English Football 2022/23

Domestic league and cup football
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

anty1975 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 00:02
Botman £35 mln, Isak £63 mln, thats almost £100 mln for 2 players. Most of EPL clubs can't afford to spend such money on just 2 players. Though I agree that the main reason for success is Eddy Howe's work.
I don't have the data at hand, but I'm pretty sure relegation battlers in the Premier League have paid that kind of fees for at least one player, though maybe not for two or three in the same window, that was my point. And Newcastle hasn't been exactly acquiring Mbappé's and the like for 200 millions PSG style, which is what the language usually used by haters seems to suggest.
Firnen wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 00:05
Stop sportswashing Arab states, people.
I've supported Newcastle since 2002. Preach to someone else.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

mspm89 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 02:42
anty1975 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 00:02
Botman £35 mln, Isak £63 mln, thats almost £100 mln for 2 players. Most of EPL clubs can't afford to spend such money on just 2 players. Though I agree that the main reason for success is Eddy Howe's work.
I don't have the data at hand, but I'm pretty sure relegation battlers in the Premier League have paid that kind of fees for at least one player, though maybe not for two or three in the same window, that was my point. And Newcastle hasn't been exactly acquiring Mbappé's and the like for 200 millions PSG style, which is what the language usually used by haters seems to suggest.
Firnen wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 00:05
Stop sportswashing Arab states, people.
I've supported Newcastle since 2002. Preach to someone else.
Was Mbappe sign on the first year of oil-slaving ownership or after of quite some years building a decent team? Same goes for citizens. Where were the most expensive aquisitions and most expensive signinins?

Srop lying to yourself.There are 3 clubs owned by nations and their goal its pretty clear: sportwashing.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

rpo.castro wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 08:46 Srop lying to yourself.There are 3 clubs owned by nations and their goal its pretty clear: sportwashing.
Don't care.
Oldelpaso

Post by Oldelpaso »

The views expressed here on Newcastle aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Pre-takeover Newcastle had a very bad owner and a very bad manager. Changing them for pretty much anybody else would have improved them. I wonder where they would be in the alternate universe where the takeover was blocked and some other purchaser stepped in.

The team yesterday had 6 players from before the takeover and 5 signed in the past year. Individually, they are not too remarkable. A goalie from a relegated club. A defender who had lost his place in the Brighton team. Even for Bruno, you can point to similar sized clubs like Everton or Aston Villa who have signed players like Coutinho, Richarlison and James Rodriguez. But they would not all have signed in quick succession without the Saudi money.

Howe has done well, and it is a surprise to see such a solid defence given how leaky his Bournemouth were. Considering how abject the team were beforehand, there are more of the old players shining than you would ever have thought possible.
No to Superleague
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

West Ham scored a funny goal, after a corner the ball was played with both hands like a volleyball player does, 1:0 West Ham vs. Bournemouth.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

I'm surprised by this, Aston Villa grab Emery from Villarreal to be their new manager!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63379963

Huge acquisition!

Sevilla
Villarreal
Aston Villa

The credit for that goes to the comments section in the article. :grin1:
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Penalty for handball converted, 2:0 West Ham. Only a minute left.
rrey1

Post by rrey1 »

Emergence of Newcastle is quite good for EPL.
May be we'll have "Big 7" instead of "Big 6".
Will keep the competition for CL places very tight
(even under post-2024 format, with 5 EPL teams going most years).
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Howay the lads! :D

A question for guys like Oldelpaso, Lorric, etc. who hail from England and know what they're talking about:

A decade ago, when there was talk that the Venkys could boost Blackburn to new heights only to relegate them within a couple of years, I heard a few opinions that can be summarized like this: having owners with supposedly bottomless pockets is not everything for teams like City or Chelsea, they need good local rivals too (one has Man U and the other has Arsenal, Spurs and you can count Fulham and a few others in for the "local derby factor").

What do you guys think about this factor, could it be significant? Because if that's the case, we need the Mackems back up and do better than they have for who knows how many decades. :lol:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Brighton 4-1 Chelsea.

Maybe it'll be more than just Potter and Cucurella moving from Brighton to Chelsea...
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Nasty Leeds beating Liverpool at Anfield 2:1, they just scored in the 89th minute.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Leeds hammers a nail in the scouse coffin, beating them in Anfield the way they usually win, in the last minute!
anty1975

Post by anty1975 »

Firnen wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 22:47 Leeds hammers a nail in the scouse coffin, beating them in Anfield the way they usually win, in the last minute!
I wouldn't say usual, usually Liverpool crush such opponents long before the final whistle. But yeah, this season is a hard one for us. Loss of form and injuries to key players, in particular problems in midfiled with Henderson and Fabinho being a shadow of themselves. Also Darwin Nunez not adapting well at all, I am beginnng to doubt if he has intelligence to play in LIverpool's fluid attacking system :(
rrey1

Post by rrey1 »

With every passing day it becomes more and more obvious that Darwin for Mane was a bad exchange.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Forest salvaged a point late-late in the 96th minute against Brentford, while nasty Leeds came back from 1:3 down and won 4:3 against Bournemouth! :up: