Draft in European Football

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.
EarlofBug

Draft in European Football

Post by EarlofBug »

One of the best commentators in the sports channel in Israel, called Avi Muller, who is a true Anglophil and one of the most knowledgable commentators in Israel, suggested that it will be a good thing for European football, to have players be draft, like in the NBA.

What do you think? How can it be done?
It corresponds with our topic about money and equality in European football teams :)
DumoKing

Post by DumoKing »

I have a hard time seeing it work, the draft system works because of the closed league structure, and the agreement between the clubs involved. On the other hand, being picked in a draft is not the same as being signed. So let’s say premier league was closed, and the 20 clubs get 10 picks each per season to select players in the 19-20 year old age span? They protect themselves from bidding wars between themselves, but would still have to follow fifa regulations when signing players, so no real decrease of transfer fees would be expected. Also, one of the key factors of the draft is to even out the strength of the teams, but if Brentford would get to pick a star youth player, he would most likely not signed for them as he would get better options in other leagues.

The only place with potential for this would be a European super league.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Rules for closed leagues hardly apply to open leagues competing against other leagues.

Financial fair play could be a good thing if really used without those loopholes (city, psg).
Other things could be to put a limit on squad changes from one season to next one. Could, but I am not sure it would.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

You'd destroy the academy system in one blow. Where is the incentive for clubs to develop their own players to play football their way or to make them money if they're just going to get scooped up into a draft?
Wachtwoord

Post by Wachtwoord »

Lorric wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 16:28 You'd destroy the academy system in one blow. Where is the incentive for clubs to develop their own players to play football their way or to make them money if they're just going to get scooped up into a draft?
This. Draft is a hard no. If that happens I'm done with the sport.
seso

Post by seso »

I like draft during European and world football! :beer: