UEFA Europa Conference League 2022/23 3rd Qualifying Round

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Kisvarda won 2:1, but out, anyway nice way to say hasta la vista.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Rapid has scored a 2nd, Vaduz is waiting.

It feels like a big chance wasted for Nefci. For Vaduz too probably.
matt

Post by matt »

In their current state Partizan are lucky to face Hamrun instead of Levski in the ECL Play-off round.
International break hater
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Penalty Lech, there was a handball.
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Saved by Jonsson. Sousa, what are you doing...
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

At least Sousa scored now. 4-1.
Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins »

From the makers of The Fog, The Thing and Hallowe'en, it's John Carpenter's Dundee United's Trip to Holland...
Michael S Collins

Not much you can say really. Yes, nerves, yes inexperience, but there was a huge gulf between the sides. In the home leg, they kept it level and won the tie (and Scottish coefficient points) but in the Netherlands, that gulf showed, the bigger team played to a much higher gear, and you just can't do much about that. Sometimes a team is just second best.

I think over the tie they played well (or as well as they could) for about 60-70% of it, but yeah, the likely 7th best team in Scotland got a lesson from one of the contenders to win the trophy.
Polak

Post by Polak »

Well Lech finally win the match 4-1 aet, but probably should have scored about 9. So wasteful, and with a stronger opponent like Malmo that kind of wastefulness is going to cost them.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Polak wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 23:07 Well Lech finally win the match 4-1 aet, but probably should have scored about 9. So wasteful, and with a stronger opponent like Malmo that kind of wastefulness is going to cost them.
They're playing Dudelange next, not exactly a stronger opponent.
Michael S Collins

Just seen Vaduz and Hamrun's scores. Wow.
Polak

Post by Polak »

Firnen wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 23:08
Polak wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 23:07 Well Lech finally win the match 4-1 aet, but probably should have scored about 9. So wasteful, and with a stronger opponent like Malmo that kind of wastefulness is going to cost them.
They're playing Dudelange next, not exactly a stronger opponent.
Indeed. I thought it was Malmo. This champions qualifying path really is confusing. Well then they have some chance, even as bad as they are.
red81

Post by red81 »

Me very pleased by tonight's results.
Harpoon for Lefski :)
hertolo

Post by hertolo »

Back from watching Basel and it was as expected. Brondby still good, but far less so than at their own stadium. Some in here said they played bad, but I think it's just very hard to keep up a tight play over 120 minutes, and that is enormously important in international all-or-nothing games.

But we couldn't score from our gazillion chances, at least we got the second penalty... And so it went to Penalties. Here, i feel like the fitness level showed, but to be honest, it's all a lottery. Still, Basel hasn't lost a penalty shootout for 15 years or so now (on the international level).

The other Swiss matches went as expected. Lugano playing better and convincingly, but getting the goals instead of scoring them.

All in all, this night once again convinced me that the qualification phase in summer with direct knockouts is really bad. It's less about football, and more about the luck of the draw, the (til end of August) transfer window and how the wind blows on that specific evening. Brondby would have deserved a place in the groups, or at least the playoffs.
bossake

Post by bossake »

Firnen wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 19:22 Cluj is one of the dullest teams in Europe, every year. They might face a team of 11 school kids and they will still play their slow, sleepy, set-piece oriented football.
My friend in Romania we are totally pissed off by this style. Every title of them (they have 5 in row) was winned in this way :)))