2022/23 UEFA Youth League

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

matt wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 20:07 If UEFA want to promote the YL, don't put the final on a Monday at 18:00 CET :sigh:
I thought the same!

Saturday night would be better!

Same with UWCL final why 18:00 not 21:00 like men!
matt

Post by matt »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 20:08
matt wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 20:07 If UEFA want to promote the YL, don't put the final on a Monday at 18:00 CET :sigh:
I thought the same!

I wouldn't follow this competition anyway tbh (maybe the final if scheduled decently), but i think there's room to do more in order to attract interest.
International break hater
Jackson Harrison

matt wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 20:13
I thought the same!

I wouldn't follow this competition anyway tbh (maybe the final if scheduled decently), but i think there's room to do more in order to attract interest.
I follow it but the final is the only match I usually watch! Nice to see the President there today! He usually sends Fermando Gomes!
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 20:58 Nice to see the President there today! He usually sends Fermando Gomes!
The president is a lifelong fan of Hajduk Split. That's why he ordered to move the Final 4 to a proper stadium instead of being held at the Nyon training centre.
Jackson Harrison

nogomet wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 21:33
Jackson Harrison wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 20:58 Nice to see the President there today! He usually sends Fermando Gomes!
The president is a lifelong fan of Hajduk Split. That's why he ordered to move the Final 4 to a proper stadium instead of being held at the Nyon training centre.
Is he really? Thought he was Slovenian?
amenina

Post by amenina »

I thought the same!

But there are a lot of league matches on Saturday night, so the attention of the football fans will be diverted.

Also, if the match is played on Saturday or Sunday, it will coincide with the senior league matches of AZ and Hajduk, so it may not be convenient for fans to travel.

And for UWCL, my understanding is that 21:00 is actually too late for family viewers such as children, so unless the match is utmost importance, some people will go to bed early and decide to miss it.
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 21:58
He is. Slovenian football was not very represented in the top flight of the federal Yugoslav league back when Ceferin was a kid and started following football. So people from Slovenia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Montenegro supported clubs from other parts of the country - Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina - that had the highest number of clubs in the federal league. Hajduk Split was extremely successful during the 1970s (Ceferin's formative years) and has fans all around former Yugoslavia as a result of that period.
As_Contas_do_Título

Post by As_Contas_do_Título »

nogomet wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 23:16
Jackson Harrison wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 21:58
He is. Slovenian football was not very represented in the top flight of the federal Yugoslav league back when Ceferin was a kid and started following football. So people from Slovenia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Montenegro supported clubs from other parts of the country - Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina - that had the highest number of clubs in the federal league. Hajduk Split was extremely successful during the 1970s (Ceferin's formative years) and has fans all around former Yugoslavia as a result of that period.
As for Fernando Gomes, he usually send him because more than half of the UYL finals have portuguese teams involved :D
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Congratulations AZ, together with Ajax, my favorite Dutch team. A great accomplishment, hopefully they can build on this to send the senior side to the Champions League again.
Jackson Harrison

mspm89 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 01:42 Congratulations AZ, together with Ajax, my favorite Dutch team. A great accomplishment, hopefully they can build on this to send the senior side to the Champions League again.
Ajax? Why do they deserve congratulations? AZ won not them!
Jackson Harrison

amenina wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 23:00
I thought the same!

But there are a lot of league matches on Saturday night, so the attention of the football fans will be diverted.

Also, if the match is played on Saturday or Sunday, it will coincide with the senior league matches of AZ and Hajduk, so it may not be convenient for fans to travel.

And for UWCL, my understanding is that 21:00 is actually too late for family viewers such as children, so unless the match is utmost importance, some people will go to bed early and decide to miss it.
So too late for women but not men? Same with Euro?
amenina

Post by amenina »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 09:53
I thought the same!

Women’s matches, because of the cheaper ticket prices, are attended by more families with children, so they don’t want kickoff times that are too late which are inconvenient for kids.
Jackson Harrison

amenina wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:31

Women’s matches, because of the cheaper ticket prices, are attended by more families with children, so they don’t want kickoff times that are too late which are inconvenient for kids.
Guess so! All the WEuro matches were at 9pm except the final!
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:38
Firstly, to stay on topic, congratulations to AZ, I saw most of the match yesterday.

Regarding kick-off times, I think that they are mostly scheduled for tv viewing rather than crowd convenience since that audience is often larger and brings in more revenue. I am attending Arsenal's women CL match next Monday partly because the kick-off time is more convenient for me as I live a fair distance from the ground and transport can be a problem for a late evening match. On the other hand I am more likely to watch a match on tv if it is scheduled for the evening. So there is a bit of a circular argument here regarding scheduling. On weekends or national holidays the kick-off time is perhaps a bit less important as people who are interested are likely to watch anyway.
amenina

Post by amenina »

SimonB wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 13:16
Jackson Harrison wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:38

Firstly, to stay on topic, congratulations to AZ, I saw most of the match yesterday.

Regarding kick-off times, I think that they are mostly scheduled for tv viewing rather than crowd convenience since that audience is often larger and brings in more revenue. I am attending Arsenal's women CL match next Monday partly because the kick-off time is more convenient for me as I live a fair distance from the ground and transport can be a problem for a late evening match. On the other hand I am more likely to watch a match on tv if it is scheduled for the evening. So there is a bit of a circular argument here regarding scheduling. On weekends or national holidays the kick-off time is perhaps a bit less important as people who are interested are likely to watch anyway.
Well, obviously the scheduling has to take account into tv viewing, especially now that women's competitions have just signed broadcast deals with tv companies or streaming services, etc.

But it is interesting that both UWCL semi-finals second legs are not played on the weekend (Saturday and Sunday) as originally scheduled. One is played on Thursday and the other played on Monday, and both start quite early at 18:45 CET (17:45 BST for the Arsenal match). I think both Barcelona and Arsenal scheduled at a date and time that they think can get maximum crowds for support. But that is probably a topic for another thread....