UEFA Euro 2024- Qualifier

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

fabiomh wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 18:30
Lorric wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 16:14
fabiomh wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 15:55

yes, in my opinion in a long run the bookies win always.
What the player loose has to be enough to pay all the bookies agencies, all the people working on this and the gain for the bookies.
It is their job, and they cannot afford to loose money.
And you can only loose, since it is a game you vs professional bookies. It is a mismatch.

For me it was more interesting an old game, where you have to guess the outcome of 13 matches; the same game more or less was/is in several countries (Totocalcio in Italy, Loto Foot in France, Quiniela in Spain, Sport Toto in Switzerland, ..).
In this case the organizer keep a percentage of the money; the remaining money is divided by all the winners of that week; you actually play vs other players; in a long run if you are much much better than the other players you can gain money.
It's possible to beat them, but they'll beat most people so it doesn't matter. Plus, if you keep beating them, they're not obligated to keep letting you do it, and can refuse to do business with you.
yes, you are absolutely right.
It's possible to beat them, but very very difficult. I would not be able.
And, as you say, if they realize that you can do it, they can refuse to go forward.
It was easiest gaining money in Totocalcio and similar games, by far, under certain condition.
Something I remembered, I used to read the Betfair forums. Not because of betting, though I took some interest out of curiosity in that side of things, things like 1.01 bets getting busted and betting patterns and some of the discussions about it, but primarily I read because they had good discussions about sports. There was a guy who came on every year to share his recommended bets for the early rounds of the Estonian Cup. Everybody made a killing every year. I really contemplated getting in on that action myself but held back every time. Mainly because I do have a healthy fear of the power of addiction. I've never been unhealthily addicted to anything, but so many have been, intelligent, capable people, that I'm not going to blithely assume it couldn't happen to me. So I guess that's the kind of area you can beat them, with superior local knowledge of an obscure market. That's the surest thing I've ever seen in betting. I read that forum for a good few years and they made a ton of money off the Estonian Cup every year.
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

Lorric wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 18:40

It's possible to beat them, but they'll beat most people so it doesn't matter. Plus, if you keep beating them, they're not obligated to keep letting you do it, and can refuse to do business with you.
And, as you say, if they realize that you can do it, they can refuse to go forward.
It was easiest gaining money in Totocalcio and similar games, by far, under certain condition.
Something I remembered, I used to read the Betfair forums. Not because of betting, though I took some interest out of curiosity in that side of things, things like 1.01 bets getting busted and betting patterns and some of the discussions about it, but primarily I read because they had good discussions about sports. There was a guy who came on every year to share his recommended bets for the early rounds of the Estonian Cup. Everybody made a killing every year. I really contemplated getting in on that action myself but held back every time. Mainly because I do have a healthy fear of the power of addiction. I've never been unhealthily addicted to anything, but so many have been, intelligent, capable people, that I'm not going to blithely assume it couldn't happen to me. So I guess that's the kind of area you can beat them, with superior local knowledge of an obscure market. That's the surest thing I've ever seen in betting. I read that forum for a good few years and they made a ton of money off the Estonian Cup every year.
Just read this discussion and thought i'd throw my 2 pence in.

Lorric will be able to relate more as he's English. One thing that's very similar in the UK is the national lottery which is arguably more addictive than sports betting, people have the same numbers every week which makes people compounded to play every week and continue to play due to the off chance that their numbers win a fortune, it costs £208 a year to play twice a week and you probably get about £10 back.
fabiomh

Post by fabiomh »

Understood. Yes, I agree 100% with the "healthy fear of the power of addiction".
I took some interest too, and I tried to find out if any or "statistical" method to identify some "convenient" betting. I collected and elaborated tons of numbers with a "statistical" approach, no real money bet; but I was not able to find any decent result.
I am pretty sure that someone else find out some good method, but I understood that I am not able to do it, and that I was only throwing my time away.
Hope for more partecipants in the next Prediction Game
fabiomh

Post by fabiomh »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 19:01

Lorric will be able to relate more as he's English. One thing that's very similar in the UK is the national lottery which is arguably more addictive than sports betting, people have the same numbers every week which makes people compounded to play every week and continue to play due to the off chance that their numbers win a fortune, it costs £208 a year to play twice a week and you probably get about £10 back.
yes, agree, the same in Italy. Much more people addicted to a similar lottery in Italy too.

In the 80's, there was no national lottery, most betting was illegal, Totocalcio was the only legal game, and it collected 80 billions Liras (40 m euros) per week. Nowadays it has many competitors which are now legal, and it collects only 100k euros per week.
Hope for more partecipants in the next Prediction Game
bossake

Post by bossake »

I dream about a day when gambling will be forbidden. we in Romania the most "shops" are the betting ones. small places where you can bet or play slot machines.

* I bet maybe 10 times in my life, i hate this.

but honestly i think seriously to bet in the win of Israel in Kosovo :D
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

fabiomh wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 19:16

yes, agree, the same in Italy. Much more people addicted to a similar lottery in Italy too.

In the 80's, there was no national lottery, most betting was illegal, Totocalcio was the only legal game, and it collected 80 billions Liras (40 m euros) per week. Nowadays it has many competitors which are now legal, and it collects only 100k euros per week.
And even if you do win the damn thing, there's a very good chance it will ruin your life. Loads of people go broke or even bankrupt and it destroys relationships.
Jackson Harrison

Lorric wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 20:10

And even if you do win the damn thing, there's a very good chance it will ruin your life. Loads of people go broke or even bankrupt and it destroys relationships.
I know I heard a story of a man who blew all his millions on lavish holidays and went bankrupt and his wife left him. Where do you stand on the betting age for lotteries debate? I'm in favour of 18 to be honest.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

True. I can add also that gambling in same cases cause depressions. And depression is strictly related with thoughts of committing a suicide.

I agree with @bossake , I also dream when one day it will be forbidden. At first it seems to be a great fun, but more you play, you become more and more addicted. At the end gambling is like a monster who 'eats' an addicted person completely.
Jackson Harrison

Greyn wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 21:25

True. I can add also that gambling in same cases cause depressions. And depression is strictly related with thoughts of committing a suicide.

I agree with @bossake , I also dream when one day it will be forbidden. At first it seems to be a great fun, but more you play, you become more and more addicted. At the end gambling is like a monster who 'eats' an addicted person completely.
You said you used to bet, how much would you say you lost from betting?, did you ever win anything?, did you need any help getting off betting and did you ever have any such ideal thoughts?

Just interested how much of a hold it took on your life, don't answer if you don't want to I appreciate it's a sensitive subject.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 21:39
You said you used to bet, how much would you say you lost from betting?, did you ever win anything?, did you need any help getting off betting and did you ever have any such ideal thoughts?

Just interested how much of a hold it took on your life, don't answer if you don't want to I appreciate it's a sensitive subject.
Normally I would never share this story on a forum, but if my story will prevent at least one person from betting or gambling in general, then ok, here it is.

I started betting in the middle school times, at the age of 16 or something in a local betting points in my city. Stakes were minimum - 2PLN ~ 0.5EUR. I noticed that it is a great fun and make watching matches much more entertaining. Well, after years later it turned out to be an illusion.

After gaining an internet connection in my house, I started betting in the internet, foreign companies. It was even "better" because I did not have to pay taxes and was much more comfortable. I could bet every time every day without leaving my house.

At first it was very profitable for me. I used bookmaker bonuses that were giving me a mathematical advantage over them, so at the end I was earning some money. I had everything under control and I thought it is a nice way to make some extra money.

Finally, after 10 years of having gambling "under control" I lost any control. I was more and more greedy. Started not only betting, but also playing video slots. After a bigger loss, I wanted to get my money back as quickly as possible. After losing all money, I started lying to my mother and brother that I need money to buy something, but the true was that I needed money for gambling.

Final of this story is that I lost 30 000PLN (7.500EUR) in 3 days. I experienced a real nightmare after that. At the end I solved this problem myself, without anyone's help. I simply was so devastated mentally and so shocked with what I have done that I never gambled anymore.
anty1975

Post by anty1975 »

I don't think banning betting altogether is a good idea because you will just push gamblers into black market and everything will be 100 times worse, Obviously betting is not for everyone, some people can easily control themselves and stop when you need to stop others can't. But at least now in most countries you have stricter rules, betting companies must check source of income of their clients so you wouldn't be allowed to lose your last money.
Jackson Harrison

Greyn wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 22:19
Jackson Harrison wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 21:39

Normally I would never share this story on a forum, but if my story will prevent at least one person from betting or gambling in general, then ok, here it is.

I started betting in the middle school times, at the age of 16 or something in a local betting points in my city. Stakes were minimum - 2PLN ~ 0.5EUR. I noticed that it is a great fun and make watching matches much more entertaining. Well, after years later it turned out to be an illusion.

After gaining an internet connection in my house, I started betting in the internet, foreign companies. It was even "better" because I did not have to pay taxes and was much more comfortable. I could bet every time every day without leaving my house.

At first it was very profitable for me. I used bookmaker bonuses that were giving me a mathematical advantage over them, so at the end I was earning some money. I had everything under control and I thought it is a nice way to make some extra money.

Finally, after 10 years of having gambling "under control" I lost any control. I was more and more greedy. Started not only betting, but also playing video slots. After a bigger loss, I wanted to get my money back as quickly as possible. After losing all money, I started lying to my mother and brother that I need money to buy something, but the true was that I needed money for gambling.

Final of this story is that I lost 30 000PLN (7.500EUR) in 3 days. I experienced a real nightmare after that. At the end I solved this problem myself, without anyone's help. I simply was so devastated mentally and so shocked with what I have done that I never gambled anymore.
Inteteresting sad story. I bet you never expected to get dragged into that much, are you still ever tempted?
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 22:47
Inteteresting sad story. I bet you never expected to get dragged into that much, are you still ever tempted?
I am not even a bit tempted anymore. I simply want to puke when I see anything gambling related. I only check odds from time to time when I am curious to know what are the chances for some event to happen, but I am not tempted to bet even a single penny definitely.
Jackson Harrison

Greyn wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 22:59
Jackson Harrison wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 22:47
I am not even a bit tempted anymore. I simply want to puke when I see anything gambling related. I only check odds from time to time when I am curious to know what are the chances for some event to happen, but I am not tempted to bet even a single penny definitely.
So you'd no longer consider yourself an addict? When did you stop?
amenina

Post by amenina »