you will see in the next few years both the Old Firm will reguarly play in the knock out stages of Europe again
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

EarlofBug wrote:Scotland and Hungary have (temporarily) the best Country Coefficients for this season :applause: :D
Not really. Scotland is #1, but Hungary is still only #6 currently.
wannabeontop

Post by wannabeontop »

nogomet wrote:
EarlofBug wrote:Scotland and Hungary have (temporarily) the best Country Coefficients for this season :applause: :D
He means among countries that actually played games this season so far (and not just 1 like Germany).
In Game of Thrones conquerors always say to the defeated side: "Bend the knee and you''ll live". As if they weren't alive right now.

I'm smarter than it shows. Just don't want to discourage anyone.
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

wannabeontop wrote:
nogomet wrote:
He means among countries that actually played games this season so far (and not just 1 like Germany).
I'm pretty sure he meant the overall ranking including all 55 associations, because if you exclude top countries, Scotland and Hungary were #1 and #2 last week also. Nothing changed last night from that perspective.
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

nogomet wrote:
wannabeontop wrote:
nogomet wrote: Not really. Scotland is #1, but Hungary is still only #6 currently.
I'm pretty sure he meant the overall ranking including all 55 associations, because if you exclude top countries, Scotland and Hungary were #1 and #2 last week also. Nothing changed last night from that perspective.
I thought that Hungary went to the 2nd place after yesterday matches. I rushed, sorry for the wrong calculation.
wannabeontop

Post by wannabeontop »

With a draw? :D
In Game of Thrones conquerors always say to the defeated side: "Bend the knee and you''ll live". As if they weren't alive right now.

I'm smarter than it shows. Just don't want to discourage anyone.
V Yo-Yo

Post by V Yo-Yo »

Scotland is quickly catching up, I am interested to see how far they can go this season. A repeat of last season would be a success in my opinion.
Ginaro

Post by Ginaro »

Scotland really needs two clubs in either group stage to match last season's score. Though Celtic in the UEL group stage would at least replace the 4.000 that dropped off the total. And even if we don't get to 15-17th this season, we only lose 3.000 next season so we'll start in a higher position.

A lot will depend on Monday's draw - Celtic will be looking to avoid Young Boys, Rangers and Aberdeen need to avoid the strongest teams (assuming they all get through of course).
Last edited by Ginaro on Wed Jul 31, 2019 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
nikola_belgrade

Post by nikola_belgrade »

Serbia lost too many points in early rounds - Radnicki Nis against Flora, Red Star against Suduva and Helsinki.

Now only way to give some kind of fight would be to put both - Red Star and Partizan - into GS.

But in reality our league is closer to 20th position, it's hard to fight for 15th without constantly having two clubs with a lot of points. Though, Croatia with Dinamo is maybe exception.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

nikola_belgrade wrote:Serbia lost too many points in early rounds - Radnicki Nis against Flora, Red Star against Suduva and Helsinki.

Now only way to give some kind of fight would be to put both - Red Star and Partizan - into GS.

But in reality our league is closer to 20th position, it's hard to fight for 15th without constantly having two clubs with a lot of points. Though, Croatia with Dinamo is maybe exception.
Croatia has the same clubs in Europe EVERY year, which results in them getting seeded status in many rounds.
Kerberos

Post by Kerberos »

nikola_belgrade wrote:Serbia lost too many points in early rounds - Radnicki Nis against Flora, Red Star against Suduva and Helsinki.

Denmark has not had 2 teams for some years now.
F.C. Copenhagen
amenina

Post by amenina »

The battle for the bottom four places (52-55) are over, which means the four associations playing in the 2021-22 UCL preliminary round will be:
Kosovo, Faroe Islands, Andorra, San Marino

For reference, here are the associations playing in the UCL PR since the new format has been introduced:
2018-19 (last season): Gibraltar, Andorra, San Marino, Kosovo (host: Gibraltar; won by: Kosovo)
2019-20 (this season): Gibraltar, Andorra, San Marino, Kosovo (host: Kosovo; won by: Kosovo)
2020-21 (next season): Northern Ireland, Kosovo, Andorra, San Marino (host: TBD; won by: TBD)
2021-22 (two seasons later): Kosovo, Faroe Islands, Andorra, San Marino (host: TBD; won by: TBD)