2023 Concacaf Gold Cup

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

Lorric wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 04:13 Mexico won 1-0. Was a pretty good game.
Did you stay up to watch it?
Jackson Harrison

mspm89 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 01:06
amenina wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 00:08
Jackson Harrison wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 22:43

I don't like how late they are! I'll be in bed will watch highlights in morning!
You need to get used to the late matches to watch the 2024 Copa America and of course the 2026 World Cup!
Matches in California, Seattle and Vancouver will be a bitch to follow for most regions of the world.
Tell me about it. WWC is bad enough one QF is at 2am when I'll probably set my alarm for 1:50am watch the match and then go back to bed about 4 and set my alarm for next match! Too late to stay up for me! These will be even worse!
amenina

Post by amenina »

Final
Mexico 1-0 Panama

amenina

Post by amenina »

Mexico won their 9th Gold Cup, now 2 ahead of USA with 7, while the remaining one was won by Canada.

Guillermo Ochoa won his record 5th Gold Cup.

amenina

Post by amenina »

Awards

Best player: Adalberto Carrasquill (Panama)
Top scorer: Jesus Ferreira (USA)
Best goalkeeper: Guillermo Ochoa (Mexico)
Fair play award: USA

mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Not much to say, congrats to Mexico I guess. Though Panama would've enjoyed this trophy a lot more. :(
Jackson Harrison

mspm89 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 21:04 Not much to say, congrats to Mexico I guess. Though Panama would've enjoyed this trophy a lot more. :(
Yes Panama took it more seriously!
Kamtedrejt

Post by Kamtedrejt »

I followed most of this tournament and I put my main focus on the 2nd tier sides. The picture for WCQ has become a bit more clear to me.

Here is how I see things for WCQ as of right now: (Remember CONCACAF has other than three hosts
🇺🇲 🇲🇽 🇨🇦 three direct spots + two playoff spots for the intercontinental playoffs)

Locks to qualify:

🇵🇦 Panama

In pole position to qualify:

🇯🇲 Jamaica

Decent chance to grab the last direct spot:

🇸🇻 El Salvador
🇨🇷 Costa Rica
🇭🇳 Honduras

Decent shot to grab a playoff spot:

🇭🇹 Haiti
🇬🇹 Guatemala
🇨🇼 Curaçao
🇸🇷 Suriname

Panama will go to the 2026 World Cup. I don't have any doubts. I'm also inclined to pick Jamaica. I see three nations battling it out for the last direct spot. Even though El Salvador had a subpar Gold Cup I favor them very slightly to grab the last direct spot. Costa Rica have fallen off hard and I could see them yet again as a playoff team just like in 2022. Honduras are right now behind El Salvador and Costa Rica but because of their pedigree you can't write them off either. I'd be surprised if a team qualify directly I didn't put in the three highest tiers.

I don't favour CONCACAF's fourth and fifth team in the intercontinental playoffs. So there will be only six CONCACAF teams at the 2026 World Cup as far as I'm concerned.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Kamtedrejt wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:01 I followed most of this tournament and I put my main focus on the 2nd tier sides. The picture for WCQ has become a bit more clear to me.

Here is how I see things for WCQ as of right now: (Remember CONCACAF has other than three hosts
🇺🇲 🇲🇽 🇨🇦 three direct spots + two playoff spots for the intercontinental playoffs)

Locks to qualify:

🇵🇦 Panama

🇯🇲 Jamaica

🇸🇻 El Salvador
🇨🇷 Costa Rica
🇭🇳 Honduras

🇭🇹 Haiti
🇬🇹 Guatemala
🇨🇼 Curaçao
🇸🇷 Suriname

Panama will go to the 2026 World Cup. I don't have any doubts. I'm also inclined to pick Jamaica. I see three nations battling it out for the last direct spot. Even though El Salvador had a subpar Gold Cup I favor them very slightly to grab the last direct spot. Costa Rica have fallen off hard and I could see them yet again as a playoff team just like in 2022. Honduras are right now behind El Salvador and Costa Rica but because of their pedigree you can't write them off either. I'd be surprised if a team qualify directly I didn't put in the three highest tiers.

I don't favour CONCACAF's fourth and fifth team in the intercontinental playoffs. So there will be only six CONCACAF teams at the 2026 World Cup as far as I'm concerned.
One thing though, Costa Rica still hold a pretty high ranking, currently 42nd though I don't know what effect the Gold Cup will have. Think they'd have enough to be seeded if they were a playoff team? And if so, they'd qualify?
Jackson Harrison

Lorric wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 13:05
Kamtedrejt wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:01 I followed most of this tournament and I put my main focus on the 2nd tier sides. The picture for WCQ has become a bit more clear to me.

Locks to qualify:

🇵🇦 Panama

🇯🇲 Jamaica

🇸🇻 El Salvador
🇨🇷 Costa Rica
🇭🇳 Honduras

🇭🇹 Haiti
🇬🇹 Guatemala
🇨🇼 Curaçao
🇸🇷 Suriname

One thing though, Costa Rica still hold a pretty high ranking, currently 42nd though I don't know what effect the Gold Cup will have. Think they'd have enough to be seeded if they were a playoff team? And if so, they'd qualify?
Even SA team won't be that high ranked as it's likely Venezuela, Bolivia or Paraguay! I think the 2 seeds will be the 2 Concacaf teams or 1 Concacaf team and the CAF team given no UEFA teams! A R1 draw against the Oceania team is effectively a Walkover. OFC might hope it's NZ that come second!
TommyChat

Post by TommyChat »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 14:33

Locks to qualify:

🇵🇦 Panama

🇯🇲 Jamaica

🇸🇻 El Salvador
🇨🇷 Costa Rica
🇭🇳 Honduras

🇭🇹 Haiti
🇬🇹 Guatemala
🇨🇼 Curaçao
🇸🇷 Suriname

Even SA team won't be that high ranked as it's likely Venezuela, Bolivia or Paraguay! I think the 2 seeds will be the 2 Concacaf teams or 1 Concacaf team and the CAF team given no UEFA teams! A R1 draw against the Oceania team is effectively a Walkover. OFC might hope it's NZ that come second!
Only Costa Rica are that high, the 7th and 8th Concacaf teams are not.
amenina

Post by amenina »

Pineda, Gray and Carrasquilla lead way in Gold Cup Best XI

https://www.concacaf.com/gold-cup/artic ... p-best-xi/

LOS ANGELES, California – The 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup has concluded following Mexico’s thrilling 1-0 victory over Panama in Sunday’s Final at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, California. There were many players who delivered great performances over the course of the tournament, yet these 11 players stood out the most at their respective positions.

Here is a look at the 2023 Gold Cup Best XI:

GK Guillermo Ochoa (MEX) – The winner of the Best GK Award for a second time (2019), Ochoa was brilliant for El Tricolor, allowing just two goals in six games, registering four clean sheets. Ochoa did not concede a goal in any of Mexico’s three knockout round matches.

DF Fidel Escobar (PAN) – Escobar was superb in the back for the Canaleros and finished the tournament with 10 steals, 16 clearances and a goal to help his side reach the Final.

DF Johan Vasquez (MEX) – It is no coincidence that in the five matches in which Vasquez played, Mexico won all five. The center back had five steals and eight clearances while completing more than 91 percent of his passes.

DF Jorge Sanchez (MEX) – Sanchez contributed at both ends, with six steals and nine clearances on the defensive end, while going forward on Mexico’s right flank he was a menace to defenders in taking four shots.

MF Luis Chavez (MEX) – Mexico’s free kick maestro served up one of his best in the 3-0 semifinal win versus Jamaica with a left-footed shot that curled into the top left corner of net. Chavez had two goals from 18 shots and chipped in with six steals and two clearances.

MF Adalberto Carrasquilla (PAN) – The 2023 Gold Cup’s Best Player Award winner had 14 steals, while contributing two assists. He also coolly converted the winning penalty in Panama’s 5-4 penalty shootout win over the United States in the semifinals.

MF Orbelin Pineda (MEX) – From start to finish Pineda was excellent. He scored two goals and had three steals, but his finest moment came in the Final when he supplied the assist on Santiago Gimenez’s title-winning goal.

MF Edgar Barcenas (PAN) – The tireless Barcenas finished the tournament with 15 steals and three clearances, while going forward he had two goals from 12 shots.

MF Demarai Gray (JAM) – Gray made the most in his first matches with Jamaica, scoring two goals and chipping in with two assists while completing 86 percent of his passes for the Reggae Boyz.

FW Jesus Ferreira (USA) – The winner of the Top Scorer Award finished the tournament with seven goals and made history along the way by becoming the first player in Gold Cup history to score a hat trick in two different Gold Cup matches in the same edition.

FW Ismael Diaz (PAN) – Diaz was lethal up top for the Canaleros, scoring four goals and collecting an assist, plus adding a steal. He also made history by scoring the fastest hat trick in Gold Cup history with his three-goal burst in 10 minutes in the 4-0 quarterfinal win over Qatar.

Kamtedrejt

Post by Kamtedrejt »

Locks to qualify:

🇵🇦 Panama

🇯🇲 Jamaica

🇸🇻 El Salvador
🇨🇷 Costa Rica
🇭🇳 Honduras

🇭🇹 Haiti
🇬🇹 Guatemala
🇨🇼 Curaçao
🇸🇷 Suriname

Yeah, they have a high ranking. However I'm pretty down on them. I would like the AFC's nineth team's or Bolivia's chances or whoever finishes 7th in CONMEBOL to beat Costa Rica. Costa Rica are a shadow of their former selves and living off their pedigree. Not that much quality in their team anymore.
perica

Post by perica »

Gold cup 2025. Any idea how to qualify?
amenina

Post by amenina »

perica wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 18:39 Gold cup 2025. Any idea how to qualify?
Through 2024/25 CONCACAF Nations League. Exact method to be confirmed by CONCACAF.