UEFA Euro 2024

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
kleber

Post by kleber »

:wink1:
Lorric wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 13:14
kleber wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 13:11 Can Ukraine qualify trough league of nations?
If two of Israel/Bosnia and Herzegovina/Serbia/Scotland/Finland qualify, they'll make the playoffs.
Well all of them have good chances to finnish in top 2.
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

kleber wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 13:11 Can Ukraine qualify trough league of nations?
They will almost surely will be in the PO.
In principal if everything goes according to rankings, the top 27 teams other than Germany get at least a PO place.
Now if a team below that qualify directly, they take the place of the 28th ranked team and so forth.
So we can expect 27th-25th to be the cutoff, which means Ukraine is in, but they might be in League A PO since they are not group winners.
wannabeontop

Post by wannabeontop »

Todor wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 19:39 You have to qualify first :).
Right.
In Game of Thrones conquerors always say to the defeated side: "Bend the knee and you''ll live". As if they weren't alive right now.

I'm smarter than it shows. Just don't want to discourage anyone.
Teymur

Post by Teymur »

Estonia in the play-off. :up:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Will Germany put an end to this streak on home soil?

amenina

Post by amenina »

Michael O'Neill: Former manager to return as Northern Ireland boss

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63876441
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

amenina wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 03:22 Michael O'Neill: Former manager to return as Northern Ireland boss

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63876441
Yes, I'd meant to post this. If he can get the team back to the level they were at with him in charge, they could qualify from this group!
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Southgate will stay on for Euro 2024. I'm reading all the people angry that he wasn't sacked and here's me disappointed he didn't get a contract extension and wondering if his heart isn't fully in it because of that. I hope it is. Regardless, it isn't necessary to extend his contract now, and if he does badly then it will probably be a good thing. His contract runs until December 2024, so there's still plenty of time to decide whether to extend it after the Euros. You could even wait until the end of the group stage of the next Nations League, which his contract should cover. Failing to win our group would be a serious black mark against him. Or maybe we do really well in our hard qualifying group and it gets extended then. That group does have me concerned, but I feel much better about it after the World Cup. Anyway, I'll be happy as long as he's in it wholeheartedly, there is prudence in not extending the contract right now, the Nations League relegation and the 0-4 home loss to Hungary did happen.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Why would you extend Southgate contract? He is there since 2016? 8 years is way too long, people get bored and lacking motivation. He has done an ok job (winning to weaker teams, losing to stronger) and thats why such long contract.
I think NT coaches shouldnt be there more then a cycle of 4 years.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

rpo.castro wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 14:01 Why would you extend Southgate contract? He is there since 2016? 8 years is way too long, people get bored and lacking motivation. He has done an ok job (winning to weaker teams, losing to stronger) and thats why such long contract.
The players play for him. I could go into far greater detail, but that's what it boils down to in a nutshell. And also there isn't anyone who jumps out at me as the guy to take over. As long as Southgate is motivated, he should stay short of doing awful. We've still had one of the best records of any National team in the World over the period of his tenure. Outside of trophy winning teams (and I do think we've still been better than Italy, we lost on a tie break in a final and they failed to qualify for both World Cups) and Croatia, we've probably been the best.

Why put an arbitrary limit on it? France might be about to win the World Cup with the same guy they won it with last time. Would you then sack him?
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Lorric wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 14:11
rpo.castro wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 14:01 Why would you extend Southgate contract? He is there since 2016? 8 years is way too long, people get bored and lacking motivation. He has done an ok job (winning to weaker teams, losing to stronger) and thats why such long contract.
The players play for him. I could go into far greater detail, but that's what it boils down to in a nutshell. And also there isn't anyone who jumps out at me as the guy to take over. As long as Southgate is motivated, he should stay short of doing awful. We've still had one of the best records of any National team in the World over the period of his tenure. Outside of trophy winning teams (and I do think we've still been better than Italy, we lost on a tie break in a final and they failed to qualify for both World Cups) and Croatia, we've probably been the best.

Why put an arbitrary limit on it? France might be about to win the World Cup with the same guy they won it with last time. Would you then sack him?
I would make just 4 years contracts not more. So I wouldn't have sacked because he wasn't here. Like Santos should have gone right after winning Euro 2016.

I never saw anything special about England. Even in the Euro they played it at home in the soft side (no france, spain, belgium etc). Just Ukraine, denmark and the terrible Germany. Like I said, good job winning to weaker teams.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

rpo.castro wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 15:07
Lorric wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 14:11

I would make just 4 years contracts not more. So I wouldn't have sacked because he wasn't here. Like Santos should have gone right after winning Euro 2016.

I never saw anything special about England. Even in the Euro they played it at home in the soft side (no france, spain, belgium etc). Just Ukraine, denmark and the terrible Germany. Like I said, good job winning to weaker teams.
It doesn't make sense. Why split up a winning team?

It is becoming harder to win against these "weaker" teams though, as recent tournaments have shown. If the "stronger" teams were so good, England would not be able to go through a path of "weaker" teams like this because the "stronger" teams would have taken them out. So it becomes more meritorious than it used to be for England to beat them, while others increasingly fail to do so.
Dniprovec

Post by Dniprovec »

Simulation based on Elo ratings following WC for Euro 2024 qualification, 20 000 runs.

Malta, Andorra, San Marino and Lichtenstein aren't making the table as they are less than 1 in 20 000 chance to qualify, 0 chance of making it into play-offs.
Last edited by Dniprovec on Tue Dec 20, 2022 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
matt

Post by matt »

It's already time to start thinking at EURO 2024, the next big tournament, just one year and half away, due to the winter World Cup.
I just had a look at the qualifying groups to refresh my memory and my simple conclusion is: better take the 2023 qualifiers seriously (far from a formality in such a group with such a messy Italy), because i want to visit Germany in summer 2024.
International break hater
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

Dniprovec wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 22:42 Simulation based on Elo ratings following WC for Euro 2024 qualification, 20 000 runs.

Malta, Andorra, San Marino and Lichtenstein aren't making the table as they are less than 1 in 20 000 chance to qualify, 0 chance of making it into play-offs.
Did you add 100 points for the home team in each match? Also did you implement all the PO rules?
I just find it weird that Israel gets only about 20% of winning the playoff if they play it, since they are guaranteed to be first seed.