UEFA CCC decides to scrap away goals rule

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
bert.kassies

UEFA CCC decides to scrap away goals rule

Post by bert.kassies »

Tweet from Martyn Ziegler (Times reporter)

NEW: UEFA clubs competitions committee decides to scrap away goals rule in European football. Now needs ExCo approval.

https://twitter.com/martynziegler/statu ... 2445180928
UEFA European Cup Football for all UEFA coefficients and rankings
Phocea

Post by Phocea »

UEFA ability to kill what made the appeal of their competitions is beyond me.

EDIT : On extra time, I can discuss that. IN a whole, I think it's stupid. Teams in away matches don't have the "enticement" of the away goal rule anymore, they would just park the bus.
Last edited by Phocea on Fri May 28, 2021 20:46, edited 2 times in total.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

bert.kassies wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 20:15 Tweet from Martyn Ziegler (Times reporter)

NEW: UEFA clubs competitions committee decides to scrap away goals rule in European football. Now needs ExCo approval.

https://twitter.com/martynziegler/statu ... 2445180928
Finally something that makes sense. :applause:
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

I sincerely hope they don't scrap it
matt

Post by matt »

First reaction: i like this decision.
International break hater
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

We went through this back in--I think--2005, when we thought the away goals rule had been scrapped, at the very least for overtime goals. We were waiting for Sporting's "EL" overtime to start when we found out that Sporting had already won on away goals. So I guess we'll see what the powers that be do this time :exclamation:
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

I hope they don't scrap it. If they do, it gives a clear cut advantage to the home team in the second leg.
tourist24

Post by tourist24 »

Do the ExCo ever overrule on decisions like this? I presume they just rubber stamp it.

Not a fan of this tbh.
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

This is stupid. Its clearly harder to score away than home. Not a fan of this in the slightest.
Lilywhite

Post by Lilywhite »

Why?! Away goals has produced some of the most dramatic moments ever as a fan. It's the only way you can go from losing to winning with a single goal. Absolutely awful decision.
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

Such a bad idea. Hopefully, the rule change can still be avoided. The away goals rule create more dynamism and excitement in knock-out football. A common way of measuring drama and excitement is how much a team's winning percentage can change during a match. With the away goals rule, one goal towards the end can often move a team's chance to advance by a lot, say from 5% to 95%. Without the away goals rule, it will at most be 5% to 50% changes. Also, if the change were to happen, we will get several more extra times and penalties. And for me, normally the thirty minutes of extra time are played at a lower quality than the first 90 minutes, so I'm not exactly a fan of more extra times either.
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

Diouf wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 21:12 Such a bad idea. Hopefully, the rule change can still be avoided. The away goals rule create more dynamism and excitement in knock-out football. A common way of measuring drama and excitement is how much a team's winning percentage can change during a match. With the away goals rule, one goal towards the end can often move a team's chance to advance by a lot, say from 5% to 95%. Without the away goals rule, it will at most be 5% to 50% changes. Also, if the change were to happen, we will get several more extra times and penalties. And for me, normally the thirty minutes of extra time are played at a lower quality than the first 90 minutes, so I'm not exactly a fan of more extra times either.
I pretty much share the same thoughts as to here. The only thing I wouldnt mind is if they scrap away goals in ET. That'd be fine. Outside of that, the system is not broken so why fix it?
quelhar

Post by quelhar »

I see it as another small step towards pleasing the strongest clubs so they do not leave. I would guess that there will be measurably less underdog stories than with the away goal rule and if anything I look forward whether someone here on this forum will be able to prove it in a long run.
SK Slavia Praha fan
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Is it being introduced in favour of Juventus or what? :upset:
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

I would introduce a rule where each 15 minutes, one player is removed from each team, and then they play until there is a winner.
No team could ever play for a draw this way, and in practice the matches won't be longer than today.