2022/23 UEFA Youth League

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Ed wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 16:03
Dragonite wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 13:00 I expect Sporting, Atlético, Real Madrid and Dortmund to reach the final four.
For someone who follows European Youth League so closely, your expectations are not so well aligned, Dragonite. Last round you had 3 out of 8 and now in the quarters already only 1 of 3.
Maybe you care to explain: is Youth football simply less predictable and more prone to surprises ?

EDIT: 1 out of 4 in the quarter finals.
Yes, youth football is less predictable.

Example: Last season Milan finished bottom of its group without a single win. Atlético advanced from that group and reached the semifinals. This season they played again in the quarters and this time Milan prevailed.

Also when players start to impress for the youth team, it's likely that they'll be promoted to the senior team, and then they won't be available for the youth team anymore (after playing thrice for the senior team in that season).

There's also the fact that it's only 90 minutes in one leg and then immediately penalty kicks. Two of my misses last round and another here were penalty shootout decisions. Perhaps with a home and away format with extra-time the outcomes would be different.

And finally, in the last stages the sample is just too small and all the teams are high quality. It's much more predictable in the early stages with bigger samples and when there are weaker teams still involved. :wink:
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
amenina

Post by amenina »

UEFA Youth League finals moved to Stade de Genève

https://www.uefa.com/uefayouthleague/ne ... de-geneve/

The UEFA Youth League finals on 21 and 24 April have been moved to Stade de Genève from the usual Nyon location.

The 2022/23 UEFA Youth League finals will take place at Servette FC's Stade de Genève in Geneva on 21 and 24 April due to the extraordinary interest of participating clubs' supporters for the tournament, subsequently leading to a need for a venue with increased operational capacities.

UEFA Youth League finals schedule
Friday 21 April: Semi-finals
Hajduk Split (CRO) vs AC Milan (ITA): 13:00 CET
Sporting CP (POR) vs AZ Alkmaar (NED): 18:00 CET

Monday 24 April: Final
Sporting CP / AZ Alkmaar vs Hajduk Split / AC Milan: 18:00 CET

Ticketing details will be made available shortly on UEFA.com.

The eight previous editions of UEFA Youth League finals have been played at Colovray Sports Centre in Nyon, Switzerland. UEFA is grateful for the outstanding collaboration with the municipality of Nyon, the excellent work done in preparations for the final tournament, and the comprehension of the final decision to change the venue for this occasion.
kroftek

Post by kroftek »

You can pretty much thank Hajduk for this. ;)
Oh viens je t'en prie
C'est ton amie aussi
C'est l'élixir de mes délires
Je t'aime mélancolie
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

amenina wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 22:39 UEFA Youth League finals moved to Stade de Genève

https://www.uefa.com/uefayouthleague/ne ... de-geneve/

The UEFA Youth League finals on 21 and 24 April have been moved to Stade de Genève from the usual Nyon location.

The 2022/23 UEFA Youth League finals will take place at Servette FC's Stade de Genève in Geneva on 21 and 24 April due to the extraordinary interest of participating clubs' supporters for the tournament, subsequently leading to a need for a venue with increased operational capacities.

Monday 24 April: Final
Sporting CP / AZ Alkmaar vs Hajduk Split / AC Milan: 18:00 CET

Ticketing details will be made available shortly on UEFA.com.

The eight previous editions of UEFA Youth League finals have been played at Colovray Sports Centre in Nyon, Switzerland. UEFA is grateful for the outstanding collaboration with the municipality of Nyon, the excellent work done in preparations for the final tournament, and the comprehension of the final decision to change the venue for this occasion.
Step in the right direction.

I personally would play UYL final before UCL final and 2 semi-finals before UEL and UECL finals in same stadium as a kind of 'appetiser'!
amenina

Post by amenina »

Semi-finals today

As_Contas_do_Título

Post by As_Contas_do_Título »

amenina wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 22:39
Order of semi-finals reversed.
amenina

Post by amenina »

Sporting CP (POR) 2-2 (3-4 p) AZ Alkmaar (NED)

AZ reached the UYL final after their second European win by penalties in two days.

They are the first Dutch UYL finalists, eclipsing Ajax which reached the semi-finals in 2019/20.

Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

With young PSV reaching the Final of the Premier League Imternational cup, Dutch Youth teams are doing well this season…
amenina

Post by amenina »

Hajduk Split (CRO) 3-1 AC Milan (ITA)

Hajduk will play AZ in the UYL final. First time the final is played between two teams from the Domestic Champions Path.

Used to be that the UYL final resembles a UCL match, now it resembles more a UECL match! :banana:
amenina

Post by amenina »

Knockout round bracket (so far)

Lorric

Post by Lorric »

I won't make a new thread for it, so I'll post here. Yet again in England, Manchester City have won the Northern Premier League, and a team which won't take a CL place in the senior game, West Ham, have won the Southern Premier League. So once again, I'll be rooting against City, who are going for their 4th straight title, in the final, so we can get a team on the Champions Path. West Ham would be especially nice I think after how much I've enjoyed their senior team in Europe these last two seasons. Hopefully both West Ham teams will be in Europe next season! :smile1:
Jackson Harrison

Lorric wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 21:55 I won't make a new thread for it, so I'll post here. Yet again in England, Manchester City have won the Northern Premier League, and a team which won't take a CL place in the senior game, West Ham, have won the Southern Premier League. So once again, I'll be rooting against City, who are going for their 4th straight title, in the final, so we can get a team on the Champions Path. West Ham would be especially nice I think after how much I've enjoyed their senior team in Europe these last two seasons. Hopefully both West Ham teams will be in Europe next season! :smile1:
They're in the relegation battle not European battle?

EDIT: Get what you mean now as they could win ECL was me being a dickhead again!
amenina

Post by amenina »

Jackson Harrison

Am watching it on BT Sport @amenina

Unlikely final good luck all!
Jackson Harrison

AZ score on stroke of Half-Time!

Was a stonewall penalty!

A reminder if Hajduk get one back and it's a draw we're straight to penalties - no extra-time.

I personally feel Hajduk are unlucky to be 1 down at half time as they were better side for first 35-40 mins IMHO!
Last edited by Jackson Harrison on Mon Apr 24, 2023 18:47, edited 1 time in total.