UEFA Seeding & Qualification based on ClubElo Values - Updates & Feedback

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
Stadion

Post by Stadion »

Ed wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 09:31 Stadion, you will probably need some logic like this to automate that securely:
- keep track of the complete actual ranking of each league
- keep track in that ranking which teams are still active in the cup (at any given moment during the season)
- search for the highest ranked team still active in the cup
- if that team is ranked in the CL-places of the association: the first non-CL team in the ranking fills the CW-spot and shift down all other EL and ECL positions 1 spot
- if that team is ranked in the EL- or ECL-places of the association: the found team fills the CW-spot and shift down all other EL and/or ECL positions 1 spot
- otherwise: the found team fills the CW-spot and no further changes needed

You will probably need some 'help' tables to completely automate the shifting process with formulas in Excel.
If needed I can provide my working sheets/formulas to you as an example. I won't share them publicly.
Hi Ed,

Actually, all the steps above are already automated apart from the one that I've bolded -- because I haven't found a reliable way of automating it!
Stadion

Post by Stadion »

In other news, ClubElo simulation tables are back since the Czech teams are back on ClubElo.com.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Stadion wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 13:06
Ed wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 09:31 Stadion, you will probably need some logic like this to automate that securely:
- keep track of the complete actual ranking of each league
- keep track in that ranking which teams are still active in the cup (at any given moment during the season)
- search for the highest ranked team still active in the cup
- if that team is ranked in the CL-places of the association: the first non-CL team in the ranking fills the CW-spot and shift down all other EL and ECL positions 1 spot
- if that team is ranked in the EL- or ECL-places of the association: the found team fills the CW-spot and shift down all other EL and/or ECL positions 1 spot
- otherwise: the found team fills the CW-spot and no further changes needed

You will probably need some 'help' tables to completely automate the shifting process with formulas in Excel.
If needed I can provide my working sheets/formulas to you as an example. I won't share them publicly.
Hi Ed,

Actually, all the steps above are already automated apart from the one that I've bolded -- because I haven't found a reliable way of automating it!
Heh, that's actually the only step I do manually, because there are only a few match dates for cup-football in a season so that's not a biggie.

But I thought the problem was in the automatically shifting of teams to other EL and ECL positions dependent on where the highest ranked active Cup-participant is exactly ranked in the league ?
Stadion

Post by Stadion »

Ed wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 14:12 But I thought the problem was in the automatically shifting of teams to other EL and ECL positions dependent on where the highest ranked active Cup-participant is exactly ranked in the league ?
This should be a pretty simple implementation -- what I'm 'struggling' with is just keeping track of all the domestic cups, what teams are left -- and even in some recent cases: who's won. :dontknow:
Stadion

Post by Stadion »

Question on teams taking over the coefficient of the club they've eliminated:

Does this apply to teams who get eliminated from NCQ2 to ELQ3 as well?
eye

Post by eye »

Stadion wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 15:10 Question on teams taking over the coefficient of the club they've eliminated:

Does this apply to teams who get eliminated from NCQ2 to ELQ3 as well?
I don't think so because it is not needed. At ELQ3 seeded are the cup winners that enter at this round and unseeded the clubs that were eliminated from CL-q2. The coefficient of the eliminated clubs is not affecting the draw
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

I have another small request - on the ClubElo simulations, is it possible to put the ClubElo of the teams in the GS too instead of their coefficients?
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

Or in addition for all rounds, that would be another cool option.
Stadion

Post by Stadion »

amirbachar wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 16:18 I have another small request - on the ClubElo simulations, is it possible to put the ClubElo of the teams in the GS too instead of their coefficients?
Certainly possible -- have avoided it up until now for space saving reasons. Will have a think about it!
Stadion

Post by Stadion »

Stadion wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 09:11I've also added a new tab showing an overview of how many group stage spots each league is guaranteed, and forecasted to have (based on progression by seeding). This can be useful for those who want to start getting a sense of how many points each of the leagues might be collecting this year.

Link here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 7&range=B1
I've updated the table in this tab to also show the total number of participating teams from each NA, as well as the % of teams that are guaranteed vs forecasted to make it to the group stages. Again, this will help when getting a sense of how this will be translating into country coefficient performance.
Diouf

Post by Diouf »

From Montenegro it should be Buducnost Podgorica with coefficient 7.000 instead of FK Podgorica with 1.000
Stadion

Post by Stadion »

Diouf wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 21:39 From Montenegro it should be Buducnost Podgorica with coefficient 7.000 instead of FK Podgorica with 1.000
Thank you -- it was actually the right team, but it has the wrong coefficient against it (due to Soccerway changing naming conventions between seasons :nono: )
Stadion

Post by Stadion »

Update:

With the first two rounds drawn for CL and ECL, the ClubElo simulation now draws the winner of each actual pairing based on ClubElo value for these rounds. I will aim to keep updating this as the rounds are played, and more rounds are drawn.
elkjiaer is back

Post by elkjiaer is back »

I have simulated the outcome of all qualifiers for UCL , UEL and ECL. Those are the probabilities to qualify for the Group stage of the 3 competitions for all teams entering UCL qualifiers either Champions Path or League Path. Let me know if you have any comment

https://imgur.com/a/xMUAZw5
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

elkjiaer is back wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 15:18 I have simulated the outcome of all qualifiers for UCL , UEL and ECL. Those are the probabilities to qualify for the Group stage of the 3 competitions for all teams entering UCL qualifiers either Champions Path or League Path. Let me know if you have any comment

https://imgur.com/a/xMUAZw5
Interesting numbers, are these simulations based on a combination of current elo plus likely seeding outcomes, or have you used any different logic?