2022/23 UEFA Youth League

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 09:51
mspm89 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 01:42 Congratulations AZ, together with Ajax, my favorite Dutch team. A great accomplishment, hopefully they can build on this to send the senior side to the Champions League again.
Ajax? Why do they deserve congratulations? AZ won not them!
The sentence should've read: "Congratulations, AZ: together with Ajax, my favorite Dutch team."

Punctuation aside, I thought you were a native speaker. You shouldn't have had a problem understanding the context.
amenina

Post by amenina »

Lorric wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 21:55 I won't make a new thread for it, so I'll post here. Yet again in England, Manchester City have won the Northern Premier League, and a team which won't take a CL place in the senior game, West Ham, have won the Southern Premier League. So once again, I'll be rooting against City, who are going for their 4th straight title, in the final, so we can get a team on the Champions Path. West Ham would be especially nice I think after how much I've enjoyed their senior team in Europe these last two seasons. Hopefully both West Ham teams will be in Europe next season! :smile1:
The thread for the 2023/24 UYL has been created: viewtopic.php?t=6050
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

amenina wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 22:54
But it is interesting that both UWCL semi-finals second legs are not played on the weekend (Saturday and Sunday) as originally scheduled. One is played on Thursday and the other played on Monday, and both start quite early at 18:45 CET (17:45 BST for the Arsenal match). I think both Barcelona and Arsenal scheduled at a date and time that they think can get maximum crowds for support. But that is probably a topic for another thread....
Monday is a national holiday in England, as it is in much of Europe, so it is effectively still like a weekend with many people not having to take time off to see the match.
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

Last edited by Club-Mate on Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:12, edited 2 times in total.
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

mspm89 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 23:24
Jackson Harrison wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 09:51
mspm89 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 01:42 Congratulations AZ, together with Ajax, my favorite Dutch team. A great accomplishment, hopefully they can build on this to send the senior side to the Champions League again.
Ajax? Why do they deserve congratulations? AZ won not them!
The sentence should've read: "Congratulations, AZ: together with Ajax, my favorite Dutch team."

Punctuation aside, I thought you were a native speaker. You shouldn't have had a problem understanding the context.
I am but I didn't know what you meant! Team should be plural in that context!
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 13:58 I am but I didn't know what you meant! Team should be plural in that context!
Are you sure? I'm willing to be corrected and improve my English, but wouldn't that be a concordance error? In Spanish, it is.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

mspm89 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 16:19
Jackson Harrison wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 13:58 I am but I didn't know what you meant! Team should be plural in that context!
Are you sure? I'm willing to be corrected and improve my English, but wouldn't that be a concordance error? In Spanish, it is.
I understood you, but if you mean both of them are your favourite Dutch teams, then yes, teams would be correct.

That being said, I don't know 100% if some English language rulebook would back me up, but I wouldn't have thought twice about saying teams, and team came off as odd. I think I can get where it comes from on your end, as you started off referring to one team, and kept referring to one after mentioning the other.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Lorric wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 18:38
mspm89 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 16:19
I understood you, but if you mean both of them are your favourite Dutch teams, then yes, teams would be correct.

That being said, I don't know 100% if some English language rulebook would back me up, but I wouldn't have thought twice about saying teams, and team came off as odd. I think I can get where it comes from on your end, as you started off referring to one team, and kept referring to one after mentioning the other.
If two native speakers agree on this, then it's Occam's razor for me!
Just another difference between English and Spanish grammar. Though it's a tricky one. The kind that could appear on a GMAT exercise, LOL.
Last edited by mspm89 on Fri Apr 28, 2023 03:13, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Harrison

SimonB wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:24
amenina wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 22:54
But it is interesting that both UWCL semi-finals second legs are not played on the weekend (Saturday and Sunday) as originally scheduled. One is played on Thursday and the other played on Monday, and both start quite early at 18:45 CET (17:45 BST for the Arsenal match). I think both Barcelona and Arsenal scheduled at a date and time that they think can get maximum crowds for support. But that is probably a topic for another thread....
Monday is a national holiday in England, as it is in much of Europe, so it is effectively still like a weekend with many people not having to take time off to see the match.
No it isn't it's my busiest day of the week! I sense sarcasm!
Jackson Harrison

Club-Mate wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:35 Image
Interesting!