Spreadsheet for European Cups - Feedback & Suggestions

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
TommyChat

Post by TommyChat »

I have a conspiracy theory that UEFA have made regulations open to interpretation on purpose to decide after a scenario actually happens what they'll do.
matt

Post by matt »

They should clarify it as soon as possible. The season is almost finished 🙄
I find unprofessional that they didn't clarify it beforehand.
International break hater
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Afanas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 20:20 What happens to the CL rebalancing if:
1. Dortmund wins the CL.
2. Dortmund finishes 5th in Bundesliga.
3. Germany finishes in the top 2 yearly ranking and wins an extra CL spot.

Will the rebalance go on exactly as if the CL winner has already a CL league phase spot? Or there will be a sixth CL spot for Germany? Or something else?
Bundesliga could have six teams in next Champions League

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer ... 242c&ei=58
TommyChat

Post by TommyChat »

bugylibicska wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 04:15
1. Dortmund wins the CL.

Will the rebalance go on exactly as if the CL winner has already a CL league phase spot? Or there will be a sixth CL spot for Germany? Or something else?

It's not sure that it will happen, it's a big possibility based on how the regulations are written but it's open to interpretation and probably we will know for sure only if actually a team wins CL/EL and finish 5th on a top 4 league that is top 2 in EPS.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

TommyChat wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 04:52
1. Dortmund wins the CL.

It's not sure that it will happen, it's a big possibility based on how the regulations are written but it's open to interpretation and probably we will know for sure only if actually a team wins CL/EL and finish 5th on a top 4 league that is top 2 in EPS.
"the ruling body UEFA confirmed on Wednesday." it says in the link.
TommyChat

Post by TommyChat »

In the scenario that Roma finishes 5th in Serie A and is in the Europa League final (OK, EL final is before last MD but anyway) I would root for them if it meant that Italian 6th will qualify for CL but against them if it didn't since... I don't like Roma that much :confused:
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

Sagy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 00:18
1. Dortmund wins the CL.

There has been discussion on such a possibility and it’s open to interpretation. As I read it, in this scenario, Germany will have 6 teams in UCL.
And in that scenario the TH rebalancing in the champions path would not apply? The best ranked champion would NOT qualify directly to CL league phase?
eye

Post by eye »

nogomet wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 08:37
1. Dortmund wins the CL.

There has been discussion on such a possibility and it’s open to interpretation. As I read it, in this scenario, Germany will have 6 teams in UCL.
And in that scenario the TH rebalancing in the champions path would not apply? The best ranked champion would NOT qualify directly to CL league phase?
The EPS is allocated to the club that finishes the relevant association's domestic championship in the highest position of all those that do not qualify for the league phase of the UEFA Champions League via the domestic championship (after any vacancies have been filled in accordance with Paragraph 3.04 to Paragraph 3.06).

This is part of regulations that is referring to the EPS. As it is written I understand that it is Dortmund that should get the EPS (if they remaing 5th in Germany) but if they win CL it is unclear what will happen since EPS are awarding after the end of rebalancing and Dortmunt is already at LP as CL-W. In my view we should have TH rebalancing again in such cases but since nothing is mentioned at the regulations probably it is a backdoor for UEFA to give access to one more club from top league to CL. Although it seems insane to me that 6th club of a league can qualify to CL if CL-W finishes 5th in league but if CL-W finishes 4th in league the 6th club will take part at EL
Partizan_Belgrad

Post by Partizan_Belgrad »

TommyChat wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 00:30 I have a conspiracy theory that UEFA have made regulations open to interpretation on purpose to decide after a scenario actually happens what they'll do.
Fully agree!!! :goodpost:
JPV

Post by JPV »

@eye could it be there is something wrong with your Access List 2024/2025 ? Belgium got a crossed out CW spot, but there's no mention where this one is going to.
Stadion

Post by Stadion »

Hi @eye, I noticed that your access list has changed to now have 30 clubs in CLQ1. What is the reason for this?

EDIT: I only just now realised that Benfica is somehow in CLPO as well. Perhaps something has broken in the spreadsheet.
eye

Post by eye »

JPV wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 06:34 @eye could it be there is something wrong with your Access List 2024/2025 ? Belgium got a crossed out CW spot, but there's no mention where this one is going to.
Belgium CW is crossed because currently the spot belongs to Club Brugge which is considered to be the ECL-W. The spot currently goes to CW of Norway
eye

Post by eye »

Stadion wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 06:41 Hi @eye, I noticed that your access list has changed to now have 30 clubs in CLQ1. What is the reason for this?

EDIT: I only just now realised that Benfica is somehow in CLPO as well. Perhaps something has broken in the spreadsheet.
This was a bug concerning EPS spots but it is fixed now
perica

Post by perica »

1. Dortmund wins the CL.

I think they are wrong. If dortmund finishes 5th and germany takes one out of two performance spots, then borussia will qualify as regular german participant. The access list will already be shifted. Winning champions league will not promote other team to champions league, just like the cases if bayern wins champions league and/or leverkusen wins europa league
TommyChat

Post by TommyChat »

eye wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:20
nogomet wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 08:37

The EPS is allocated to the club that finishes the relevant association's domestic championship in the highest position of all those that do not qualify for the league phase of the UEFA Champions League via the domestic championship (after any vacancies have been filled in accordance with Paragraph 3.04 to Paragraph 3.06).

This is part of regulations that is referring to the EPS. As it is written I understand that it is Dortmund that should get the EPS (if they remaing 5th in Germany) but if they win CL it is unclear what will happen since EPS are awarding after the end of rebalancing and Dortmunt is already at LP as CL-W. In my view we should have TH rebalancing again in such cases but since nothing is mentioned at the regulations probably it is a backdoor for UEFA to give access to one more club from top league to CL. Although it seems insane to me that 6th club of a league can qualify to CL if CL-W finishes 5th in league but if CL-W finishes 4th in league the 6th club will take part at EL
In top 4 leagues we know that:
If CL-W finishes in top 4, the league has 4 CL participants without EPS and 5 with EPS.
If CL-W finishes 6th or lower, the league has 5 CL participants without EPS and 6 with EPS.

We also know that in the following case:
NA 14 has the champion with the highest ranking in CL qualifiers and CLTH is not used.
This NA somehow gets top 2 in EPS.
The runner up gets to league stage as well even if they use the minimum coefficient for their NA.
It makes sense since this NA should have one more league stage spot with EPS compared to without EPS and this is why EPS is used after rebalncing.

So for the debate:
If CL-W finishes 5th, the league has 5 CL participants without EPS, so shouldn't it has 6 with EPS?