Seeding for UEFA Club Competitions 2022/23

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

Sagy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 16:58 Team from Ukraine and Belarus not being drawn against each other

Teams being separated due to political issues is not new. Banning games in Belarus (where there is no active fighting) is new (at least I don’t remember a similar ban). Not allowing fans in all games that they host is new for sure. If the games are outside Belarus, I’m not clear what is the reason for the ban. If the issue is safety (players or fans) it will exist in the away games as well.

Looks like UEFA is really taking a stand this time. Give them a+ for that.

In reality, I think that only BATE Borisov will advance to a round with a. Ukrainian team and it is likely that do to seeding they will not be able to face each other anyway.
And to further add to this point:

"The UEFA Executive Committee will remain on standby to convene further meetings to reassess the legal and factual situation as it evolves and adopt further decisions as necessary."

This sounds like there could still remain a possibility that the Belorussian teams could be kicked out before the competition starts, or even during the qualifying rounds.

"On 3 March 2022, the UEFA Executive Committee had already decided, that since the invasion of the Ukrainian territory by the Russian army had been facilitated by access given from the neighbouring territory of Belarus, no UEFA competition match shall be played on the territory of Belarus until further notice and no spectators shall attend matches in which the teams from Belarus features as host."

After reading this, it really surprises me that UEFA did not suspend Belaurs as well. This gives me the impression that Belarus is aiding and abetting Russia, so since the latter got banned, why not the former?
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

Ludogorets already played last year against Soligorsk in Serbia. And the year before that against Brest also in Serbia but i am not sure about this one.So no home games for belarussian clubs is not new.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

dnina10 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 17:23
After reading this, it really surprises me that UEFA did not suspend Belaurs as well. This gives me the impression that Belarus is aiding and abetting Russia, so since the latter got banned, why not the former?
They're probably banking on Belarussian clubs to get eliminated quickly (like last year) either way - and I think that's exactly what's going to happen. I also wouldn't be surprised if they are placed in sub-groups with mostly clubs from non-EU/allied countries as potential opponents (Serbia, Bosnia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Israel, Georgia).
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

Firnen wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 18:43
They're probably banking on Belarussian clubs to get eliminated quickly (like last year) either way - and I think that's exactly what's going to happen. I also wouldn't be surprised if they are placed in sub-groups with mostly clubs from non-EU/allied countries as potential opponents (Serbia, Bosnia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Israel, Georgia).
That makes sense. Then again, assuming that they will all just get eliminated quickly spells disaster
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

dnina10 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 18:44
Firnen wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 18:43
That makes sense. Then again, assuming that they will all just get eliminated quickly spells disaster
Some referees could always help with that.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

The Uefa stand is wider as the club competitions. They haven’t banned the national teams like they did with the Russian national teams. There has been fighting in ‘European’ territories for decades and it didn’t lead to banning like Russian ban now, so this ban is really to punish the aggressor and to avoid further bans when possible. I think I agree with that, let’s meet in sport even if we don’t agree in politics. Sporting rules should be held firmly and so the sporting match can take place. Maybe somebody learns from it. Life is also just a game, the only problem is that the rules are not as strict and no referee to uphold rules agreed by the parties.
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

Only strange thing is that the "home"matches of the Belarus teams will have to be played without fans. This way you also punish the fans of their opponents that can't visit an away game. Why don't they just allow fans for free or give the revenue to a charity for Ukrainian refugees.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Forza AZ wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:44 Only strange thing is that the "home"matches of the Belarus teams will have to be played without fans. This way you also punish the fans of their opponents that can't visit an away game. Why don't they just allow fans for free or give the revenue to a charity for Ukrainian refugees.
Because the Belarussian clubs would be legally entitled to parts of the ticket income as it would be their home match, and obviously the goal is to deprive them of this income.
UCL_Lover

Post by UCL_Lover »

bert.kassies wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 09:14
UCL_Lover wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 08:24
bert.kassies wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 21:02 Annex D.6 of the regulations explicitly mentions the Champions League, Champions Cup, Europa League, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners’ Cup for title points in the 10-year revenue club coefficient calculation. The Europa Conference League is not listed.
I guess they will include it (ECL) in the regulations of the new season.
It's not in the 2022/23 ECL regulations.
I had checked the May 1 version, but did not notice that it was for 2022/23 season, because I had looked for 2021/22 one and when I went to may I supposed it was just an update.

ECL could have been included IMO. Even by giving less points. I can't understand why it is out.
A good football player plays where the ball is. A great football player plays where the ball is going to be.
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

@Bert

One EL-Q3 dropout will surely enter the ECL-PO draw with a coefficient of at least 24.500, which means Fiorentina is unseeded in ECL-PO.
Dennino

Post by Dennino »

@dnina10 are you expecting to update this spreadsheet again? As it seems its not working anymore and I am really interested to keep track of the potential pot 1 seed for Feyenoord in the EL. But then pretty much all of the seeded teams have to come through.
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

Dennino wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 14:29 @dnina10 are you expecting to update this spreadsheet again? As it seems its not working anymore and I am really interested to keep track of the potential pot 1 seed for Feyenoord in the EL. But then pretty much all of the seeded teams have to come through.
Yeah I'm considering doing so when the GS clubs are known
GuyFromCroatia

Post by GuyFromCroatia »

Dennino wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 14:29 I am really interested to keep track of the potential pot 1 seed for Feyenoord in the EL. But then pretty much all of the seeded teams have to come through.
Dinamo Zagreb
Crvena zvezda
Copenhagen
Benfica
Glasgow Rangers
Dynamo Kyiv
Olympiacos

If Feyenoord want to be in Pot 1, maximum two of this seven teams may enter EL GS.
Dennino

Post by Dennino »

GuyFromCroatia wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 23:41
Dennino wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 14:29 I am really interested to keep track of the potential pot 1 seed for Feyenoord in the EL. But then pretty much all of the seeded teams have to come through.
Dinamo Zagreb
Crvena zvezda
Copenhagen
Benfica
Glasgow Rangers
Dynamo Kyiv
Olympiacos

If Feyenoord want to be in Pot 1, maximum two of this seven teams may enter EL GS.
Thank you, I figured that out as well. Would be nice to have an up to date running spreadsheet again somewhere. Yesterday shocking 0-4 defeat from Olympiacos was totally not what I expected...Hopefully they will disappoint in the EL qualis as well.
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »