Croatian Football Season 2022/2023

Domestic league and cup football
agram

Croatian Football Season 2022/2023

Post by agram »

32rd edition of Hrvatska nogometna liga - HNL

It lost its "numerical" designation "1st" or "Prva".
Now it is called only the Croatian Football League.

Last year's 2nd HNL became Prva liga (First League), and last year's 3rd HNL became Druga liga (Second League).

The change compared to last season is that Varaždin replaced Hrvatski Dragovoljac.

Generally, positions will be as same as last year, with weakened Rijeka.

Dinamo is the main favorite for the title. Although they have a weak coach and I expect torture in the qualifications for the CL, I do not believe that they will qualify, in the HNL they still have the strongest roster, which is now reinforced by Josip Drmić, a great goal scorer from Rijeka. They lack a good left back.

After 10 years, Hajduk had a winning season, finally ahead of Rijeka and Osijek, they also won the cup. They have perhaps the best coach in the league, they haven't changed the roster much and they could finally attack Dinamo this season.

Osijek blew out last year. In the moments when they were perhaps the closest to winning the title, they played very badly. Coach Bjelica has a bad relationship with the club, and probably only the high price of the break-up prevents that break-up. They lack more motor, fast players, they lack players with charisma. An unbalanced team. They will be third. I do not believe they will reach beyond the 3rd qualifying round of the ECL, regardless of the ELO ranking. :grin1:

Rijeka is in a bad situation. The owner is leaving, the coach has already left, as well as the five best players. They will fight for the fourth place with Gorica and Lokomotiva. They will be eliminated in the second qualifying round of the ECL, unless they buy some replacements.

Lokomotiva and Gorica will fight equally for European cups with Rijeka.

Šibenik, Slaven Belupo, Istra and Varaždin will struggle to survive in the elite division. Only one club drops out. I expect Šibenik to be relegated.

8 slova - HRVATSKA
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

t’s too early for detailed predictions, one needs to see the transition period and the first couple of rounds to see what the clubs look like.
Dinamo is always the first favorite, the purchase of Josip Drmić is a complete success. He will score 25 to 30 goals per season for Dinamo in the HNL, a top striker.
I would not say that Čačić is a bad coach, he brought the advantage in the finish of the championship. In France, at the Euros, the Croatian national team played great football with Čačić.
Those who could get involved in the fight for the champion are possibly Hajduk and Osijek. They have quality players and if they are in the right shape and with some luck in the draw, they could reach the ECL groups. That would be great for Croatian football because they would earn something and get the opportunity to promote their players on the European scene.
What is not good is Rijeka, which seems to be in disrepair. Rijeka no longer has a coach or the best players, so her chances for the ECL or the fight for the title are zero. We should wait to see what kind of reinforcements it will bring, but I am not optimistic. Rijeka will probably fight for the fourth place with Gorica, Lokomotiva and Slaven. :dontknow:
krdel

Post by krdel »

The broadcasts will start only in the 10th round because of [some stupid excuse about summer tv schedule].

One thing is almost certain, Istra 1961 will be ninth. So the main candidate for relegation is probably Šibenik.

In "first" league there are not many candidates. I would like to see Orijent, but more realistic are Rudeš, Inter (new Dinamo B)) and maybe Cibalia. With all the new money lets hope the clubs will be more ambitious than usual.
UEFA - We care about money. Pravda za Kolubaru!
agram

Post by agram »

Inter will not be Dinamo B :)
Dinamo decided not to have feeder club
8 slova - HRVATSKA
krdel

Post by krdel »

Ahha, I see, that is great news. Well, Inter is still among favourites for return even without that.
UEFA - We care about money. Pravda za Kolubaru!
agram

Post by agram »

Notable transfers:

Dinamo
IN: Drmic (Rijeka), Robert Ljubicic (Rapid Wien)

Hajduk
OUT: Katic (Rangers), Ferro (Benfica) - end of loan

Osijek
OUT: Bohar (Zaglebie)

Rijeka
IN: Vrancic (Stoke), Alvarez (Cherno More)
OUT: Drmic (Dinamo), Pavicic, Muric (Konyaspor), Smolcic (Eintracht), Gnezda Cerin (Nuernberg-end of loan), Velkoski
8 slova - HRVATSKA
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

agram wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:50 32rd edition of Hrvatska nogometna liga - HNL
At some point years back, I picked up the English meaning of our Croatian friend's name, but it's still fun to imagine they named the league after him. :smile1:

I'm curious about the "na" though. Both mean "football", right? What is the significance of the na? Maybe one is the physical ball and the other the sport?
quelhar

Post by quelhar »

Lorric wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 14:49
agram wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:50 32rd edition of Hrvatska nogometna liga - HNL
At some point years back, I picked up the English meaning of our Croatian friend's name, but it's still fun to imagine they named the league after him. :smile1:

I'm curious about the "na" though. Both mean "football", right? What is the significance of the na? Maybe one is the physical ball and the other the sport?
That "na" is related to the fact that in slavic languages nouns and adjectives created from that nouns have in general different forms. Nogomet means football (noun), but the adjective football will have different forms according to the relevant grammatical gender. As "liga" is a feminine word, the proper form of the adjective ends with "-na"
SK Slavia Praha fan
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

quelhar wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 15:47

That "na" is related to the fact that in slavic languages nouns and adjectives created from that nouns have in general different forms. Nogomet means football (noun), but the adjective football will have different forms according to the relevant grammatical gender. As "liga" is a feminine word, the proper form of the adjective ends with "-na"
Oh. We don't have gendered words of course. Thanks. :up:
Todor

Post by Todor »

Lorric wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 15:56
quelhar wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 15:47

Oh. We don't have gendered words of course. Thanks. :up:
It's not only the gender. The suffix -na transform the noun 'football' into the adjective 'related to football'
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

nogomet --> nogometna

=

football --> of football
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

Pre-season odds to win the title:

1. Dinamo 1.70
2. Hajduk 2.20
3. Osijek 5
4. Rijeka 40
5. Lokomotiva 200
6. Gorica 300
7. Šibenik 500
7. Varaždin 500
7. Istra 1961 500
7. Slaven Belupo 500

I think Dinamo's chances are underrated.
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

nogomet wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 14:33 Pre-season odds to win the title:

1. Dinamo 1.70
2. Hajduk 2.20
3. Osijek 5
4. Rijeka 40
5. Lokomotiva 200
6. Gorica 300
7. Šibenik 500
7. Varaždin 500
7. Istra 1961 500
7. Slaven Belupo 500

I think Dinamo's chances are underrated.
Dinamo underestimated, realistically it would be 1.30, Hajduk and Rijeka overestimated. Hajduk about 4 and Rijeka about 400. I don't see Rijeka in the Top 4, everyone fled there. Rijeka reminds me of Lokomotiva in the CL qualifiers, if the situation is not worse. :mol:
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

So, Rijeka is weak this year?
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

Firnen wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 15:44 So, Rijeka is weak this year?
It's impossible to comment on Rijeka because of so many unknowns around the club. We don't know who the coach will be, we don't know who they'll bring instead of the major players that left the club. If they do a good job this summer, then they can be dangerous (not to win the title, but at least to be a contender like last season). If they don't do a good job, then they will be fighting for a place in Europe, i.e. to avoid fifth place.