Russia would get 4.333 Points for 2022-23!

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Lorric wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 00:34 I wonder if they were hoping UEFA would ask them not to leave when teasing the move to AFC.
That was their intention but a bluff did not work. They are aware that an interest among Russian fans in watching international club competitions vs clubs from Asia would be very low :arrow: would not bring much money, so they prefer waiting. I hope they will wait as long as possible and I wouldn't mind if level of their league will drop significantly in the meantime or some clubs collapse completely.
Philipp22

Post by Philipp22 »

Does anybody know how the average attendance in the Russian League has developed since they were banned from UEFA and many foreign players left the country?
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

So mainly financial reasons kept them in UEFA. I guess sanctions do work in this area. If only they had more influence politically to stop the war....
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Philipp22 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:31 Does anybody know how the average attendance in the Russian League has developed since they were banned from UEFA and many foreign players left the country?
Assuming that we trust Wikipedia:

Average attendance:

2018/19 - 16 817
2019/20 - 13 644
2020/21 - 8 239
2021/22 - 7 439
2022/23 - 10 541 (correct as of 13 November 2022)
krdel

Post by krdel »

Attendance stayed more or less the same. 2018/19 was a boom becaue of the home world cup and new stadiums.
UEFA - We care about money. Pravda za Kolubaru!
anty1975

Post by anty1975 »

Greyn wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 13:40 Assuming that we trust Wikipedia:

Average attendance:

2018/19 - 16 817
2019/20 - 13 644
2020/21 - 8 239
2021/22 - 7 439
Attendances are pitiful everywhere except Zenit home matches (36200 people on average watch Zenit on Gazprom arena)
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

anty1975 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:37
Greyn wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 13:40 Assuming that we trust Wikipedia:

Average attendance:

2018/19 - 16 817
2019/20 - 13 644
2020/21 - 8 239
2021/22 - 7 439
Attendances are pitiful everywhere except Zenit home matches (36200 people on average watch Zenit on Gazprom arena)
Do you know if Zenit club board made some changes regarding ticket prices/distribution? Are the prices much lower or some part of ticket pool goes for free to schools for example.
anty1975

Post by anty1975 »

Greyn wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:05 Attendances are pitiful everywhere except Zenit home matches (36200 people on average watch Zenit on Gazprom arena)
Do you know if Zenit club board made some changes regarding ticket prices/distribution? Are the prices much lower or some part of ticket pool goes for free to schools for example.
[/quote]
Tickets are rather cheap, 500-1000 rubles I think and you can buy a season pass (all matches) for something like 7000 rubles (its less than €100). But they are even cheaper in other stadiums. Zenit's advantages are better stadium, better service in the stadium and of course better football. They are pet project of Gazprom and even in the current climate kept all their South American stars.
Last edited by anty1975 on Wed Jan 04, 2023 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

anty1975 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:29
Tickets are rather cheap, 500-1000 rubles I think and you can buy a season pass (all matches) for someting like 7000 rubles (its less than €100). But they are even cheaper in other stadiums. Zenit's advantages are better stadium, better service in the stadium and of course better football. They are pet project of Gazprom and even in the current climate kept all their South American stars.
Thanks for the info. I thought that they tried to do some "tricks" to keep high attendance in order to make an impression that interest in watching matches is still the same. I guess that interest will drop constantly anyway in watching a league without European spots. Currently at stake are only a championship title and avoiding relegation.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Greyn wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:47
Tickets are rather cheap, 500-1000 rubles I think and you can buy a season pass (all matches) for someting like 7000 rubles (its less than €100). But they are even cheaper in other stadiums. Zenit's advantages are better stadium, better service in the stadium and of course better football. They are pet project of Gazprom and even in the current climate kept all their South American stars.
Thanks for the info. I thought that they tried to do some "tricks" to keep high attendance in order to make an impression that interest in watching matches is still the same. I guess that interest will drop constantly anyway in watching a league without European spots. Currently at stake are only a championship title and avoiding relegation.
Its still their national championship so they will keep watching. If they were through a peak due high performance like around 2006-2012 I think, when Russian League had good players, strong NT, Zenit won Europa League (CSKA won 3 or 4 years before), CSKA made to UCL QF, then you should have higher attendances due to that.

When russian government (through its companies) stopped injecting money in russian clubs and their quality dropped, those perfomanced-attracted fans were gone same way they have arrived, so since a few years Russia PL is in its baseline. Having more foreing players or less, having UEFA spots or no, won't make such impact like it would do if they were in a peak.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

rpo.castro wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 17:54
Greyn wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:47
Its still their national championship so they will keep watching. If they were through a peak due high performance like around 2006-2012 I think, when Russian League had good players, strong NT, Zenit won Europa League (CSKA won 3 or 4 years before), CSKA made to UCL QF, then you should have higher attendances due to that.

When russian government (through its companies) stopped injecting money in russian clubs and their quality dropped, those perfomanced-attracted fans were gone same way they have arrived, so since a few years Russia PL is in its baseline. Having more foreing players or less, having UEFA spots or no, won't make such impact like it would do if they were in a peak.
I agree that quality of football in the league is an important factor, but I also think that without European spots the interest among people will be decreasing. That's because it means more dead matches without anything to play for, particularly in the 2nd part of the season. Secondly, in Poland European matches are a cherry at the cake for fans and I guess same applies for Russia. The race for the UEFA spots is almost as important as the race for championship title and brings almost equal emotions for the fans.

Russian cup was not too prestigious before the ban, often not taken seriously by big clubs and now there is not even a European spot for the winner. Here I also expect a decreasing attendance.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Greyn wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 04:28 I agree that quality of football in the league is an important factor, but I also think that without European spots the interest among people will be decreasing. That's because it means more dead matches without anything to play for, particularly in the 2nd part of the season. Secondly, in Poland European matches are a cherry at the cake for fans and I guess same applies for Russia. The race for the UEFA spots is almost as important as the race for championship title and brings almost equal emotions for the fans.

Russian cup was not too prestigious before the ban, often not taken seriously by big clubs and now there is not even a European spot for the winner. Here I also expect a decreasing attendance.
You had national championships and cus before european cups.
You had them when you had 2 or 3 teams qualifying.
Its not the end of the world and like I said, RPL is already running on baseline fumes.

Dead rubbers?
the vast majority of the clubs in the world are fighting for nothing (not just in football). Amateur clubs. At best they fight to exist. And they keep running. Should they quit just because they are fighting for nothing?
I don't understand this "if we are not winning, its not worth"
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

rpo.castro wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:55
Greyn wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 04:28 I agree that quality of football in the league is an important factor, but I also think that without European spots the interest among people will be decreasing. That's because it means more dead matches without anything to play for, particularly in the 2nd part of the season. Secondly, in Poland European matches are a cherry at the cake for fans and I guess same applies for Russia. The race for the UEFA spots is almost as important as the race for championship title and brings almost equal emotions for the fans.

Its not the end of the world and like I said, RPL is already running on baseline fumes.

Dead rubbers?
the vast majority of the clubs in the world are fighting for nothing (not just in football). Amateur clubs. At best they fight to exist. And they keep running. Should they quit just because they are fighting for nothing?
The expectations from the fans differ depending on the club they support. People who support clubs like Spartak, CSKA, Dinamo, Lokomotiv, Krasnodar or Rubin are used to emotions with fighting for the UEFA spots. Fans of the clubs which usually play in the 2nd tier don't have these expectations, so it does not have an impact on the attendance. In theory every club should fight for the win in each game, but the reality at the top level, like Russian PL, is obviously completely different. Motivated teams achieve better results against unmotivated teams more often than usually. People also like watching matches with a lot at stake, it is simply much more interesting if you play to finish 4th in the league and qualify for the European football, than just playing to finish 4th in the league and that's all.
krdel

Post by krdel »

rpo.castro wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:55

Dead rubbers?
Of course, like football was played for nothing before the introduction of UEFA Cup.

For amateur clubs even promoting from fifth to fourth division can mean a lot. You always play for something in tho long run even in the lowest possible division, that is why football is so interesting.
UEFA - We care about money. Pravda za Kolubaru!
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

There is one thing that could change and provide increase in interest: that this could be a chance to change the power balance in this league now the top clubs aren't getting pumped up with European cash and their foreign guys have had to leave. There might not be European places, but you don't want to fall out of those places as you might not be able to get back into them if and when Russia returns to the fold.