Current FIFA Ranking

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Korgutt

Post by Korgutt »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 18:46
Korgutt wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 18:41 Is it possible to say something about the relations between Nations League Overall Ranking and joining A group of four or five?
Not sure what you mean?
The context between the place in Nations League Overall Ranking and joining a group of four or five in FIFA World Cup qualification. For example 17-20(group winners in League B) will join a group of four or five.
Do you understand me?
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

Korgutt wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 18:50
Korgutt wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 18:41 Is it possible to say something about the relations between Nations League Overall Ranking and joining A group of four or five?
Not sure what you mean?
The context between the place in Nations League Overall Ranking and joining a group of four or five in FIFA World Cup qualification. For example 17-20(group winners in League B) will join a group of four or five.
Do you understand me?
No.
NL ranking has nothing to do with what kind of group you go into save for the 4 NL finalists go into foursomes!
Korgutt

Post by Korgutt »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 18:56

Not sure what you mean?
Do you understand me?
No.
NL ranking has nothing to do with what kind of group you go into save for the 4 NL finalists go into foursomes!
I have read that the group winners and the runners up in League A will play quarterfinals in march. And semifinals/finals in june. Will all 8 nations join a group of 4?
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

Korgutt wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 19:00
Jackson Harrison wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 18:56

Do you understand me?
No.
I have read that the group winners and the runners up in League A will play quarterfinals in march. And semifinals/finals in june. Will all 8 nations join a group of 4?
Correct.

No, that isn't possible a the number of groups of 4 is 5 (or 6 if Russia is still barred)
amenina

Post by amenina »

@Korgutt We have had this discussions before when UEFA announced the new structure of their qualifiers (for both Euro and World Cup). So here are the main points that we covered.

1. For the four UNL semi-finalists, because they have to play matches in both the March and June windows, they cannot play more than 6 matches in the qualifier group stage, so they must be placed into groups of 4 teams.

2. For all other teams, including teams which lost in the League A quarter-finals and teams which play in the promotion/relegation play-offs, they do not have matches in June, so they can be placed into groups of 4 or 5 teams.

3. The number of groups with 4 teams will depend on the number of teams involved in the qualifiers. If all 55 teams play the qualifiers, there will be 7 groups of 5 teams and 5 groups of 4 teams. If Russia are banned, then we will have 6 groups of 5 teams and 6 groups of 4 teams.

4. Since there will be at least 4 groups with 4 teams, the UNL semi-finalists can be placed in separate groups (if necessary) with 4 teams.

5. However, there will be fewer than 8 groups with 4 teams, so we cannot place all UNCL quarter-finalists in separate groups (if necessary) with 4 teams.

6. Since the qualifiers start in March, at the same time as the UNL quarter-finalists, the draw for the qualifiers must be held before we know the identity of the UNL semi-finalists. This creates difficulty in that how will UEFA place the 4 UNL semi-finalists into groups with 4 teams without knowing who they are?

7. A potential solution is to place all 8 UNL quarter-finalists in Pot 1. And during the draw, instead of drawing the exact teams into each group, they are drawn as "Quarter-final 1-4 winners" and "Quarter-final 1-4 losers". The QF winners are drawn into Groups 1-4 with only 4 teams, while the QF losers are drawn into other groups with either 4 or 5 teams. Then after the QFs, the teams are then placed into the groups depending on whether they win or lose in the QF.

8. However, traditionally, the seedings for UEFA WCQ draws have always followed FIFA rankings. The proposal above means that the seeding do not align completely with FIFA rankings. Can UEFA use another formula other than FIFA rankings for their seeding? Note that UEFA use the UNL rankings for their Euro qualifiers seeding. Of course, UEFA, if approved by FIFA, can use a mixture of UNL rankings and FIFA rankings for their seeding. For example, the 8 UNL quarter-finalists are guaranteed to be in Pot 1 regardless of their FIFA rankings, while all other teams are still seeded based on their FIFA rankings.

9. There are other possible proposals. For example, if a UNL semi-finalist was drawn into a 5-team group, then they are switched with another team from the same pot in a 4-team group. There may be other proposals.

10. For more details, you can visit this thread: viewtopic.php?t=5995

Hope this helps!
Last edited by amenina on Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
Tazmania

Post by Tazmania »

Thanks for the clarification.

Incidentally, FIFA approved the 2026 WCQ regulations in June but has not yet published them; they should contain the answer to this question!
Ed

Post by Ed »

Given the notorious lack of any detail in those WCQ-regulations, other than "the seeding in draws for WCQ shall be based on the FIFA ranking", I wouldn't set my hopes too high for a clear answer :smile1:
wannabeontop

Post by wannabeontop »

When is the draw for the next NL anyway? And so the 2nd placed teams get into the QFs now? If I'm not mistaken there were no QFs in the last NL.
In Game of Thrones conquerors always say to the defeated side: "Bend the knee and you''ll live". As if they weren't alive right now.

I'm smarter than it shows. Just don't want to discourage anyone.
amenina

Post by amenina »

wannabeontop wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:19 When is the draw for the next NL anyway? And so the 2nd placed teams get into the QFs now? If I'm not mistaken there were no QFs in the last NL.
There will be an “expansion” of UNL from 2024/25: https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/ ... d-from-20/

We don’t know the date of the draw. It should be some time early 2024.
Tazmania

Post by Tazmania »

Ed wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 09:13 Given the notorious lack of any detail in those WCQ-regulations, other than "the seeding in draws for WCQ shall be based on the FIFA ranking", I wouldn't set my hopes too high for a clear answer :smile1:
Talk of the devil!

Published today.

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/18d857c3e ... ion_EN.pdf

Regulation 11: Preliminary draw, format of play and group formation
amenina

Post by amenina »

Tazmania wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 14:07
Ed wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 09:13 Given the notorious lack of any detail in those WCQ-regulations, other than "the seeding in draws for WCQ shall be based on the FIFA ranking", I wouldn't set my hopes too high for a clear answer :smile1:
Talk of the devil!

Published today.

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/18d857c3e ... ion_EN.pdf

Regulation 11: Preliminary draw, format of play and group formation
"Any seeding based on team performance for each confederation’s preliminary competition shall, in principle, be based on the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking. Only the FIFA Organising Committee may approve exceptions to these criteria for the preliminary competition."

So, as expected, the confederation must use FIFA rankings for seeding, except in cases where FIFA approved that another method is used.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Now we know why they have to have 12 qualifying groups. Because 12 teams from League A will be engaged in March.

They'll do something with the draw to ensure that the 5 team groups do not contain any other teams playing playoffs in March.
amenina

Post by amenina »

amenina wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:26
wannabeontop wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:19 When is the draw for the next NL anyway? And so the 2nd placed teams get into the QFs now? If I'm not mistaken there were no QFs in the last NL.
There will be an “expansion” of UNL from 2024/25: https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/ ... d-from-20/

We don’t know the date of the draw. It should be some time early 2024.
The UEFA Executive Committee decided to relocate the 2024 UEFA Congress from Madrid to Paris on 8 February 2024. The 2024/25 UEFA Nations League group stage draw will also be moved to the French capital city on the same day.
Korgutt

Post by Korgutt »

When will the ranking for october come? This week?
Dniprovec

Post by Dniprovec »

Korgutt wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 15:01 When will the ranking for october come? This week?
26th of October. They have the schedule here: https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking

For the live ranking I am using: https://football-ranking.com/fifa-rankings