UEFA Champions League 2022/23 3rd qualifying round

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
wannabeontop

Post by wannabeontop »

Btw, in the first round Ferencváros had to travel to Kazakhstan of all places to play the first game of the season. If they progress to the 3rd round there is a decent chance that they'll have to travel all the way to Azerbaijan. Thanks a lot UEFA.
In Game of Thrones conquerors always say to the defeated side: "Bend the knee and you''ll live". As if they weren't alive right now.

I'm smarter than it shows. Just don't want to discourage anyone.
emortal

Post by emortal »

dnina10 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 13:53
emortal wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:41 @dnina10 do you happen to know where USG will play their European games?

I assume their home turf (as much as I love it) is out of the question?
They will play at the King Power at Den Dreef in Leuven for the qualifiers and the Roi Badouain Stadium in Brussels for the group stage
I won't be here during August, but if they make it to the group stage that probably means a lot of tickets available at the Roi Baudouin!

Let's hope they make it to the group.
air

Post by air »

wannabeontop wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 14:11 Btw, in the first round Ferencváros had to travel to Kazakhstan of all places to play the first game of the season. If they progress to the 3rd round there is a decent chance that they'll have to travel all the way to Azerbaijan. Thanks a lot UEFA.
Sometimes an Azeri trip is better than a trip to Zagreb.

Btw I checked it with an Azeri friend, he is confident that they will go through the Swiss.
Vee_1

Post by Vee_1 »

anty1975 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 13:30
Vee_1 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:27 With the players Union SG have lost I can't see them beating Rangers.
Rangers also have lost some very important players
Rangers haven't lost a 20+ season goal scorer in there league and the teams arguably best midfielder and not really replaced them.

Rangers are still a lot stronger than Union SG. I can see Rangers competiting again in Europe I can't see Union SG competing for the title again in Belgium thats the difference to me their transfer business has made so far.
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

air wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 16:15
wannabeontop wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 14:11 Btw, in the first round Ferencváros had to travel to Kazakhstan of all places to play the first game of the season. If they progress to the 3rd round there is a decent chance that they'll have to travel all the way to Azerbaijan. Thanks a lot UEFA.

Btw I checked it with an Azeri friend, he is confident that they will go through the Swiss.
snd better than a trip to Iceland ;)
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

EarlofBug wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 18:38

I think this whole "trip factor" is overrated. The teams go by plane, not by bus. Extra 1-2 hours on a plane isn't really that important...
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

dnina10 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 15:52 Champions path
The Champions path features to new entrants and ten second qualifying round winners (Champions path). Teams have been divided into two groups and seeded in accordance with the club coefficient ranking (the higher coefficient of the two clubs involved in an undecided pairing).

Group 1
Seeded:
Match 1 Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) / Shkupi (MKD)
Match 2 Maccabi Haifa (ISR) / Olympiacos (GRE)
Match 3 Qarabağ (AZE) / Zürich (SUI)

Unseeded:
Match 4 Ludogorets (BUL) / Shamrock Rovers (IRL)
Match 5 Ferencváros (HUN) / Slovan Bratislava (SVK)
Apollon Limassol (CYP)

Group 2
Seeded:
Crvena zvezda (SRB)
Match 6 HJK Helsinki (FIN) / Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)
Match 7 Žalgiris (LTU) / Malmö (SWE)

Unseeded:
Match 8 Maribor (SVN) / Sheriff (MDA)
Match 9 Linfield (NIR) / Bodø/Glimt (NOR)
Match 10 Pyunik (ARM) / Diddeleng (LUX)

Groups are out
Fradi probably got the best possible draw - Qarabağ (AZE) / Zürich (SUI) -, they should be satisfied. Both Olympiakos (Apollon Limassol (CYP)) and Dinamo Zagreb (Ludogorets (BUL) / Shamrock Rovers (IRL)) are heavy favourites.
Crvena Zvezda won the lottery with Pyunik (ARM) / Diddeleng (LUX) while Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) should be also staisfied - Maribor (SVN) / Sheriff (MDA). And we have the northern derby between Malmö (SWE) and Bodø/Glimt (NOR).
air

Post by air »

Firnen wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 18:47

I think this whole "trip factor" is overrated. The teams go by plane, not by bus. Extra 1-2 hours on a plane isn't really that important...
I agree, but also I think that the time zone factor is important. On a trip to Kazakhstan, your day is "shorter" by 4 hours, your rhytm can be ruined. Good resting is important, even if +2 hrs on the plane is nothing.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

air wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 08:38
Firnen wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 18:47

I agree, but also I think that the time zone factor is important. On a trip to Kazakhstan, your day is "shorter" by 4 hours, your rhytm can be ruined. Good resting is important, even if +2 hrs on the plane is nothing.
I agree with that. Basing on the results of Kazakh teams at home and away I think it has a confirmation in reality.
Polak

Post by Polak »

Slightly confused. Can someone explain to me why Union SG, who were 1st, are in the league path?
seso

Post by seso »

Polak wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:23 Slightly confused. Can someone explain to me why Union SG, who were 1st, are in the league path?
There were play-offs. Club Brugge finished first and is in CL-GS.
Polak

Post by Polak »

Ah ok gotcha. What a stupid system. Poland had that recently (well a similar one). What's the point of even bothering trying to finish 1st in the league if you just have to go through play-offs anyway.
Forza AZ

Post by Forza AZ »

Polak wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:43 Ah ok gotcha. What a stupid system. Poland had that recently (well a similar one). What's the point of even bothering trying to finish 1st in the league if you just have to go through play-offs anyway.
In Belgium getting 1st in the regular season ensures you play in Europe. And also points from the regular season are counted (for 50%) in the play-offs.
dnina10

Post by dnina10 »

Polak wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:23 Slightly confused. Can someone explain to me why Union SG, who were 1st, are in the league path?
Yeah as everyone else mentioned, the playoffs saw Union finish second. Belgium is reverting back to its old format after this coming season, so expect to see more of the same regarding that
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Park wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:45 Terrible draw for PSV. Last year we couldn't win against Monaco and Monaco seems even better than last year with Clement. Although they have lost Tchoumeni.
It in the middle of the summer, last season, mid season doesn’t count. Who prepares their team best for this vacation Spiel. Well after winning this round Benfica would wait, so it is a hard path to get into the CL if you are no championd and not in top 4. For PSV they need some luck to pass this any year Being in the best 2 teams of the league path.
PSV had some interesting signings, maybe they will manage this time, and otherwise EL groupstage is maybe more fitting on level. Of course the money is different and PSV could use some extra millions…. But points might be more important in this season before the new system kicks in?