CL Matchday 1

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
BurningStorm

CL Matchday 1

Post by BurningStorm »

BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

So from a German POV we start with two home games against the underdogs of both groups, in other words: must wins. But I'm a bit concerned regarding Dortmund. They have a lot of injuries and therefore they play an unusual unaesthetic football. The Haaland replacement Haller, who was a very good signing on paper, got cancer and might be out at least the whole GS. Then they bought 34yo Modeste - who has never played for a top team before - from Köln as a short-time replacement so to speak. They also signed Adeyemi from Salzburg who wasn't injury free so far, had problems after all of his three games for Dortmund and should be out for the Copenhagen game as well. Same goes for Malen, their other winger. Small chance that one of them can play. Oh - and their third winger, Bynoe-Gittens, is also injured... And playmaker Dahoud is out for several months after an injury against Hoffenheim some days ago. Dortmund managed to win 4 out of 5 Bundesliga games so far, with hard work and a lot of luck in several games. The defeat was against newly promoted Werder Bremen. If they can win in Dortmund, Copenhagen also have some chances I guess, at least against this injury-plagued team. However, the yellow-blacks still have names like Reus, Bellingham, Hummels and Guerreiro on the pitch and anything but a win would be embarrassing. I expect an ugly win.

Unlike Dortmund, Leipzig's Bundesliga season is horrible on paper, so far. Could only win one game in five matchdays and the 0-4 loss in Frankfurt a few days ago was a disaster. The squad has definitely become stronger compared to previous season, so coach Tedesco is already in danger. Don't know what to expect from Shakhtar, but I guess in their current situation you have to beat them at home if you have some ambitions. Perhaps the CL spotlight will bring Leipzig more seriousness and concentration.
ultra2013

Post by ultra2013 »

On MD1, all four time slots will have a Bundesliga team. The benefit of having five teams in UCL I believe.
Jua Ferreira

Post by Jua Ferreira »

Dominating start by Chelsea however DZ scored first. Quite good start for CL season
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

1-0 Dortmund (Reus)

Fantastic goal.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

2-0 Dortmund, Guerreiro. So two of the available key players I mentioned scored. Also a pretty goal, but poor defending by Copenhagen.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Huge save by Kepa. He pushed the ball to the bar after Ristovski let it fly from outside!
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

Celtic have decided not to risk Kyogo from the start, Jenz starts in place of Starfelt
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

If Dinamo Zagreb really get the win here against Chelsea, it would be a huge blow for Salzburg in the race for 3rd place. But if Salzburg beat Milan later at home, the group could become really interesting, more than we all thought.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

BurningStorm wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 20:17 If Dinamo Zagreb really get the win here against Chelsea, it would be a huge blow for Salzburg in the race for 3rd place. But if Salzburg beat Milan later at home, the group could become really interesting, more than we all thought.
On the other hand, it's a chance for Salzburg to make the R16 for a 2nd year in a row, since Chelsea already drops points.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

3-0 Dortmund, Bellingham. At least one good news for @Lorric as Chelsea are disappointing so far. :wink:

Firnen wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 20:23
BurningStorm wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 20:17 If Dinamo Zagreb really get the win here against Chelsea, it would be a huge blow for Salzburg in the race for 3rd place. But if Salzburg beat Milan later at home, the group could become really interesting, more than we all thought.
On the other hand, it's a chance for Salzburg to make the R16 for a 2nd year in a row, since Chelsea already drops points.
Yes, that's what I meant with 'the group could become interesting'. It all depends on their result against Milan if the result in Zagreb is good or bad for them.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Nice to know he scored. I'll be joining the thread for the later games, didn't notice the thread so have been posting about Chelsea in the group stage thread.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

3 crucial saves by Livakovic in rapid succession!
Jua Ferreira

Post by Jua Ferreira »

Dinamo 1-0 Chelsea FT
I did not expect this.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Dinamo Zagreb - Chelsea 1:0, bravo Dinamo, superb play and even more superb result! Ljubicic was the man of the match! 280 million couldn't buy a goal in Zagreb! :banana: :applause: :D